Cemetery Dance Writing Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
    Nik...I think if you go to the button titled "Go Advanced" you will see an increase or decrease indent button. Hopefully this will work for you!
    You are correct sir! One more day guys, we will be open for submissions tomorrow!

Edit: Also everyone save your final word docs of your stories, we'll probably be asking for them from the winners.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Cool, guys, thanks a lot.
      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Thanks! I was actually just trying out the italics up there to see if it worked Have never done it that way before!
        http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I'm feeling so clueless. I found the "increase indent" button, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I preview my post, there aren't any indents showing there. Can somebody clue me in?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
            I'm feeling so clueless. I found the "increase indent" button, but I can't figure out how to make it work. When I preview my post, there aren't any indents showing there. Can somebody clue me in?
            It works similarly to how the italics work. You have to select the whole area you want indented. So if it's just the first line of a paragraph just highlight the first word of the paragraph then hit that indent button. If you want to indent the whole paragraph, highlight the whole paragraph and click the button. Just like the italics and bold it uses brackets and then the word indent or /indent inside the brackets to generate the desired result. If you are worried about character count though, I would skip the indents in the final post (leave them in the word doc you're working out of though). I didn't add a ton of extra characters to the count so with all the extra characters generated by the indent code it could really push you over.

Instagram

Comment

The submissions OPEN tomorrow and CONTINUE for one week?

Is that it?
              Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                The submissions OPEN tomorrow and CONTINUE for one week?

Is that it?
                Correct

Instagram

Comment

So, after adding indents, my story was pushed from just under 10,000 characters to 11,300. So I went back and just added 4 spaces instead of indents, and wound up at 10,322. Is this a do-able character count? Dan, thanks a lot for all your help during this pre-submission period.
                  www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Personally I would just leave the indents out on the forum posts. Maybe just do an extra return in between each paragraph to provide the separation needed. We're a bit new at this process, it's probably something I should have specified from the beginning. We aren't going to be copying the text from the forums for the actual chapbook anyways. We'll be asking the winners for a word doc containing the story. We will probably also send them out to be proof read, as it's something we always do.

Instagram

Comment

Good idea. Down to 10,050 and the buffer you added should take care of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
                      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        Edit: Also everyone save your final word docs of your stories, we'll probably be asking for them from the winners.
                        Already done. Actually have 3 copies of it, lol, 1 because I didn't have a title originally, and then 2 copies of the final story, one for the original copy and the 2nd will be the revised copy to fit into the requirements for the posts. Did that because I want a copy of what it was before major edits/changes
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Yeah, my original was two and a half times longer. Which isn't to say it needed to be that long, but I saved it in an alternate doc, none-the-less.
                          www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Sooo...how's everybody feeling? I confess I'm more nervous than usual for a submission. Probably because it'll be judged out in the open by peers, and because it would just be so damn cool to be published by CD.
                            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                              Sooo...how's everybody feeling? I confess I'm more nervous than usual for a submission. Probably because it'll be judged out in the open by peers, and because it would just be so damn cool to be published by CD.
                              I've never submitted a story before to anyone so I just hope I'm not laughed out of the competition. Either way it will be cool to get some honest opinions and see how my work stacks up against others.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I've never submitted a story before to anyone so I just hope I'm not laughed out of the competition. Either way it will be cool to get some honest opinions and see how my work stacks up against others.
                                This is my biggest fear as well. Not winning the competition, or not being accepted somewhere, as disappointing as it may be, isn't all that bad. But I'm always concerned that my writing is so bad that an editor would laugh it out of the office for me thinking it even had a chance.

I just had a couple people go over mine today, generally positive reviews so far. Still needs some last minute tweaks, and I'm finding that I want to rewrite entire sections and I just don't have any time left to do that.
                                "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Working...
                                X