No announcement yet.

The First Thing that Comes to Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stand, for me. That's his best work IMO. Although It and Dark Tower, and The Shining, are all right there.
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

A little late to the party but I'd have to say "It". When I first read It I wasn't much older than the kids in the novel and I thought the idea of a monster tailored to your specific fears was the scariest thing that I had ever heard of. Plus, clowns are just plain creepy.
      Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

This isn't the first thing that comes to my mind (The Shining), but the next thing that does. Season 3, Episode 5 of Quantum Leap: "The Boogieman." Not based on a King story, but when you discover that little "Stevie" has been watching in the background the whole time...
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
          This isn't the first thing that comes to my mind (The Shining), but the next thing that does. Season 3, Episode 5 of Quantum Leap: "The Boogieman." Not based on a King story, but when you discover that little "Stevie" has been watching in the background the whole time...
          I was a big QL fan back in the day but I don't remember this one. Dammit now I'm going to have to download this somewhere and watch it.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

It's worth it. I watch it every Halloween.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Salem's Lot for sure. First one I read. I think, the classic modern vampire story, yet a book with real heart and compassion, even love.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Salem's Lot. What an excellent and scary Vampire story. I really felt something for the townsfolk in that tale. I also think The Long Walk is a brilliant idea. Stephen at his finest!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
                  I'd have to agree with Salem's Lot. What an excellent and scary Vampire story. I really felt something for the townsfolk in that tale. I also think The Long Walk is a brilliant idea. Stephen at his finest!
                  I have to agree. I loved both stories. It's probably been ten years or more since I read The Long Walk, and it still strikes a chord with me even today. I recommend it every chance I get.
                  Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Salem's Lot. He had me with: "Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son." Well, actually, the cover pulled me in. The black paperback with that one little bright red drip of blood.
                    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

When I hear SK its either, "I better check my email for CD updates" or I think about whatever I am reading...Currently The Talisman

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind?

A passage in Salem's Lot, where two young boys (brothers) are walking in the woods at night, and they sense something is there in the dark. Very creepy scene in an overall terrific novel.
                        Tasmaniac Publications - dedicated to quality horror and crime
                        http://www.tasmaniacpublications.com

Comment

'Salem's Lot for me. It was the first SK book I ever read, followed the next day by The Stand, back in 1979.

I just watched 'Salem's Lot on DVD last week (the original David Soul version). I went online to see if it was on blu-ray, and found that it's actually out of print. Used copies started at around $35. I immediately burned it to my hard drive, just in case anything happens!

Comment

Room 217 - 1st, foremost and always ....

Comment

Same here. The Shining as my first King, and still my favorite. I prefer his early novels, but appreciate the changes and development he's gone through over the decades.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

For me my first King book was Different Seasons.I was 14 and had to sneek it into my parents home.I bought the paperback with birthday money.I had to find out what all the big to do was about Stephen King.After that The Stand.The part when they are trying to get out of the city gave my nightmares.Even when I read it again at 25 I still had nightmares at that part.

Comment

Working...
                                X