NaNoWriMo 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Adam
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Hi Adam. Good luck with your novel. Keep us posted how you get on.

The end of day 2 has seen a total of 3372 words hammered in (around a chapter and a half) so I'm just about on track. I'll have to put all 3372 words through at least two further drafts when NaNo is done, though! Despite writing an outline for 30 chapters it's clear my chapter-a-day plan has gone to hell. I've got a lot of holiday coming my way soon, though, so there's hope yet.

But forgive me, forum, for I have sinned. I spent way too long trying to describe my main character yesterday, which was something I really ought to have nailed by now, particularly after spending so long on the plot. I found a headshot that was a pretty good match for what I had in mind but was at a loss when it came to describing her hairstyle.

Any ideas? My inner Vidal Sassoon went the same way as the guy himself. I've currently got her as sporting a punk-rock pixie cut, but the High Priestesses of Horror here may think otherwise. If C. W. is lurking, then firstly: hello! and secondly: am I way off the mark?

Well, as I'm not too tired yet I think I'll make inroads into tomorrow's word count!

Keep it going everyone!
      Last edited by Lucian Poll; 11-03-2012, 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling. Argh!!! The revenge of the Inner Editor!
      The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
      Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
      ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

My first thought was pixie cut, but I'm no expert.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Well, I've got about 2,000 words; life is up in the air at the moment so I don't have as much time to write as I had hoped.

Comment

Lucian, Hello. I think that would suffice. But, I wouldn't describe any farther. Less is more. The only time that over description is acceptable, is in romance. Let your readers decide. I rarely even give mine more than a hair color Maybe a ponytail. Hope that helps!
            http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Of course, I should add that I don't see my characters. At all. It's hard to explain. I see their actions and I hear their thoughts, but they are fairly featureless in my mind. Does that make sense? I know their gender and age and sometimes hair or eye color, but they are otherwise blank to me. I just fill in enough to let the reader form their own picture. But I see actions clearly. I see them making a gesture or stepping on a cigarette. I'm odd that way.
              http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
                Well, I've got about 2,000 words; life is up in the air at the moment so I don't have as much time to write as I had hoped.
                Don't worry about it, just do your best. If you make it to 50,000 words that is great. If you don't at you tried your best, and you'll have more word than you otherwise would. I didn't get as many words as I wanted yesterday due to being distracted and out of it for some reason, but at least I got some. I'm determined to reach the goal though, and being involved with a community like here, Facebook and the area groups on Nano is a good way to be involved in a community, even if it is only online and not at an area event
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Punk rock pixie it is!

I think I know where you are coming from on characterisation, C. W. Use broad brush strokes and let the reader fill in the gaps. My scene had the antagonist looking over a creepy shrine he had amassed of the main character, which sounded fine in the outline, but when I came to writing it for real it felt like the bad guy would see more detail than most. I'll come back to the scene once I have a solid grip of my main character.

Xiabei, I'm happy that you've got 2000 words down because that's the start of something. Write what you can when you can while the story's still buzzing around your head, and see what you have at the end of the month. You might just surprise yourself. For me NaNo should be all about the fun of using your imagination to tell a story. If you don't get to 50,000 words, but have the lion's share of a story on paper, I'd say it's been worthwhile. Dec 1 need not spell "The End". Keep it up!

Comment

Here is a link to a little free eBook to read online from Douglas Clegg

20 Tips for Writers
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Hello! I decided to join the NaNo party. I signed up in the middle of October and kind of hem-and-hawed about the whole thing. November is a very busy month for me, but I decided to give it a go anyways. I had a poor start, though. No writing on the 1st. I had the time, but I just blanked on what to write; nothing seemed to get my juices flowing. By the 2nd, I was in full panic mode, knowing that if I didn't start, I never would, so I ran with a with a story I had planned as a novella. About 2800 words in and I just letting whatever happens, happen. Good luck, everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                        Here is a link to a little free eBook to read online from Douglas Clegg

20 Tips for Writers
                        Best thing ever! Thanks for the pick-me-up!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
                          Thanks for the input, guys. Punk rock pixie it is!

I think I know where you are coming from on characterisation, C. W. Use broad brush strokes and let the reader fill in the gaps. My scene had the antagonist looking over a creepy shrine he had amassed of the main character, which sounded fine in the outline, but when I came to writing it for real it felt like the bad guy would see more detail than most. I'll come back to the scene once I have a solid grip of my main character.

Xiabei, I'm happy that you've got 2000 words down because that's the start of something. Write what you can when you can while the story's still buzzing around your head, and see what you have at the end of the month. You might just surprise yourself. For me NaNo should be all about the fun of using your imagination to tell a story. If you don't get to 50,000 words, but have the lion's share of a story on paper, I'd say it's been worthwhile. Dec 1 need not spell "The End". Keep it up!
                          Thank you. Yeah, this is my first go, and it would probably do me good to think about the words and not the numbers. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                            Of course, I should add that I don't see my characters. At all. It's hard to explain. I see their actions and I hear their thoughts, but they are fairly featureless in my mind. Does that make sense? I know their gender and age and sometimes hair or eye color, but they are otherwise blank to me. I just fill in enough to let the reader form their own picture. But I see actions clearly. I see them making a gesture or stepping on a cigarette. I'm odd that way.
                            Personally I love that approach. I tend to be the same way. Although sometimes, if doing a parody, I go to the opposite extreme and describe things to the point of ridiculousness.

Comment

Hi Sock Monkey. I'm glad you've taken the plunge. Enjoy it and good luck! Let us know how you get on.

I've posted an excerpt from chapter 2 of my novel on my NaNoWriMo profile if anyone would like a shufti. Given it's a first draft I'm quite pleased with this bit, but would welcome feedback, good or bad. (FYI, Mike is Dawn's fiancee and Gil is one of the office IT guys.)

Here's the link:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/particip...ithheld-184410

I'd be interested to see excerpts from fellow NaNo-ers so drop a link here if you decide to put one up.

I'd better get back to the story. I'm still owing 1000 words for today.

Comment

I'm a little confused. Are we not posting everything on the site as we go? The only place I see to enter anything is "Novel Excerpt." I guess I was under the impression that it was a place to enter the whole thing as it's written, but is that not the case?

Comment

Working...
                                X