No announcement yet.

Lucian Poll's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap!! That boy about freaked me out and I work with the disabled.Would love to see a picture of what he looks like now.I thought it was trick photograph at first.

Comment

Hello again. How about another dose of covers? Coming right up! This antepenultimate post on The Unexplained covers issues 129 to 137:

And a quick once-over the contents of each issue:

Issue 129
      Eliphas Levi
      Altantis in the Bahamas?
      China's psychic children
      The Thornton murders
      'Invisible' UFOs
      (The image is a magical design known as a Goetic circle used in infernal evocations - "the raising of the denizen's of hell to visible appearance". It accompanies an article that discusses whether famed ritual magician Eliphas Levi was all he was cracked up to be.)

Issue 130
      Miracle cures
      Secrets of the ancients
      Where is everybody?
      The road to Altantis?
      Benson Herbert
      (The image is the cover of the Spring 1942 issue of Planet Stories and accompanies the "Where is everybody?" article. The image can also be found on the Wikepedia entry for Planet Stories magazine:

Issue 131
      Search for ETI
      Miracles of the Virgin
      Regression: the facts
      Great Lakes Triangle
      The Ripper murders
      (The image from this 1983 issue's cover is an artist's impression of a space telescope that may be used in the search for ETI - Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. The Hubble Space Telescope had an original launch target of 1983 so maybe this painting was an early concept piece? Probably not, but it's still pretty cool.)

Issue 132
      Talking to aliens
      Ripper riddle - solved?
      One man's earthquake
      Life before life?
      Croiset's critics
      (The image is an etching of the discovery of Jack the Ripper's fifth victim. Here's the full picture:

Issue 133
      Sex and psi
      Masons, royalty and the Ripper
      Lakes' legends: the facts
      Gillan's grave
      Andrija Puharich
      (The image is an engraving from 1896 called Satana, by Fidus, which was the pseudonym used by German illustrator, painter and publisher Hugo Reinhold Karl Johann Höppener.)

Issue 134
      UFOs from Ummo
      Sex, sorcery and seances
      Reincarnated twins
      Joanna Southcott
      Solectrics on test
      (The image is detail from an 1814 cartoon entitled "Joanna Southcott the prophetess excommunicating the bishops". Here's a high-quality image of the whole piece from Yale University's website:

Issue 135
      News from Ummo
      Amazing French poltergeist
      Bloxham tapes debunked?
      Observation theory
      A new twist to PK
      (The image accompanies an article regarding a series of extraordinary letters and phone calls received by a group of Madrid ufologists in 1967 from creatures who insisted they hailed from the planet Ummo. "A professor in the faculty of medicine at Madrid University allegedly received through the post a small cube that was smooth, black and metallic on all sides bar one; the remaining side had a translucent screen. Accompanying instructions told him to speak a certain sequence of vowels - upon which the little screen lit up, and the professor saw a live specimen of a nerve cell. It is said that the professor filmed the entire incident - but his name has been withheld and the whereabouts of the film unknown." Cool!)

Issue 136
      Geller's guru
      Betty and Barney's lost hours
      Just a coincidence?
      Changing the past
      Southcott's saga
      ("The photograph [is] of an alleged UFO in mid-flight (jagged line on left) and a 'space being'". The photograph was taken by Andrija Puharich at Mill Hill, North London, on 24th May 1974. Believe me, the photo is no clearer in the magazine. It could be anything!)

Issue 137
      Ummo: true or false?
      St Joan: child of God?
      Miracles of St Medard
      Pursued by a poltergeist
      Salem: the madness begins
      (The image shows Joan of Arc riding into Orléans after the English withdrew. The accompanying article discusses the mysterious 'voices' that "impelled her inexorably towards her amazing military triumphs - and a martyr's death.")
      The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
      Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
      ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Hi, bookworm. When I saw that particular photo I knew I had to include it here! Pop his name into Google images and you'll see some incredible images of other unfortunate people with the same (and sometimes more extreme) condition. And Halle Berry in a bikini top. Swear to God, I don't know how the internet works sometimes...

Anyway, here's a picture of how the lad looks following the surgery:

Comment

Google can give you some interesting results.

Comment

That reminds of an episode of a cartoon (Futurama) in which the main character falls in love with a mermaid but when he realized the way in which they would have relations (like a fish would, one releases eggs, they other, as the mermaid said, "fertilizer") he said, "Why couldn’t she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom?!"

Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
            Thanks, bookworm. I still wouldn't like to find the Fejee mermaid nibbling my toes. The other mermaid, however... Anyway, before things get super-weird here's another cover!

Comment

Hi, Joe. I've not seen Futurama for ages! Not since its return, anyway. I remember a similar gag in Family Guy, only with Lois smacking down a sexually-agressive merman and, being fish-top and man-bottom, it just flapping around on the floor uselessly. Now that's a show I'd kill to write for. I'd post my entire Family Guy box set collection here, but that's not really in keeping with a horror fiction forum!

Comment

I forgot about that episode.

Comment

Evening all. Time for me to dip my toes into The Unexplained again, this time issues 138 to 146:

And here, in time-honoured fashion, is a look through the contents:

Issue 138
                  Shamanism
                  Haunted Penkaet Castle?
                  Peter Hurkos challenged
                  Joanna Southcott's box
                  Betty Hill's star map
                  (The image is detail from "a painting from the journals of Father Nicholas Point" from the article on shamanism. "It's caption reads: 'One becomes a medicine man only after making a pilgrimage during which he [sic] prays fervently, fasts from four to eight days, and eventually receives a "sign" from a bear, a red deer, a green ram, or perhaps even a monster.")

Issue 139
                  How old is man?
                  Saucers as scapegoats?
                  Salem's grim legacy
                  Psychic dentistry
                  St. Joan: witch?
                  (The image is from an article on the origins of man. It shows a reconstruction of "skull 1470" by Meave Leakey, which was found by her husband at Koobi Fora in Kenya. "The blue material does duty for missing parts of the fossil.")

Issue 140
                  Practical ufology
                  The soul and the shaman
                  Ghost of Ardachie Lodge
                  Miracle in Tibet
                  Teleportations
                  (Not a classic cover! The image shows "one of the many unidentified objects over Montserrat." This is the mountain district of Montserrat in Spain, not the Caribbean island that was nearly destroyed by a volcano in the mid-1990s.)

Issue 141
                  Life: a fine balance
                  UFOs: who's watching who?
                  Ancestral arguments
                  The Vandy mystery
                  End of Ardachie
                  (The image is detail from the frontispiece of a Lutheran bible of 1534 and fronts an article on those who reckon the Universe was created by an intelligent being for intelligent beings to live in: the anthropic principle. It's a philosophical debate I won't go into here, you'll be glad to hear. Instead here's the full image, which, while not my bag, is striking all the same:

Issue 142
                  The angels of Mons
                  Modern witchcraft exposed
                  Legend of Prester John
                  Isa Northage - medium
                  Neanderthals today?
                  (The image is from The Illustrated London News. "Patriotic Britons in the First World War, convinced that their cause was a righteous one, eagerly seized on news that their army had received supernatural aid from ghostly archers, angels - even St. George himself." Here's the full image:

Issue 143
                  No angels at Mons?
                  Message from a drowned man?
                  UFOs: the great cover up?
                  Ghost of Fyvie Castle
                  Witches - and worse
                  (The image is a German illustration from 1555 of a witch being burnt at the stake. Goodness knows what is grabbing the other witch by the throat!)

Issue 144
                  Secret UFO files
                  The Schneider brothers
                  Ghost with wet boots
                  Prester John: found?
                  The dead speak out
                  (The image shows the Camperdown ramming the Victoria on 22 June 1893, as depicted by the French magazine Le Petit Journal. "The Admiral seemed a trifle absent-minded as he ordered his flagship to her doom. Was he also 'absent in spirit' - on a ghostly visit to his London home?")

Issue 145
                  Croglin vampire
                  Mons: who were the angels?
                  The mystery of mazes
                  English MIB threat
                  Birth and re-birth
                  (The image is an illustration from James Rymer's Varney the vampire, published in 1847.)

Issue 146
                  UFO picture gallery
                  Raymond Lodge returns
                  The Judge Hornby case
                  UFOs: an open secret?
                  The Schneider scandal
                  Can animals think?
                  (The image accompanies an article on animal intelligence. It is an 18th century illustration of a learned pig "well versed in all languages" and "a perfect Arithmetician, Mathematician and Composer of Musick". There were many learned pigs doing the rounds and they were mostly, if not all, owned by showmen - I reckon we can all imagine how these animals "learned" their craft...)

That's all for now. I'll post the final round of covers tomorrow.

Comment

How do, everyone. This is it, the last of The Unexplained covers. These photos cover the issues 147 to 157, plus a few odds and ends to wrap things up:

And here is a rundown of the contents of each issue:

Issue 147
                    Pied Piper - fact?
                    Born to be psychic?
                    The inventor of psi
                    A dolphin's world
                    Mirabelli
                    (The image is of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. The illustration, along with a few others in the article, is taken from a 19th-century German book: Der Rattenfänger von Hameln. I love that word: Rättenfanger!)

Issue 148
                    Meaning of colour
                    Mazes: the inside story
                    The way of Subud
                    Freud and psi
                    Iridology
                    (The image accompanies an article on iridology - detecting illness through the markings in the iris. "A dark area and a separation of the fibres at the 'two o' clock' position in the iris of this right eye indicate an underactive thyroid gland. A 'lymphatic rosary' is also visible - a circle of patches near the outer edge of the iris, indicating congestion of the lymphatic system.")

Issue 149
                    Jung and psi
                    Who killed William Rufus?
                    American kangaroos
                    Dead soldier's tale
                    Bright beasts
                    (My photography skills fail me again, but, through the glare, the image shows a finch using a thorn to poke out a grub from a crevice in some tree bark. It "holds the thorn under once claw and eats the grub, then resumes its probing.")

Issue 150
                    Radionics
                    Pontefract's poltergeist
                    Livingston UFO terror
                    Princes in the Tower
                    The French prophet
                    (The image shows the Two Princes, a famous disappearance from the history books, as depicted in a 19th-century painting by Paul Delaroche.)

Issue 151
                    A female Pope?
                    Eugene Aram: innocent?
                    Zigmund Jan Adamski
                    More than mere pets
                    The miracle machine
                    (The image: "Pope Joan is delivered of a child in the midst of a papal procession in this 15th-century illustration from Boccaccio's Decameron." Pope Joan's papacy is believed to be between 855 and 858, though this is open to argument, as is the existence of Pope Joan herself. This made for an amusing question on a popular quiz show here in the UK called QI that revealed an unusual requirement of medieval Popes to sit on a special throne with a hole cut in the seat, so that a cardinal could put a hand through and check the pontiff for testicles. Again this is open to conjecture, but very funny nonetheless!)

Issue 152
                    Sacred geometry
                    Swedenborg's strange world
                    Edgar Allan Poe: murderer?
                    An answer to Livingston?
                    Roy - king of deceit
                    (The image is of Leonardo Da Vinci's iconic 'Vitruvian Man' from the article on sacred geometry.)

Issue 153
                    Magnetic people
                    Valentine Greatrakes - healer
                    Adamski: UFO drama
                    Sacred symbolism
                    World of fantasy
                    (The image is "a painting by a drug addict showing visions experienced as withdrawal symptoms" from an article that discusses people who live in a dream world all the time.)

Issue 154
                    Birth of the gods
                    The Western witch doctor
                    Pachita: psychic surgeon
                    The Campden wonder
                    A walk with death
                    (The image illustrates a young girl called Durdana's impression of God following a near-death experience. "When asked to describe what God looked like, she could only say 'blue'." I'm not sure where the flora comes into it, but there you go.)

Issue 155
                    The case for God
                    Faces from another world?
                    Krakatoa: a true story?
                    Twilight of the gods
                    Left and right brain
                    (The image is detail from a 17th-century painting by Peter Paul Rubens called Achilles Slays Hector. It accompanies an article on how we no longer see signs from gods and godesses - the twilight of the gods. Here's the full image:

Issue 156
                    The Oz factor
                    Reality: a Fortean view
                    The great psi debate
                    A healthy forecast?
                    Modern myths
                    (The image is a still from the 1939 film The Wizard Of Oz. The article discusses timelessness and a feeling of dislocation associated with close encounters with UFOs.)

And finally there is issue 157, which is an index of the entire 3 year run of The Unexplained. Beneath these issues you can see the glossy jacket that held issue 1, and the (folded up) poster that accompanied it. (The full poster is little more than a large advertisment.)

So that's it for this run of covers. Once again I must thank Partworks.co.uk for kindly including these loose covers with my purchase of these books. It was unexpected, beyond the call of duty and, above all, really appreciated.

I hope these covers have sparked interest in some of the topics covered. It's given me a few ideas for stories if nothing else!

Comment

That is great!!!!!! I also like the new posts very interesting stuff.You seem very detail oriented.Makes me kind of envyous.It also makes me want to hunt down some of those magazines.
                      Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
                      Hi, bookworm. When I saw that particular photo I knew I had to include it here! Pop his name into Google images and you'll see some incredible images of other unfortunate people with the same (and sometimes more extreme) condition. And Halle Berry in a bikini top. Swear to God, I don't know how the internet works sometimes...

Anyway, here's a picture of how the lad looks following the surgery:hat is great!!!!

Comment

Thanks, bookworm. I loved that photo too. I thought I'd post a bit of detail on each issue as the images are currently hosted via my blog. It's a just-in-case measure. That and it was a lot of fun digging through the books and the internet for updates on the stories. You may have gathered I'm also a sucker for a good picture!

I'm glad I've tickled your interest in the magazines. I note there aren't too many doing the rounds on eBay.com but there are a number of copies of the Reader's Digest's "Mysteries of the Unexplained". While I can't say I'm a massive fan of Reader's Digest (it reminds me too much of waiting rooms) the "Mysteries of the Unexplained" book is flat-out brilliant. I'll post an image of my copy in due course, but there are some truly excellent stories in there. The account of the waxwork of Monsieur Léopold-Lépide at Turner's Waxwork Theatre damn near froze my blood when I first read it - I even read it out to my English class at school around Halloween time when I was a lot younger. (Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking too.) Great stuff!

Comment

Hello all! It's been a while since I've disgraced this corner of the forum, due largely to a farrago of NaNoWriMo, Cemetery Dance's submission window and that whole Christmas thing. I thought this time I'd put on a few piccies that I took around the same time as The Unexplained magazine covers, but never got off my phone 'til now.

So here's one I bought from the Apple bookstore the other month...

I see this guy's going places!

Comment

...and a smashing collection that I've seen advertised in the latest issue of Cemetery Dance (#68):

It's not on Apple, but easily purchasable via Kindle. (Thanks for the accept for the Facebook group by the way, C.W. Very useful and some great names in there too! )

More pics to come. I'm trying to get hold of two fairly recent back issues of Black Static and then I'll put the whole run of covers on here with an index of stories. I hope that appeals!

All the best for 2013 in the meantime!

Comment

As mentioned earlier, here is a brief run of covers for Black Static, the UK's premier horror fiction magazine. The bi-monthly magazine has been running since 2007 and follows a similar format to Cemetery Dance, with around half a dozen stories in each issue along with book/DVD reviews, interviews and commentaries. A special mention must go to the artwork, though, as the standard is often of a high standard.

Okay, so here is a snap of issues 1 to 6 and a list of stories you can find inside.

Issue 1
                              Bury The Carnival by Simon Avery
                              Pale Saints And Dark Madonnas by Jamie Barras
                              Acton Undream by Daniel Bennett
                              Votary by M. K. Hobson
                              My Stone Desire by Joel Lane
                              Lady Of The Crows by Tim Casson
                              Includes Q&A with Michael Marshall Smith

Issue 2
                              In the Hole by Lisa Tuttle and Steven Utley
                              The Serpent & The Hatchet Gang by F. Brett Cox
                              Must See To Appreciate by Scott Nicholson
                              Unknown by Steve Rasnic Tem
                              In The Shape Of A Dragon by Melanie Fazi
                              Ash-Mouth by Lynda E. Rucker
                              Holding Pattern by Andrew Humphrey
                              Includes article on Mick Scully

Issue 3 (My favourite cover!)
                              The Pit by Alexander Glass
                              The Mist of Lichthafen by Seth Skorkowsky
                              The Sentinels by Tony Richards
                              The Difference Between by Ian R. Faulkner
                              The Morning After by Carole Johnstone
                              The Fantasy Jumper by Will McIntosh
                              The Toad And I by Matthew Holness
                              Includes Q&A with Sarah Langan

Issue 4
                              Cleaning The Western Kittiwake by Tyler Keevil
                              Atwater by Cody Goodfellow
                              Zombie by Conrad Williams
                              Salt by Nicholas Royle
                              Ye Shall Eat In Haste by Steve Nagy
                              This Much I Remember by Barry Fishler
                              Includes a Q&A with Conrad Williams

Issue 5
                              How Deep Is His Loneliness by Kathleen Winter
                              The Second Death Of Johan Klupe by Tim Casson
                              Night Game by Tony Richards
                              The Rising River by Daniel Kaysen
                              Winter Journey by Joel Lane
                              Slap by Gary McMahon
                              Less A Dream Than This We Know by Christopher M. Cevasco
                              Includes a Q&A with Jack Ketchum

Issue 6
                              The Better Part Of You by Simon Avery
                              Back On The Road by Melanie Fazi
                              Special Needs by Peter Tennant
                              En Saga by Nina Allen
                              All Mouth by Paul Meloy
                              Viva Las Vegas by Ray Cluley
                              Includes Q&A with Scott Sigler

Comment

Nice adds.

Comment

Working...
                                X