Cemetery Dance Writing Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by His Majesty View Post
    I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the character requirements. 10,000 with or without spaces? I've pared my story down to about 9400 without spaces. Would this be suitable for submission?
    I'm going to be erring on the side of caution and am including spaces in the 10K-character limit. Using single spaces between sentences, though.

Comment

Originally posted by His Majesty View Post
      I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the character requirements. 10,000 with or without spaces? I've pared my story down to about 9400 without spaces. Would this be suitable for submission?
      The character requirement is with spaces, but he said it's okay to single space sentences to cut down on the number of spaces.
      My Website

Comment

Character count is with spaces. The best way to test if your submission is short enough is to see if it fits in the post window here. Obviously don't actually post it though. As far as when we will open the submissions it'll be Wednesday morning. We will probably send out a newsletter informing everyone submissions are now open and a more detailed explanation on how to submit them.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

::SCREAMS AND HOWLS AND TEARS OUT HAIR::

OK, now that's over with.

I did a trial run of my post. In Word, it comes out to 9,978 characters (including spaces). But, since my story includes some italicized words, I had to add the html tags to the post to get it to look correct. This bumped the count up to 10,230 characters, which obviously won't post.

Is there any way to get around this? For example, could I capitalize the words that are meant to be italicized? Or do I need to make a mad cutting edit to my piece?

Edited to add: the italicized words are foreign words and phrases, not words italicized for emphasis. I guess technically I could just drop the italics, but that sort of thing makes my fingers itch a bit.
          Last edited by portrait in flesh; 05-30-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I'll just bump the allowed word count on the forum software up a little bit to allow for that. Ok added a buffer zone, should be more than enough extra to account for italicizing and what not.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I'll just bump the allowed word count on the forum software up a little bit to allow for that. Ok added a buffer zone, should be more than enough extra to account for italicizing and what not.
              Thankee kindly, sir.

Comment

I'm about three-quarters of the way through and I reckon I'll probably hit the absolute character limit. Not much time left, but no pressure, right? ~~also screaming and howling etc.~~

http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

Allright! Just finished my trial post and everything looks great. All I need to do is change some formatting and I will be good to go.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    That's great. Is there an exact amount? Almost finished with the story I started just for this since the other work in progress isn't close to being finished, but finding myself at over 10,800 characters now with at least a few hundred more before the ending. Will have to finish it up and make some cuts to it tomorrow and probably the next day as well, I just need to know how much, lol.

Maybe if I'm lucky it won't be much though, since I currently have the proper 2 spaces between sentences, lol
                    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Still shoot for 10,000 characters. I didn't really bump it up that much, just really enough to accommodate for the extra characters added by italicizing things in this forum software.

Instagram

Comment

That's what I thought and what I'll be doing over the next couple days. Thanks
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Will you explain how to get italics on a post?
                          http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Just high light what you want italicized then click the italics button. It then surrounds your post in I tags which is an [I*][/I*] without the astrix of course.

Instagram

Comment

I've been doing a trial run, and have found that pasting into the post wipes out my indents. Do I get around that by adding some extra spaces, or is there a way to do indents here? Probably a stupid question with a simple answer, sorry, but thanks for answering anyway.
                              www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Nik...I think if you go to the button titled "Go Advanced" you will see an increase or decrease indent button. Hopefully this will work for you!
                                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X