No announcement yet.

Lucian Poll's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool looking collection. The Unexplained books are just awesome!
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I think the unexplained books are cool as well. I like that kind of stuff.

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked The Unexplained. There's a nice story behind the collection. Being only five or six years old when the magazines came out I wasn't in much of a position to collect them, but a few years ago I had a mini-midlife crisis moment. (I guess you can say the moment is ongoing, hence the Eeries, the Creepys and so on!)

Anyway I was able to track down a full set of The Unexplained here: http://www.partworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d136.html. (It's a labour-of-love small business here in the UK.) I explained that I loved the covers of the magazines when I was younger, all moody black background with a stark circle of whatever featured in each issue, and wondered whether the covers had been retained. The owner replied saying that, sadly, the covers tended to be removed so that the content of each issue could run unbroken within each binder. I ordered a set regardless and was incredibly pleased to find the guy had put an unbroken run of covers from issue 30 to 156 in with my order, along with a couple of odds and ends from Issue 1. (You can slightly see them resting against my set of binders.)

Now that's customer service!

If you're curious I'll put the covers on here so you can get a feel for the spooky goings on in each issue. (Don't worry, I won't photograph each one individually, though it is a good way of getting my post count up!)
        The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
        Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
        ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

I would love to see the covers!
          Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
          Hi all. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked The Unexplained. There's a nice story behind the collection. Being only five or six years old when the magazines came out I wasn't in much of a position to collect them, but a few years ago I had a mini-midlife crisis moment. (I guess you can say the moment is ongoing, hence the Eeries, the Creepys and so on!)

Anyway I was able to track down a full set of The Unexplained here: http://www.partworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d136.html. (It's a labour-of-love small business here in the UK.) I explained that I loved the covers of the magazines when I was younger, all moody black background with a stark circle of whatever featured in each issue, and wondered whether the covers had been retained. The owner replied saying that, sadly, the covers tended to be removed so that the content of each issue could run unbroken within each binder. I ordered a set regardless and was incredibly pleased to find the guy had put an unbroken run of covers from issue 30 to 156 in with my order, along with a couple of odds and ends from Issue 1. (You can slightly see them resting against my set of binders.)

Now that's customer service!

If you're curious I'll put the covers on here so you can get a feel for the spooky goings on in each issue. (Don't worry, I won't photograph each one individually, though it is a good way of getting my post count up!)

Comment

No worries, Martin. Here's the first photo, covering issues 30 to 38. (I'll stagger them over a number of days so I don't hit you all with a datablast!)

In case the images are a little too fuzzy here are the articles mentioned on the covers.

Issue 30
            Dream experiments
            How to cast a horoscope
            Instrusions from elsewhere
            A regiment vanishes
            Coincidences
            (The image depicts the assassination of King Umberto I of Italy, whose death and important events in his life were closely paralleled by the life of another Umberto, a restaurant owner in Northern Italy.)

Issue 31
            Against all the odds
            Photographing ghosts
            Vanishing soldiers - found?
            Influence of the planets
            The master doswer
            (The image depicts a giant solar flare "perhaps as much as 100,000 miles in length")

Issue 32
            The Geller phenomenon
            Science and astrology
            Ghosts true and false
            Strange tricks of fate
            Criticisms of Kirlian
            OFOs filmed
            (The image depicts a very youthful-looking Uri Geller. And yes, the issue is full of spoon-bending!)

Issue 33
            When time slips
            Kirlian's tarnished aura
            Lethbridge's discoveries
            The meaning of coincidences
            UFOs and the computer (NB: Bear in mind this is from 1981!)
            (The image depicts "...a 'computer eye view' of a glowing disc seen over Colorado, USA")

Issue 34
            Mass hysteria
            Uri Geller tested
            Mysteries of the Moon
            Classic UFOs analysed
            Ghost hunter's guide
            (The image depicts the Nuremberg rallies, given as an example of mass hysteria.)

Issue 35
            The cosmic joke
            Leaps into the future
            UFO photos - facts and frauds
            Uri: psychic superstar
            Is death the end?
            (The image depicts detail from "Part of the huge block of ice that suddenly dropped out of the sky and almost hit meteorologist Dr Richard Griffiths in Manchester, England, on 2 April 1973. This photograph was taken through a polarising filter in an effort to determine the structure, and therefore the origin, of the ice - but it remains a complete mystery.")

Issue 36
            UFOs in action
            Ancient technology
            The impossible moon
            Miraculous rose petals
            A history of hysteria
            Ted Serios in focus
            (The image is of the Chicago Hilton, as thought onto film by Ted Serios (yes, with the power of his mind), who had actually intended to create an image of the Hilton Hotel at Denver.)

Issue 37
            The facts of death
            Encounter in Mendoza
            The moon's best-kept secrets
            A psychic contagion
            Man-made UFOs
            (The image is detail from a 16th century painting by Joachim Patinir of "a soul being ferried across the river of death - the Styx.")

Issue 38
            Irish lake monsters
            The UFO goes to war
            Mystery of the Welsh lights
            Timeslip mechanisms
            Puzzles from the past
            (The image is a depiction of "the Lough Dubh creature, described as being covered with bristles and having a hippo-like face with a horn on its snout.") (The image further down the page in question is much more to my liking, being a young witch trying to invoke a sea creature. In the nude, obviously. You gotta love those witches, man.)

Comment

Those are cool. I looked up the umberto story. Really interesting.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. Here's another photo covering issues 39 to 47:

As before here's a quick run through each cover:

Issue 39
                Spring-heeled Jack
                Lights of inspiration
                The history of werewolves
                Elusive Irish monsters
                Incorruptable corpses
                (The image is just your common-or-garden wolf, which is okay as wolves are cool.) (The story of Spring-heeled Jack, by the way, is utterly barmy. Almost a precursor to Batman in some ways.)

Issue 40
                The cyborg cover-up
                When the Welsh lights faded
                The werewolf transformation
                Fossils that do not fit
                Curse of the boy king
                (The image is of "an unmanned probe - not from space but from Westland, a British helicopter manufacturer." The article does have some interesting pictures of weird and wonderful experimental aircraft, including a flying wing, said probe, and a remotely piloted plane - these days all par for the course in a battle arena.) (I'd imagine.)

Issue 41
                A shock to science
                The 'Welsh triangle'
                Secrets of the grave
                Man into beast?
                Egyptian magic
                (The photograph: "A table levitates at a London sitting of Eusapia Palladino in 1903. Careful investigations ascribed some, at least, of her phenomena to 'some supernormal cause'.")

Issue 42
                Psi: the Cinderella science
                Images that bleed and weep
                UFOs at Ripperston Farm
                Master builders' secrets
                Mystery alchemist
                ("The shapes, cut out of plywood, are firmly linked, but the question is how this came about. Were they ingeneously made that way or were they linked paranormally?")

Issue 43
                Mind over metal
                Puzzling over pyramids
                The stigmatic phenomenon
                The phantom universe
                The jumping coffins
                ("Paperclips dropped into this glass ball were paranormally 'scrunched' into a fantastic shape by one of Professor Hasted's metal bending subjects.")

Issue 44
                The Alaise mystery
                Who are the stigmatics?
                Pyramid power assessed
                Welsh triangle - the facts
                The legend of Fulcanelli
                (The image relates to a spate of UFO sightings in Wales in the late 70's. It is an artists impression of the Coombs family's account of a UFO cirlcing some rocks near Ripperston Farm "then disappear into them as if through sliding doors". This looks like a week where the picture editor was on holiday!)

Issue 45
                Secrets of Alaise
                Attack by hostile UFOs?
                The legendary money pit
                The new view of reality
                A stroll into the past
                (The image is of Oak Island, Nova Scotia. The yellow areas are where the island has been excavated in the search for a fabled money pit, based on a rumour going back to 1795.)

Issue 46
                Timeslip at Dieppe
                American spook lights
                UFO catches fishermen
                Hypnosis: does it exist?
                Fulcanelli's secret
                (The image is an illustration of "spook lights" a.k.a. Will O' The Wisps and Jack O' Lanterns.)

Issue 47
                Lead into gold
                Disaster at the pit
                Mysteries of migration
                The healing trance
                Key to reality?
                (The image shows detail from an 18th century painting by Joesph Wright and fronts an article on alchemy called "The search for the Philosopher's stone".)

Comment

Great stuff! And welcome to the forum!!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, Pete.

I'll post another set of covers tomorrow. (One of them is perhaps my favourite of the whole collection.)

Comment

like the magazines.keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
                        Okay, here are a few more snaps.

I've always had a soft spot for horror comics. There were always a couple of ragged copies of Eerie floating around that just so happened to land in the hands of an impressionable pre-teen. I had often seen tatty old magazines for sale via eBay, but when Dark Horse started printing the entire run of both Creepy and Eerie in handsome hardback volumes I was a very happy (old) lad!
                        Hey, I got those as well!! Great set of books.
                        But, where are the Vampirella Archives???

sk

Comment

Hi frik. Great minds think alike!

Vampirella never really reached my darkened corner of the world so I'm not so familiar with the comic. It doesn't stop Amazon recommending the Vampirella Archives to me every time I log in, though! I might have to sample a couple of volumes in the future.

Comment

Thanks, bookworm. I'm glad you're enjoying the collection so far. Here's another photo, this time covering issues 48 to 56:

Here's a run through the covers and images:

Issue 48
                            The Elixir of Life
                            What killed the mammoths?
                            French timeslips analysed
                            The case of 'Mary Celeste'
                            Money pit mystery
                            (The image depicts the Mary Celeste as painted by an uncredited artist. A shame as I quite like the picture.)

Issue 49
                            UFO photofile
                            The healer within
                            Can animals be kind?
                            The boy with no past
                            Mammoth mystery
                            UFO force fields
                            (The image depicts a mammoth, again by an uncredited artist. The picture editor must have been going through a bad patch. "The boy with no past" article relates to a boy called Kaspar Hauser who was found in Nuremberg in 1828 carrying two letters, barely able to speak and possessing no memory. I love stories like this. The Piano Man is a recent example of a similar incident that happened here in the UK around six or seven years ago.)

Issue 50
                            Sex and alchemy
                            Tesla: unknown genius
                            Glastonbury scripts
                            End of the jinx ship
                            UFOs over Japan
                            (This is perhaps my favourite cover, with a superb image sadly not done justice by my crappy photo! If I've got the link right here's a better image:

"A discharge of millions of volts at Colorado Springs. It was not Tesla's practice to use these artificial lightning strokes as reading lamps, as this picture suggests: he was photographed with flash powder and then moved to a safe distance while the current flowed and the film was re-exposed." So it's a cheat but still awesome!)

Issue 51
                            Odd animal senses
                            Who was Kaspar Houser?
                            Alchemy's hidden truth
                            The test of healing
                            Epidemic of vampires
                            (The image is a 1916 painting called The Vampire's Kiss by Biegas.)

Issue 52
                            Tesla's genius
                            The Dracula legend
                            Tunguska fireball
                            A career in ruins
                            Creating a ghost
                            (The image is of a regular forest fire, to help illustrate "a huge fireball that 'covered an enormous part of the sky' over Tunguska, Siberia ... for up to 20 miles (30 kilometers) around the site of the explosion, trees were blown down, and the intense heat of the blast set the forest alight.")

Issue 53
                            Tunguska: the truth
                            Strange Glastonbury
                            The curse on Killakee
                            CIA and the UFO cover up
                            The journey of the soul
                            (The image is, of course, the CIA's official seal.)

Issue 54
                            Sex with an alien
                            Vampires: the reality
                            Signals from space
                            Lost civilisations
                            Nazi occultism
                            (The image is one that accompanies Antonio Villas Boas' account of his alien abduction. I wonder if he's related to Tottenham Hotspur's current manager. Love that helmet, man.)

Issue 55
                            CIA and UFOs
                            Weird winged creatures
                            Spirit surgeon extraordinary
                            What happens after death
                            Clapham Wood enigma
                            (The image: "five-year-old Marie Delex was borne away by a large bird in 1838". These kind of stories also interest me. There was one here a couple of years ago about a huge owl stalking a village, posing a threat to family pets.)

Issue 56
                            Evil of the Nazis
                            The secret of the rope trick
                            UFOs: a Federal case
                            Lost cities of Asia
                            Remote viewing
                            (The image is of Mohenjo-Daro in Pakistan, an example of a huge empire that suddenly disappeared.)

Comment

A few more covers:

And here's a run through each issue:

Issue 57
                              The strange world of twins
                              Close-up on remote viewing
                              Creatures from the past
                              The Dufferin myth
                              UFOs over water
                              (The image is taken from The Frost Programme of 17th January 1968, which featured 300 pairs of identical twins. The article focuses on how long-separated twins sometimes find they have lead very similar lives when they meet again. One example quoted is the case of Jim Springer and Jim Lewis who were separated at birth and reared by different families in Ohio. The list of coincidences is just spooky!)

Issue 58
                              UFOs of the mind
                              Hitler ands the black arts
                              Two bodies, one mind
                              New light on evolution
                              Incas' hidden city
                              (The image is supposed to be that of two giant human-like brains sitting on a road, to illustrate an account given by two Californian guys near Palos Verdes in the early 70's. I'm no anatomist, but those don't look like human-like brains to me. They look more like they've been scooped out of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2.)

Issue 59
                              Twin lives
                              When birdmen swoop
                              Where did Darwin go wrong?
                              The PK effect
                              UFOs land
                              (The photo is of a two-headed calf. the result of a genetic mutation. It only lived for a few days.)

Issue 60
                              Psychic UFOs
                              The vanishing ship
                              Return of the Tudors
                              The horror of Glamis
                              Velikovsky's comet
                              (The image is of the USS Eldridge, the vanishing ship from the 'Philadelphia Experiment'.)

Issue 61
                              PK on request
                              Mapping the heavens
                              Vanishing ship: the facts
                              Velikovsky debated
                              Is man a machine?
                              The image is a constellation of the southern skies as charted by a Dutch astronomer circa 1700. The image hasn't come out particulary well here. If I've got the link right here's the actual map:

Issue 62
                              Gods from the stars?
                              The mind and evolution
                              Menace of Soviet psi
                              Velikovsky assessed
                              Doctor of the dying
                              (The image is of Vishnu riding on the bird-god Garuda.)

Issue 63
                              Star mystery
                              Inside the minilab
                              The green children
                              Soviet psi secrets
                              Mayfair ghosts
                              (The cover shows a split image to illustrate the effects of psychokinesis on two leather rings that were paranormally linked together outside a minilab, which is a kind of sealed glass chamber in which all kinds of hands-free psychokinetic oddness occurs. Punch "SORRAT" into Google to find out more.)

Issue 64
                              Psi wars
                              The Bermuda Triangle
                              Constellation makers
                              Von Daniken on trial
                              Murder by UFO
                              (The image shows detail from the poster for the 1978 movie 'The Bermuda Triangle'.)

Issue 65
                              The Ripper murders
                              The legend of King Arthur
                              Triangle - the truth
                              Astronaut ancestors
                              Stars over Atlantis
                              (The image is of an illustration by Gustav Dore of Lord Tennyson's epic poem 'Idylls of the King'. Check out some of Dore's work on Google images. Absolutely stunning.)
                              Last edited by Lucian Poll; 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: Impromptu smiley! Kind Arthur?!? King Arthur more like...

Comment

The Unexplained stuff is simply amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X