Cemetery Dance magazine to re-open to submissions later this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristopher Kelly View Post
    Just got rejected. Best of luck to the rest of you!
    Oh, I'm so sorry.

Comment

That's rough, Kris. Keep plugging away, you'll get it next time. I hope it's a little comforting to know that you got close, especially with so much great competition.
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Thanks, everyone -- it's okay. It was fun getting to dream big for a while. Like Tennyson says, it's better to have submitted and lost than never to have submitted at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristopher Kelly View Post
          Thanks, everyone -- it's okay. It was fun getting to dream big for a while. Like Tennyson says, it's better to have submitted and lost than never to have submitted at all.
          Out of interest Kris, what was the story about that you submitted?
          "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
          - Stephen King

Comment

sorry, KK. you must have gotten really close. be sure to send that story out far and wide. good luck. if you need some ideas, check out my column, especially the horror section:

http://litreactor.com/columns/storyv...d-your-stories
            FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Oh man, so sorry to read that KK.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
                Out of interest Kris, what was the story about that you submitted?
                Haha, well -- I'm editing it again with the hopes of getting it accepted somewhere else, so I won't say too much just now, other than that it had nothing to do with zombies (or anything like them), vampires, werewolves, serial killers, creepy dolls, clowns, aliens, the apocalypse, or the post-apocalypse. I tried reeeeeeeeeally hard to write about something I hadn't read about before but that I thought was supercool. Put a TON of real research into it, too, and then tried to keep the pace pretty light and fast and make it character-driven. Looking back on it now, sure -- I can see some dialogue that needs works, and I've got some better ideas for the ending (bit of a case of a monologuing bad guy at the end, which I'm playing around with getting rid of entirely -- though it's tough not to descend into expositional hell when you've got so much world built out behind the story). Let me rephrase all this: it's basically a mystery, with some light horror at the end. I still think it rocks (they said send our best, and I definitely sent mine); after another draft and some polishing, back out it goes!

Truth be told, during the past few months, I thought about the piece a lot, and I was thinking that it was a shame I hadn't had the time to do one more rewrite on it before the submission window closed.

Now, silver linings-style, I have that chance to make a good story even better.

Comment

Nice one Kris, your story sounds very intriguing. I am glad you have not given up with this, as that would be a real shame.

Re-write that thing, get some close friends to proof read it for you and then bang it out to every publisher known to man. I am sure they will be begging to publish your material in due time!
                  "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                  - Stephen King

Comment

Hi Brian, any news you can share on the stories being processed? No rush, just hadn't seen any updates posted here for a while so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
                    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                      Hi Brian, any news you can share on the stories being processed? No rush, just hadn't seen any updates posted here for a while so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
                      I know about 20 rejections have gone out, so hopefully we'll get this wrapped up in the next month!

Brian
                      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                        I know about 20 rejections have gone out, so hopefully we'll get this wrapped up in the next month!

Brian
                        Thanks for the update, Brian!

Comment

Cool, Brian, thanks for the update and the quick response!
                          www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I totally imagine the remaining stories cage fighting at this point.

Comment

It has been too quiet on this board lately. I like all you scriveners, and if I could carry your stories up Mount Doom, I would.

Cage match would be fun. Would certainly be better than an endless game of rock-paper-scissors.

(Paper ... paper ... paper ... paper ... )

Comment

Anyone else heard anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X