Which King book did you NOT like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which King book did you NOT like??

Ok, he's a great author, but nobody's perfect.....is there a King book your really DIDN'T like? The only only I would say I didn't like was Tommyknockers....I haven't read it since it first came out, but I stopped half way through.

You know, I didn't like the Complete & Uncut Version of The Stand.

The original is one of his best; but in updating it for a new generation, SK told us that the title was a lie--this is not the version he originally intended, it's what he now wanted it to be. He updated a lot of the action to the 90's successfully, but left little details of the 70's hanging (ex. Stu redman's brother having worked for $.35/hour ten years before--1970 in the original, 1980 in the new version). I don't know who edited the book, but it was a crappy job and they should have been fired--wait a minute, didn't King edit it himself?

And I thought the episode with Tom Cullen and The Kid in the Rocky Mountains added nothing to the story, except maybe another gag reflex.
    Last edited by srboone; 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Interesting point on The Stand. I have, but never read the original. I'll have to add that to the TBR pile.

Comment

Read it and you'll never go back to the 90's version. The "Complete" version is a curio to be kept and collected, but not really read.

And the ending (Flagg's reapearance as another R.F. character) cheapens the sacrifice made by Larry, Glenn and Ralph.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

There's too many to list lol. "It", "Gerald's Game"...But I think "Desperation" was the worst for me....just couldn't get into the story at all.

Comment

Wow, "It" as a Stephen King book not liked......to each their own I guess.

I remember just kinda feeling ehhhhh by the end of "From A Buick Eight".... The only Stephen King book I have not read is "Tommyknockers" though, which I just received. From what I have heard regarding it, it may take the place of "From A Buick Eight" for me.

Comment

There have been a few, but my off-the-top-of-my-head answer is Insomnia. It felt really disjointed, and forced in some places. (That's just my vague memory; I haven't read it since it first came out.)

Comment

I'm pretty sure King himself is quoted somewhere as saying he felt Insomnia was a novel that tried to hard.. I believe he said the same thing about Rose Madder.

Comment

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon kinda left me cold.....ok....luke-warm...
                  Plus Insomnia isn't really one of my favorites either.
                  Time for a re-read, I think.

sk

Comment

I can only think of one King novel that I simply did not like and that was Rose Madder. I will say that the Complete and Uncut The Stand and Insomnia are my two favorite of his novel length stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I can only think of one King novel that I simply did not like and that was Rose Madder.
                      AAAAhhhhhhh.Rose Madder is one of my all-time favorites. Especially the first half is amazingly strong - harrowing even.

sk

Comment

I agree with Rose Madder. I couldn't figure out what it was I didn't care for, then I read a review (I always read reviews after I read the book) that said it read like an outline, and that felt right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup View Post
                          Wow, "It" as a Stephen King book not liked......to each their own I guess.

I remember just kinda feeling ehhhhh by the end of "From A Buick Eight".... The only Stephen King book I have not read is "Tommyknockers" though, which I just received. From what I have heard regarding it, it may take the place of "From A Buick Eight" for me.
                          I didn't like it because it was too long and I couldn't get interested in it. And I forgot about Insomnia..that's another one I don't like even though I bought the limited edition way back in the 90's. I was going to sell it on the bay but ended the listing at the last second. I had a lot of "watchers" and knew it was going to sell, but it's number 9, the only single digit limited edition I have by King, so I had to keep it.

Comment

Like a few have already posted, I'd say Insomnia is the top of the do not like list. It is the only book of his that I picked up and put down a few times before pushing myself to finish. The funny thing is that I had left a bookmark in the page so when I finally pushed through I just picked up where I left off and finished it. I couldn't bear the idea of starting all over.

Comment

I've probably only read a dozen or so of his books so far but the 2 I couldn't get into were The Eyes of the Dragon, gave up after 100 pages, and Carrie which I just started. Insomnia started slow but then picked up about a third of the way in for me. I really enjoy his short story collections, although I think I tend to go for them more in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X