Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which King book did you NOT like??

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar

Which King book did you NOT like??

Ok, he's a great author, but nobody's perfect.....is there a King book your really DIDN'T like? The only only I would say I didn't like was Tommyknockers....I haven't read it since it first came out, but I stopped half way through.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    You know, I didn't like the Complete & Uncut Version of The Stand.

The original is one of his best; but in updating it for a new generation, SK told us that the title was a lie--this is not the version he originally intended, it's what he now wanted it to be. He updated a lot of the action to the 90's successfully, but left little details of the 70's hanging (ex. Stu redman's brother having worked for $.35/hour ten years before--1970 in the original, 1980 in the new version). I don't know who edited the book, but it was a crappy job and they should have been fired--wait a minute, didn't King edit it himself?

And I thought the episode with Tom Cullen and The Kid in the Rocky Mountains added nothing to the story, except maybe another gag reflex.
    Last edited by srboone; 03-15-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Interesting point on The Stand. I have, but never read the original. I'll have to add that to the TBR pile.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Read it and you'll never go back to the 90's version. The "Complete" version is a curio to be kept and collected, but not really read.

And the ending (Flagg's reapearance as another R.F. character) cheapens the sacrifice made by Larry, Glenn and Ralph.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication theenormityofitall's Avatar
    There's too many to list lol. "It", "Gerald's Game"...But I think "Desperation" was the worst for me....just couldn't get into the story at all.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Wow, "It" as a Stephen King book not liked......to each their own I guess.

I remember just kinda feeling ehhhhh by the end of "From A Buick Eight".... The only Stephen King book I have not read is "Tommyknockers" though, which I just received. From what I have heard regarding it, it may take the place of "From A Buick Eight" for me.

Junior Member Visitor
    There have been a few, but my off-the-top-of-my-head answer is Insomnia. It felt really disjointed, and forced in some places. (That's just my vague memory; I haven't read it since it first came out.)

I'm pretty sure King himself is quoted somewhere as saying he felt Insomnia was a novel that tried to hard.. I believe he said the same thing about Rose Madder.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon kinda left me cold.....ok....luke-warm...
    Plus Insomnia isn't really one of my favorites either.
    Time for a re-read, I think.

sk

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    I can only think of one King novel that I simply did not like and that was Rose Madder. I will say that the Complete and Uncut The Stand and Insomnia are my two favorite of his novel length stories.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I can only think of one King novel that I simply did not like and that was Rose Madder.
    AAAAhhhhhhh.Rose Madder is one of my all-time favorites. Especially the first half is amazingly strong - harrowing even.

sk

Junior Member Visitor
    I agree with Rose Madder. I couldn't figure out what it was I didn't care for, then I read a review (I always read reviews after I read the book) that said it read like an outline, and that felt right to me.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication theenormityofitall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by folgersnyourcup View Post
    Wow, "It" as a Stephen King book not liked......to each their own I guess.

I remember just kinda feeling ehhhhh by the end of "From A Buick Eight".... The only Stephen King book I have not read is "Tommyknockers" though, which I just received. From what I have heard regarding it, it may take the place of "From A Buick Eight" for me.
    I didn't like it because it was too long and I couldn't get interested in it. And I forgot about Insomnia..that's another one I don't like even though I bought the limited edition way back in the 90's. I was going to sell it on the bay but ended the listing at the last second. I had a lot of "watchers" and knew it was going to sell, but it's number 9, the only single digit limited edition I have by King, so I had to keep it.

Like a few have already posted, I'd say Insomnia is the top of the do not like list. It is the only book of his that I picked up and put down a few times before pushing myself to finish. The funny thing is that I had left a bookmark in the page so when I finally pushed through I just picked up where I left off and finished it. I couldn't bear the idea of starting all over.

Senior Member Inmate
    I've probably only read a dozen or so of his books so far but the 2 I couldn't get into were The Eyes of the Dragon, gave up after 100 pages, and Carrie which I just started. Insomnia started slow but then picked up about a third of the way in for me. I really enjoy his short story collections, although I think I tend to go for them more in general.

Several of King's books started out as good ideas, but those good ideas got lost when trying to tie the story into the DT series. Insomnia and Black House come immediaely to mind. Insomnia started out good, but then just kept going and going and going...Black House suffered from an unknown narrator for the first 100 pages, then got really good, then when off the deep end.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed the_last_gunslinger's Avatar
    Lisey's Story, definitely a book I absolutely did not enjoy. It was too long considering how weak the plot was, and the flashback within a flashback within a flashback was awfully difficult to follow.

Dolores Claiborne and The Eyes of the Dragon were also difficult reads, as well as The Talisman. These are the only books of his I'd say I actually did not like.

Junior Member Visitor
    I have to go with Thinner. That book annoyed me for some reason to the point where I almost didn't finish it and it was a short book for Stephen King.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    Lisey's Story, definitely a book I absolutely did not enjoy.
    I really liked this one, though I will admit it seemed a bit hard to get into initially, but did get to where I was liking it quite a bit.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed the_last_gunslinger's Avatar
    I really liked this one, though I will admit it seemed a bit hard to get into initially, but did get to where I was liking it quite a bit.
    I can see why it held appeal for some; it clearly was an important book that probably reflected more of Stephen King's own personal fears, (famous author dies, leaving behind beloved wife). There are some definite parallels to King's own life. And that's probably why he feels it's his best work. The problem, I think, is that the horror doesn't resonate with the common reader. It was too personal and thus, I felt slightly disconnected from the story.

I did like the concept of Boo'ya moon, though, and I thought the crazed man attempting to gain access to some of the author's unpublished stories actually made for a better narrative than the whole love lost thing. I kind of wish he had placed more emphasis on that aspect. I might have liked it a little more.