Libraries and limited editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libraries and limited editions

The other night I was perusing my library's catalog, looking for Brian Lumley books. I found one called "Freaks." I didn't know what it was about, but being a Lumley fan, I put it on hold so I could check it out (literally and figuratively).

I picked it up today and was surprised to see that it was a Sub Press signed limited edition book from 2004. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to be a bit bummed when I find books like this in the library. Now it's got horrible library stamps and stickers all over it. I love libraries, but I hate that apparently they come across a book like this and it's nothing but another book to them. I wonder how much they would charge me if I "lost" it. Ha ha.

The price of the book I am sure.I do not mind picking up library copies of collectable books for reading purpose and to fill in some blanks in my collection.I think it is kind of neat when you find something like that and it has not been checked out for awhile.I want to scream and shout you guys do not know what you are missing.
    I love my library sales for that reason/This weekend I found a paperback edition of The Stand the original version for $1.25 plus a few other treats.

Comment

My local library (2 of the three 3 branches at least) has quite a few copies of CD signed books - it is kinda depressing

Comment

Well, I never thought of actually asking the library if I could buy a book off the shelf; I'll have to try that.

My library has an "ongoing sale" but the books are generally crap and they hardly ever add anything new to the section - though a few months ago I did manage to get 1st editions of "Song of Susannah" and "The Dark Tower." But a find like that is pretty rare.

Comment

You have to take the time to look as what might be crap might be gold.I found at one sale a box of old paperbacks for $3.00. most was junk but there were a few Charles L. Grant books as well as Robert Bloch.I kept the ones I wanted sold the rest for .25 a piece and made a profit and ended up with some good reading material.

Comment

Oh, I do. Every time I go there I look through everything, even if I pretty much saw it all on the previous visit. And when they have the "big sale" I go through every table, even the kid stuff (hoping to find some Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators someday). Unfortunately, they rarely have any good fantasy or science fiction or horror.

Comment

I often see both CD and Sub Press limited editions at my local library. Rather than being 'bummed' when I find books like this at my local library I am always quite pleased. I am happy to see that my local library is offering these stories and I am happy to see these small press companies making these stories available to libraries. Although I am a book collector and take pride in the care I take in my books, I still want the authors the small press has introduced me to reach a larger audience. I love seeing authors like Ray Garton and Ed Gorman in limited editions at my local library.
              Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
              The other night I was perusing my library's catalog, looking for Brian Lumley books. I found one called "Freaks." I didn't know what it was about, but being a Lumley fan, I put it on hold so I could check it out (literally and figuratively).

I picked it up today and was surprised to see that it was a Sub Press signed limited edition book from 2004. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to be a bit bummed when I find books like this in the library. Now it's got horrible library stamps and stickers all over it. I love libraries, but I hate that apparently they come across a book like this and it's nothing but another book to them. I wonder how much they would charge me if I "lost" it. Ha ha.

Comment

Personally, as long as I have my copy safe, I don't care what happens to the rest.

Comment

I understand your point, and I also realize that we're approaching it from two different ways. It's just my personal belief that putting such a book in a library effectively cancels out what makes it unique and defeats the purpose in it being made in the first place. (Yes, I know, books are made to read, but if they were made solely for that purpose, we wouldn't have all these limited editions that run into ridiculous amounts of money).

Comment

Having them in the library also allows people who have not seen small press books before next to mass market books. The quality of the book stands out and may act to bring more people into the small press world. With that said I am also a very different person than most at the library, I pay attention to the production qualities of my books. Great topic Xiabei!
                    I understand your point, and I also realize that we're approaching it from two different ways. It's just my personal belief that putting such a book in a library effectively cancels out what makes it unique and defeats the purpose in it being made in the first place. (Yes, I know, books are made to read, but if they were made solely for that purpose, we wouldn't have all these limited editions that run into ridiculous amounts of money).

Comment

I do agree about it losing what makes it unique, but I do like the idea that people at the library could gain access to book of which there are no other editions. Do I think libraries should have the signed limited of IT?? No, because there are cheaper editions available, but I would love to see copies of the Signature Series books in libraries as there not not other editions of those books. The Big book of Necon is another example....with no other editions around, I would love to see one on the library shelf. Trade only of course!!

Comment

Small press like Sub Press and us here at CD often publish books that don't necessarily have a "trade" edition. Libraries then generally place orders from distributors for our books that there isn't a cheaper version of. Using Full Dark, No Stars as an example, you probably wouldn't find the gift edition of that in a library as Scribner's edition is much cheaper, but you may and probably will find many of our other books in libraries.
                        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Ok, I can see the point of having books that aren't available in any other format, so I can agree that that is good, though I'd be interested in seeing how much "action" these books get. Really no way to tell since a lot of libraries have done away with stamping books.

Comment

I think its cool that you can find small press books in the library. Although I do see Xiabei's point, I also see this as good marketing for small press.

Comment

I frequent a single library in a system with many. While I am not able to state how much action these books get I can say that they are often not on the shelf. I assume they are checked out or at another library. I also only see limited editions of books I do not see in trade editions. The only book I have seen that I know can be had cheaper is the CD edition of Blockade Billy and I believe those were ordered before the Scribner's edition was announced.
                              Ok, I can see the point of having books that aren't available in any other format, so I can agree that that is good, though I'd be interested in seeing how much "action" these books get. Really no way to tell since a lot of libraries have done away with stamping books.

Comment

Working...
                              X