Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The First Thing that Comes to Mind

Member Part-timer portrait in flesh's Avatar
    These days, as my mind softens, I'd have to say the first thing that pops into my head is the commercial King did for his Maximum Overdrive movie. You know, the one where he wags his finger at you and says "I'M GONNA SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!"

The movie/story is hardly a ringing endorsement of his work, but there you have it.

The Shining.

Depending on the day, either The Dark Tower series (if we can consider them a single story; if not, then perhaps The Gunslinger and I'll thankee kindly either way) or The Talisman. The reason for vacillating between these two is for the journey each represents. Give me a journey and I'm in. Knowaddamean?
    ~^~You can't win if you don't play~^~

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    The Stand, or 'Salem's Lot. They were the first two SK books I read and are still two of my favorites.

Pet Sematary.. This has always been my favorite and I've been hooked ever since. I read it twice a year and never get bored with it.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I get chills immediately. Pangs of nostalgia mixed with chills from how much I enjoy a great King book to chills of absolute terror (from when I read IT especially).

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour hamount's Avatar
    Misery, which is the first book I read, or The Dark Tower series.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed misery chastain loves co.'s Avatar
    Creepshow! I was pretty young the first time I gazed upon it's contents and after that initial viewing I woke up screaming several times as I was POSITIVE I saw ole' Nathan standing in the corner of my room holding his caaaake! Needless to say my mother banned Mr. King from me(but not her, oh no) for awhile after that Once I was allowed to have him back, I have never put him down!

Senior Member Inmate
    The first King thing would have to be Carrie. I was blown away by how much his writing style matches the way the voices in my head speak to me. Alot of his characters live in my little burb.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    It or The Dark Tower. It really got to me when i was a little kid. I saw part of the movie, the scene in the bathroom with the blood coming out of the pipes... I think I stayed clear of the bathroom for two days and I couldn't bring myself to read the book for years! But it was a great read when I finally found the courage to get through it, although I did have second thoughts about entering the bathroom late at night.

Senior Member Inmate RichardThomas's Avatar
    The Stand, for me. That's his best work IMO. Although It and Dark Tower, and The Shining, are all right there.

A little late to the party but I'd have to say "It". When I first read It I wasn't much older than the kids in the novel and I thought the idea of a monster tailored to your specific fears was the scariest thing that I had ever heard of. Plus, clowns are just plain creepy.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    This isn't the first thing that comes to my mind (The Shining), but the next thing that does. Season 3, Episode 5 of Quantum Leap: "The Boogieman." Not based on a King story, but when you discover that little "Stevie" has been watching in the background the whole time...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    This isn't the first thing that comes to my mind (The Shining), but the next thing that does. Season 3, Episode 5 of Quantum Leap: "The Boogieman." Not based on a King story, but when you discover that little "Stevie" has been watching in the background the whole time...
    I was a big QL fan back in the day but I don't remember this one. Dammit now I'm going to have to download this somewhere and watch it.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    It's worth it. I watch it every Halloween.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Salem's Lot for sure. First one I read. I think, the classic modern vampire story, yet a book with real heart and compassion, even love.

Senior Member Inmate
    I'd have to agree with Salem's Lot. What an excellent and scary Vampire story. I really felt something for the townsfolk in that tale. I also think The Long Walk is a brilliant idea. Stephen at his finest!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
    I'd have to agree with Salem's Lot. What an excellent and scary Vampire story. I really felt something for the townsfolk in that tale. I also think The Long Walk is a brilliant idea. Stephen at his finest!
    I have to agree. I loved both stories. It's probably been ten years or more since I read The Long Walk, and it still strikes a chord with me even today. I recommend it every chance I get.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Inmate
    Up to my eyeballs in a very red state. I'm sort of a purple girl.
    Salem's Lot. He had me with: "Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son." Well, actually, the cover pulled me in. The black paperback with that one little bright red drip of blood.
    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    When I hear SK its either, "I better check my email for CD updates" or I think about whatever I am reading...Currently The Talisman