Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which King book did you NOT like??

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Eyes of the Dragon was pretty dull and i won't be reading it again
    Your loss, Tom!

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 06-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Did you like EOTD then Siep? I know it has Dark Tower connections but ... thats still not enough for me

Interesting to see that you weren't fond of Insomnia which is one of my favourite King books

Yes, dull would be the word I'd use to describe Insomnia, definitely not The Eyes of the Dragon.
    The former I only read once; I can't really remember why I didn't like it.
    Just dull, I suppose.
    The Eyes of the Dragon I read twice; both times it struck me as an excellent fairy tale, full of intrigue and..Randall Flagg.

sk

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour tweetygirl0606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Well, only one thing to do: start re-reading this series!
    Hopefully with different results this time!

sk
    Will do frik51 !! Can't hurt..I may get a whole new outlook on the series!!

You won't regret it!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed MrRoland's Avatar
    I didn't care much for Gerald's Game when it first came out, but I grew to like it more.

The Dark Tower has been my most enduring disappointment, not the whole series just the last two books, but especially the last. The ending didn't bother me so much as the other events and characters getting short shrift. A lot of buildup with little payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoland View Post
    The Dark Tower has been my most enduring disappointment, A lot of buildup with little payoff.
    Unfortunately, I agree.
    I loved the first four books, but was not impressed whatsoever with the final three.

sk

I still reall enjoyed the final 3 books!

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I still reall enjoyed the final 3 books!
    They were great! Wolves of the Calla needs more love! So does The Dark Tower!

What I really like is the fact that
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    But they have to compete with The Drawing of the Three, The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass; with these three standouts in the series, The Wolves and The Dark Tower pale in comparison. King rushed them out and it shows.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed goathunter's Avatar
    'Salem's Lot is the first adult novel I remember reading. I was a major King fan from then (1976) until the mid-'80s. I hated The Tommyknockers, and after The Dark Half, I stopped reading King. I didn't read any more of his work until everyone was raving about The Green Mile, which I read and loved. Since then, I've read half-a-dozen others and found them OK, but nothing great.

I forgot---I did read one more after The Dark Half---the uncut edition of The Stand. While some of the extra scenes were good, the book as a whole was, IMO, ruined by the half-assed attempt to change the setting to 1990.

Of the recent books I've read, the one I didn't like at all was Under the Dome.

Hunter
    Last edited by goathunter; 07-12-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added more info

I've heard mixed reviews of 'The Tommyknockers' too but i'm yet to read it.

It's ok. Not one of the best, but certainly not one of King's worst either.

sk

Hmm... to me, I thought "Cell" ended badly. I don't like stories that really have no resolution.

Some of his short stories - The Mangler? Wow. Of all the things in the world I would classify as "scary", a clothes press certainly isn't on that list.

In a general, overreaching sense, his books are often so similar that I find I'm not always in the mood for them, or I'll start one and get halfway through it. I do think he tends to really drag things out sometimes, and by now his character types seem almost like caricatures. I'm still a "buy everything he puts out" person, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll read them these days. I like the older stuff a lot more.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiabei View Post
    Hmm... to me, I thought "Cell" ended badly. I don't like stories that really have no resolution.

Some of his short stories - The Mangler? Wow. Of all the things in the world I would classify as "scary", a clothes press certainly isn't on that list.

In a general, overreaching sense, his books are often so similar that I find I'm not always in the mood for them, or I'll start one and get halfway through it. I do think he tends to really drag things out sometimes, and by now his character types seem almost like caricatures. I'm still a "buy everything he puts out" person, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll read them these days. I like the older stuff a lot more.
    I'm usually not very partial to endings that are unresolved, but I have to say that I did like Cell's ending. I guess because I was already thinking ahead and wrapped it up for myself.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I don't think it mattered what happened. That wasn't the point. The point of the story was that King feels Mankind needs to be rebooted or reinvented in order to progress as a race and getting him to that point was the important part. Where it goes from there is unknown, but something needs to happen. Might as well be a pulse.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    I'm usually not very partial to endings that are unresolved, but I have to say that I did like Cell's ending. I guess because I was already thinking ahead and wrapped it up for myself.
    What ending? lol. But I agree with Squire even though it still pisses me off that it didnt end

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    For me it has to be The Tommyknockers closely followed by Delores Claiborne. Have re read The Tommyknockers twice and found it a struggle each time. I think I read somewhere that King wrote it at the peak of his recreational pharmaceutical use and I think it shows in the writing.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    Delores claiborne was great. I read slow unless I get really into something. Instead of a several month span I read it in about 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    I don't think it mattered what happened. That wasn't the point. The point of the story was that King feels Mankind needs to be rebooted or reinvented in order to progress as a race and getting him to that point was the important part. Where it goes from there is unknown, but something needs to happen. Might as well be a pulse.
    Well, I prefer books that actually have some type of resolution, because I don't personally enjoy spending the time to read something that leaves everything up in the air. Brian Keene's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" was horrible in that respect as well. I don't think that I should have to write my own ending, but that's just me. It seems like a cop-out to end a book without resolving anything.