Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What book are you most interested in purchasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subterranean Press is definitely worth a look. I just ordered their The Horror Stories of Rober E. Howard. looks like a great book!

sk

Comment

I was gifted the entire trade pareback set of "Best of Robert Howard" books, but "The best Horror Stories of REH" is my favorite. You made a great choice!

I ordered "Kraken " and "Zodiac" from SP. Although their dust covers are paper rather than the glossy finished ones of CD, the books are well-designed and illustrated. However, Subterranean Press is lacking in the customer service department and I felt "blown off" when I brought up an issue with one of books I received. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware, but nowhere on their site do they say that the slipcases for "Zodiac" are too snug. If you manage to get the book out of case without cutting the case (an option I considered), you won't be able to get it back in. All copies of "Zodiac" are life that, apparently.

But enough. Mansion House Books is a company I've come to like. They use a digital printing process which is interesting.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by danny View Post
        CD is on the right track with Bentley Little and Preston/Child!!!
        I would agree - it's amazing how CD almost unerringly picks such great projects to do. Sub Press is useful too in the way mentioned earlier if your looking to explore a bit and expand your reading parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          Subterranean Press is definitely worth a look. I just ordered their The Horror Stories of Rober E. Howard. looks like a great book!

sk

Can't wait for this one.... I'd prefer Sub Press's series of collecing Howards work over many - and there has been quite a few over the years, i.e. Donald Grant in the 70's right up to Wildside Press's ambitious 10 volume (and going?) set that is smyth sewn, cloth boards, etc.. All good but Sub quality is unsurpassed with respect to bookcraft and value for dollar IMO

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
            Dark Regions is another one that has a lot of horror books, as well as doing paperbacks of their titles as well. I think they might do a little more than just horror (they might for all I know, I haven't looked through their whole library), but they are a good publisher as well. I've only gotten a couple things from them though myself, will never be anywhere close to my CD collection as I am more into the authors CD has, but I will continue to shop there on occasion

Oh, and I think all their limited editions come will ribbon page markers, though I cannot say that with 100% certainty. I do know their limited editions tend to be $40-50 each and limited to 100 copies, and then slipcased versions limited to 26 copies for around $99
            Dark Regions is really amazing and while I'll occasionally get their ultra limited (lettered like) editions due to extra prose at times, etc. (Ghost House imprint has different stamping also, etc..) they are able to produce, IMO, quite beautiful limiteds in the $40 to $60 range as well as a myriad of trade p/b editions at very affordable prices. Something for all levels I'd say and while mostly horror oriented have recently branched out a bit for suspense and dark fantasy (actually they have always had a dark fantasy overtone to me). Consistently great stuff. Too many such presses makes the picking better but keeping the addiction in check harder, lol..

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
              I was gifted the entire trade pareback set of "Best of Robert Howard" books, but "The best Horror Stories of REH" is my favorite. You made a great choice!

I ordered "Kraken " and "Zodiac" from SP. Although their dust covers are paper rather than the glossy finished ones of CD, the books are well-designed and illustrated. However, Subterranean Press is lacking in the customer service department and I felt "blown off" when I brought up an issue with one of books I received. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware, but nowhere on their site do they say that the slipcases for "Zodiac" are too snug. If you manage to get the book out of case without cutting the case (an option I considered), you won't be able to get it back in. All copies of "Zodiac" are life that, apparently.

But enough. Mansion House Books is a company I've come to like. They use a digital printing process which is interesting.
              MHB press looks very interesting and seem to have something for most tastes. If you like hardcore / erotic horror then this press may be for you. I have yet to actually pull the trigger but I have always loved Graham Masterton and will eventually have to pick up their recent collection of his more erotic stories. Great UK publishing and the shipping seems fair too.

With regard to tight slipcases I always hated that and if your inclined to put a mylar jacket on your covers then the fit is even tighter - I don't have Zodiac but with regard to another publisher - PS Publishing - I'm so glad they offer that traycase option as I felt their slipcases were way too tight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                Dark Regions is another one that has a lot of horror books, as well as doing paperbacks of their titles as well. I think they might do a little more than just horror (they might for all I know, I haven't looked through their whole library), but they are a good publisher as well. I've only gotten a couple things from them though myself, will never be anywhere close to my CD collection as I am more into the authors CD has, but I will continue to shop there on occasion

Oh, and I think all their limited editions come will ribbon page markers, though I cannot say that with 100% certainty. I do know their limited editions tend to be $40-50 each and limited to 100 copies, and then slipcased versions limited to 26 copies for around $99
                Cemetery Dance and Dark Regions Press are the two Small press I try to buy everything of. I buy other Presses but CD and DRP get most of my money!
                " a.k.a brother odd"

Comment

The list of books I am looking forward to someday purchasing is too long to list but two that come to mind quickly are the Lettered Edition of Rick Hautala's Wildman from Full Moon press and the limited Edition of Stephen King's Skeleton Crew from Scream Press.

Comment

Secretary of Dreams V I since I wasn't even aware that Cemetery Dance was here at that point. I got a reading copy of V 2, so really happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      the limited Edition of Stephen King's Skeleton Crew from Scream Press.
                      That was my second King limited and it's still one of my all-time favorites.
                      I know some people complain about the reproduction of the artwork, but I love it.
                      Scream Press, unfortunately, went under because of this book.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Case View Post
                        Hey NJ, what a great topic/thread,

My collecting has historically been all over the map. There really are no limits except for the usual economic "downturn(s)" and the occasional need to pull myself back a bit, lol. I feel my collecting has evolved over the years. My library has transmogrified over the years but my "core" collection rarely mutates... I currently have a complete set of Ash Tree, Midnight House, Sarob, GSP, Ex Occidente to date (although there are some unique issues with this press and how its changed it's mission, etc.... another topic maybe), most all Tartarus Press, Side Real, Haunted Library. My Core Library will always include Cemetery Dance and Subterranian Press (I am always constantly amazed at the editorial consistency of high quality authors and titles these presses put out. Its like they read my mind or something - whenever I think "gee, this or that would be great to have in a limited edition format - POOF, all of a sudden "this or that" are announced for publication - amazing). I still buy the very occasional Delirum, Nightshade or Bloodletting although I want to state this here - I am truly intriqued by what Larry and Joshi are doing with the Arcane Wisdom imprint (the first two books were "different" with respect to bookcraft but they seem to be back on track and look great on the shelf together - the the content is what I am really into these days). Lots of Charnel House, Scream Press, Underwood Miller, Arkham House, Camelot Books (although infrequently produced, these books hold a standard of consistent, unremittingly wonderful quality - the lettereds really need to be seen to be appreciated - also they incorporate many of the classic elements of bookmaking which I love). Earthling (like Camelot, infrequent but unsurpassed in quality - more please ), Donald Grant, Mythos Books, some Gauntlet, Hippocampus Press, Centipede Press (especially Masters of the Weird Tale and their non-fiction offerings - expensive but usually worth every penny), The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box Press, Durtro, NESFA, B.E. Trice, some Necro, Haffner, Dark Harvest, Golden Gryphon Press, PS Publishing (looking forward to their classic pre-code comics set(s) coming soon... and the "Not at Night" spin-off series edited by the insurpressable Mr. Jones), etc, etc.. I know I left off lots and there are tons of one offs and really great books done by presses that are no more so the above is just a sampling really. I usually won't buy the lettered of a given title unless it's an author I've seriously been collecting and / or the lettered has additional prose not in any other edition, etc.. The sheer quality of a lettered edition will rarely dictate automatic purchase but it is always cool to see what's been done. Over the years I've needed to purge and willow my collection down. I just have too many books as I'm sure many of us can relate to. Never enough time for the actual reading. BTW, I'd like to show my library pics here soon but it always seems too much, lol. Keep collecting!

I've been collecting along those lines myself until recently when a financial setback put an end to collecting.

I'd contemplated selling some of my harder to find titles, but I'd rather eat them than sell them at today's prices on eBay.
                        Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                        Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                          I'd contemplated selling some of my harder to find titles, but I'd rather eat them than sell them at today's prices on eBay.
                          You can always post them here - if that's allowed.
                          I'm sure you'd get a fair price.

sk
                          Last edited by frik51; 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                            You can always post them here - if that's allowed.
                            I'm sure you'll get a fair price.

sk
                            It is allowed! I even made a special section for that.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

That's great -Haven't found this section yet, but I'll have a look...

sk

Found it!

Comment

The book I was most interesed in purchasing was The Gunslinger, by Stephen King. I wanted a first edition. At first I got a first edition 3rd printing for $80. then I saw a first edition second printing for $175 (which I thought was an awesome price!) Maybe someday I will get a first edition first printing, but right now the best price I saw was $400 and that is just too much for me to pay for just one book.

The most expiensive book I ever purchsed was Knowing Darkness (a collection of Stephen King artwork) I paid $325 for it. I bought beacuse I wanted to have and see all of the different types of Stephen King Artwork. I could have the artwork from limited edition books like Firestarter, Christine and Skeletion Crew without having to purchase all of these books seperately.

So far, I don't have any signed limited edtion books. These are just way out of my price range. I am happy to have gift editions and artist editons.

Comment

Working...
                                X