Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2012

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Yeah, I don't want to do a big outline for my story as I feel it will make me feel limited and too rigid. If I feel my novel is the end of this character's story then I will have to end up changing the ending, but not worried about that yet
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Hey guys, I'm late to this party, but I also want to try again this year. The 3 times I've tried in the past, I never made it past day 6, and even then my average was too low, about 1000 words a day. I'm another one that spends too much time editing as I go, so I'm hoping to avoid that trap, too.

Xaibei, if a long structured novel isn't up your alley, maybe you could do a series of related short stories, kinda like "The Martian Chronicles".
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

I've finally signed up for the year and have added 3 of you as buddies. I'm "apathid" by the way. Good luck guys.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Just remember Terry, it's only the first draft of the novel. First drafts are likely never perfect and will require many edits. I can't remember the number for sure, but Douglas Clegg goes through several drafts of his books before he feels they're ready. I will have to remember that too of course, lol. Doing well so far today, close to the daily target for words in a little over 2 hours. Would love if every day went like this, but definitely don't expect that at all.
    Spoiler!

Here is a great blog entry that Brian Keene today.

http://www.briankeene.com/?p=12788&c...#comment-65363
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Lucian Poll's Avatar
    Hi Terry, welcome aboard! RJK said it all, really. Keep plugging away at the story and get into the habit of writing. Keep that inner editor locked up for 30 days. If you need inspiration or motivation let us know here or through NaNoMail and we'll help. (I'm saying this to me too!)

RJK, I'm glad you're off to a solid start. I hope you keep the ball rolling! Nice link too!

Right, I've just gotten back from work so it's shoes off, heating on and laptop open. Let battle commence!

Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by Lucian Poll; 11-01-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Spelling. Damn that inner editor!
    The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
    Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
    ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

I got the first paragraph done, just after midnight and before bed. The title came from an icon on the computer and then a first sentence came to me. Drifting off to sleep, I planned the next page or so. I've got no clue where it might be going, but that's okay. For some reason, I didn't want to go with anything that I've had planned, so we'll see what happens.

Are you connected to your local region Terry? If so that might help too, though not all are very active. The Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN region page is luckily very. very active in the forums and many write-in events. I was going to post some stuff from there here with other tips, but their website seems to be having issues, though I was warned this was a possibility as Nov. 1 hit the US. It was up when I stopped writing earlier, but it was also like 2:30 in the morning, when normal people are asleep, lol. Once things settle and get back up I'll post what I was planning to. Any of you can also visit any regional page that you want to if you want to check things out there.
    Spoiler!

Here a couple of the tips that I was going to post earlier today:

Turn those blinders on and don't look back. Because it will be awful. And you'll want to edit it. And you really shouldn't because it'll only slow you down. If you do realize there's a chapter that doesn't belong at all, don't delete it. Just highlight it or make it a different color or font or something, and decide later if it needs to be removed. But you wrote it in November, and it's part of your word count.
    Oh, and have fun! If Steve Jobs shows up and gives everyone iPads, just go with it. Even if your story is set in Middle Earth or something. I can't promise it'll make sense, but it'll be something. And it could be hilarious. Don't fight with your characters. Let them do what they will do and your story will adjust itself as you go.

Some advice on handling the crap:
    When I know something I just wrote is terrible -- like, mind-meltingly, modifying my Last Will and Testament to say "Don't Forget To Delete These Files" bad -- I just add a little [this sucks fix later] note in the draft. Or [wrong place check continuity]. Or [SO MANY ADVERBS OH DEAR GOD]. It makes me feel a lot better to at least have an idea of where the edits will need to begin, and it reminds me that, no, I'm not even pretending this is flawless, so no reason to get upset about it. A silly psychological trick, but it works.
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed adamjames's Avatar
    Well, I started today. A day late, but I like to write after everyone in the house is asleep. I'm on track to finish on time, well December 1st anyway. Thanks to the folks who told me about this in my short story thread.

And to be honest if this helps me to get to novella length, I'll count this as a small victory.
    Last edited by adamjames; 11-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Good luck Adam

Hi Adam. Good luck with your novel. Keep us posted how you get on.

The end of day 2 has seen a total of 3372 words hammered in (around a chapter and a half) so I'm just about on track. I'll have to put all 3372 words through at least two further drafts when NaNo is done, though! Despite writing an outline for 30 chapters it's clear my chapter-a-day plan has gone to hell. I've got a lot of holiday coming my way soon, though, so there's hope yet.

But forgive me, forum, for I have sinned. I spent way too long trying to describe my main character yesterday, which was something I really ought to have nailed by now, particularly after spending so long on the plot. I found a headshot that was a pretty good match for what I had in mind but was at a loss when it came to describing her hairstyle.

Any ideas? My inner Vidal Sassoon went the same way as the guy himself. I've currently got her as sporting a punk-rock pixie cut, but the High Priestesses of Horror here may think otherwise. If C. W. is lurking, then firstly: hello! and secondly: am I way off the mark?

Well, as I'm not too tired yet I think I'll make inroads into tomorrow's word count!

Keep it going everyone!
    Last edited by Lucian Poll; 11-03-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling. Argh!!! The revenge of the Inner Editor!

My first thought was pixie cut, but I'm no expert.

Well, I've got about 2,000 words; life is up in the air at the moment so I don't have as much time to write as I had hoped.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Lucian, Hello. I think that would suffice. But, I wouldn't describe any farther. Less is more. The only time that over description is acceptable, is in romance. Let your readers decide. I rarely even give mine more than a hair color Maybe a ponytail. Hope that helps!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Of course, I should add that I don't see my characters. At all. It's hard to explain. I see their actions and I hear their thoughts, but they are fairly featureless in my mind. Does that make sense? I know their gender and age and sometimes hair or eye color, but they are otherwise blank to me. I just fill in enough to let the reader form their own picture. But I see actions clearly. I see them making a gesture or stepping on a cigarette. I'm odd that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiabei View Post
    Well, I've got about 2,000 words; life is up in the air at the moment so I don't have as much time to write as I had hoped.
    Don't worry about it, just do your best. If you make it to 50,000 words that is great. If you don't at you tried your best, and you'll have more word than you otherwise would. I didn't get as many words as I wanted yesterday due to being distracted and out of it for some reason, but at least I got some. I'm determined to reach the goal though, and being involved with a community like here, Facebook and the area groups on Nano is a good way to be involved in a community, even if it is only online and not at an area event
    Spoiler!

Thanks for the input, guys. Punk rock pixie it is!

I think I know where you are coming from on characterisation, C. W. Use broad brush strokes and let the reader fill in the gaps. My scene had the antagonist looking over a creepy shrine he had amassed of the main character, which sounded fine in the outline, but when I came to writing it for real it felt like the bad guy would see more detail than most. I'll come back to the scene once I have a solid grip of my main character.

Xiabei, I'm happy that you've got 2000 words down because that's the start of something. Write what you can when you can while the story's still buzzing around your head, and see what you have at the end of the month. You might just surprise yourself. For me NaNo should be all about the fun of using your imagination to tell a story. If you don't get to 50,000 words, but have the lion's share of a story on paper, I'd say it's been worthwhile. Dec 1 need not spell "The End". Keep it up!

Here is a link to a little free eBook to read online from Douglas Clegg

20 Tips for Writers
    Spoiler!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Hello! I decided to join the NaNo party. I signed up in the middle of October and kind of hem-and-hawed about the whole thing. November is a very busy month for me, but I decided to give it a go anyways. I had a poor start, though. No writing on the 1st. I had the time, but I just blanked on what to write; nothing seemed to get my juices flowing. By the 2nd, I was in full panic mode, knowing that if I didn't start, I never would, so I ran with a with a story I had planned as a novella. About 2800 words in and I just letting whatever happens, happen. Good luck, everybody!