Libraries and limited editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I frequent a single library in a system with many. While I am not able to state how much action these books get I can say that they are often not on the shelf. I assume they are checked out or at another library.
    Or simply stolen, like the first edition of The Gunslinger that was at the Bergenfield, NJ library back in the '80s. I still can't believe they had that book.

Comment

Well, unfortunately, the library won't sell it to me. And I'm sure I'll never see it in the library sales, because all they seem to offer are crappy old beat-up paperbacks and middle-of-the-road-not-remotely-interesting-to-anyone books.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
        Or simply stolen, like the first edition of The Gunslinger that was at the Bergenfield, NJ library back in the '80s. I still can't believe they had that book.
        I can't believe it either. The first time I ever heard of "The Dark Tower" was when (I think it was) "Pet Sematary" was released. In the list of previous works was this book I'd never heard of, and I'd been reading everything as soon as it came out since "The Dead Zone". I asked the librarian about The Gunslinger, but they couldn't find any record of it in their system, anywhere in central MD.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
          I can't believe it either. The first time I ever heard of "The Dark Tower" was when (I think it was) "Pet Sematary" was released. In the list of previous works was this book I'd never heard of, and I'd been reading everything as soon as it came out since "The Dead Zone". I asked the librarian about The Gunslinger, but they couldn't find any record of it in their system, anywhere in central MD.
          I had never heard of the book either, but I was in a now-defunct bookstore on Washington Ave in Bergenfield one day and they had a copy on a plastic display stand right on the counter. It was going for $150, which was way too much for me as a college kid in 1985. I should have just given up food for a few weeks and bought it

After seeing it at the bookstore, I looked it up at the library and they had one copy out on loan. I didn't get to see it as I was heading back to Ireland shortly afterwards, and by the time I got back there in 1988 it was gone.

Comment

Working...
          X