Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you most interested in purchasing?

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    I guess I wouldn't mind having a 1st print of Salem's Lot with the misprinted price, Fathy Cody instead of Father Callahan in the book flap and whatever the third mistake was. Of course, I can also think of a few other things that $100,000 should probably be spent on instead...

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    7 had it's moments, tho I can think of a better ending.
    I honestly loved the ending from the start. In a way I didn't like that Roland and company had to do it all over again, but at the same time it made sense and also provided hope that this next time might be his last time going through it. I can understand why some didn't like it though

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar

*SPOILER ALERT* ending of DT discussed

I like the idea that Roland had to go thru the whole thing again as he regains his humanity a little at a time. This time tho, he has the Horn of Eld with him which might make a difference. How many times has this cycle gone on? Who knows.

What I thought was missing was moral choice. At the top of the DT, I would have put two doors-- one with the desert at the beginning of the Gunslinger, one with the chaos that Mid-World had become when the beams broke and the DT has cumbled. Not a happy ending, but rest, if not peace for Roland.

Then I would have enemies charge him and force Roland to make a quick decision.

I would have ended the book with "The black man fled across the desert..."

Was Roland following him?

Who knows.

I love anti-climatic endings.
    Last edited by srboone; 05-24-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    I've ordered a couple that I'm really looking forward to, such as In Laymon's Terms from CD and Harlan Ellison's The Glass Teat & The Other Glass Teat from Charnel House.

One that I really lust after is the Lettered Edition of the Centipede Press 'Salem's Lot. I actually got a really nice copy of the cheaper Limited edition from Betts Books recently, but I still want the Lettered.

I'd also like to buy that set of asbestos covered books I see online - Firestarter and Fahrenheit 451. I think it was around $30k for those

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I've ordered a couple that I'm really looking forward to, such as In Laymon's Terms from CD and Harlan Ellison's The Glass Teat & The Other Glass Teat from Charnel House.

One that I really lust after is the Lettered Edition of the Centipede Press 'Salem's Lot. I actually got a really nice copy of the cheaper Limited edition from Betts Books recently, but I still want the Lettered.

I'd also like to buy that set of asbestos covered books I see online - Firestarter and Fahrenheit 451. I think it was around $30k for those
    Yeah, I'm in for a Glass Teat... ahem, Ellison's collection of essays about TV due out from Charnel House - priced at a cool $700 this is the most money I've seen as a base price for a "regular" Charnel House limited go for (now lettereds range in the thousands I know.. and forget the secondary market - this excludes The Regulators as this was done by Joe for Dutton if I"m not mistaken). Looks to be huge and very cool!

I've been saving up for the recently-announced Lee Brown Coye and Hannes Bok editions from Centipede Press. Their books are very expensive, but they're so well done. A nasty addiction, I guess, but at least it won't kill me - as long as one of those massive volumes doesn't crush my chest as I'm reading it on the couch! Centipede is also supposed to do Leiber's OUR LADY OF DARKNESS, which just might be my all-time favorite horror novel. I think I've also heard that Subterranean is going to release McCammon's THEY THIRST. I'm looking forward to that, too. Of course, there is also the out-of-the-blue stuff that suddenly lurches into view, like CD's just-announced Russo zombie book!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Subterranean is supposed to do They Thirst, Bethany's Sin, Night Boar and Stinger at some point.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Subterranean is supposed to do They Thirst at some point.
    Dark Harvest came with a very nice limited years ago.

Would McCammon even allow a second limited edition?

sk

If I recall correctly, Subterranean already mentioned it on their website a while back along with Bethany and Night Boat. I don't recall if Stinger was officially mentioned on their site, but maybe it is Hunter who mentioned it? I know I read it somewhere.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed goathunter's Avatar
    Brad is right, Subterranean plans to do limiteds of Bethany's Sin, The Night Boat, They Thirst (yes, even after the Dark Harvest limited), and Stinger. I don't have timeframes for any of these yet. Stinger was originally announced at the same time the limited of The Wolf's Hour was announced, but then they signed the deal for the first four books, and I'm not sure when Stinger will be done.

Hunter

The only important thing.....they WILL be done!!! SWEET!!!

The only important thing.....they WILL be done!!! SWEET!!!
    Agreed!

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Subterranean Press is definitely worth a look. I just ordered their The Horror Stories of Rober E. Howard. looks like a great book!

sk

that looks amazing! now i wish i had $150 dollars to spend on books...

That's a gorgeous book, isn't it?!
    It has been shipped weeks ago, but still hasn't arrived.
    Hm...

sk

It has been shipped weeks ago, but still hasn't arrived.
    Hm...

sk
    I think the problem is that you live too damn far away!!! The United States is a BIG country. Plenty of room. Cheaper shipping from CD if you move here. Think about it!!!

I think the problem is that you live too damn far away!!! The United States is a BIG country. Plenty of room. Cheaper shipping from CD if you move here. Think about it!!!
    Haha, I have lived there - well, almost; a couple of miles -literally-from your Washington (state) border - right opposite Sumas; pretty close to Bellingham.
    I used to live in Canada (British Columbia).
    I'd love to re-live those years!

sk

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Haha, I have lived there - well, almost; a couple of miles -literally-from your Washington (state) border - right opposite Sumas; pretty close to Bellingham.
    I used to live in Canada (British Columbia).
    I'd love to re-live those years!

sk
    Yeah, i used to live in New Jersey... Ahh, the good old days, when shipping costs didn't hurt much and orders never took over 3 weeks to arrive...

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed misery chastain loves co.'s Avatar
    Although I think this is doable at some point I want/need the hardcover version of Cycle of the Werewolf!

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie View Post
    The book I was most interesed in purchasing was The Gunslinger, by Stephen King. I wanted a first edition. At first I got a first edition 3rd printing for $80. then I saw a first edition second printing for $175 (which I thought was an awesome price!) Maybe someday I will get a first edition first printing, but right now the best price I saw was $400 and that is just too much for me to pay for just one book.

The most expiensive book I ever purchsed was Knowing Darkness (a collection of Stephen King artwork) I paid $325 for it. I bought beacuse I wanted to have and see all of the different types of Stephen King Artwork. I could have the artwork from limited edition books like Firestarter, Christine and Skeletion Crew without having to purchase all of these books seperately.

So far, I don't have any signed limited edtion books. These are just way out of my price range. I am happy to have gift editions and artist editons.

I was lucky enough to have someone recommend The Dark Tower in 1980 from Donald Grant. I paid $20.00 for the first edition! Little did I know it would end being the most expensive book on my shelf. I do buy some of SK's gift editions, but anything more is just too much. I have all of his books in hardback and I can't imagine ever selling them.

Member Part-timer
    I have 2 duplicate Signed limited 10 1000 copies of the "Stories From the Plague Years" and "The Secret Backs of Things"- anyone have a book they would like to trade for a copy of both? I'm looking for a unsigned CD edition "From a Buick Eight", or a unsigned CD version of "Full dark ,no Stars" ;if there is a nibble i have an unsigned Uk hardcover that has never been read with blue cornfield Dust-jacket-alternate to sweeten the deal ,this edition is perfect from Hodder and Stoughton -and unsigned/rare item actually in U.S.. I also have duplicate "Slipcased Signed Robin Furth's complete limited Dark t Tower Concordance". The way i see it I only "need" one of each of these books which i ended up with 3 signed doubles ,since I am in the book club and I ordered some grab-bags .If anyone needs to fill a gap I'll make a fair ,equitable trade-if anyone.. wishesI just want to fill some gaps and not have duplicates. Beambounder. You never know what you are going to get in the book club, so I purchased and ended up with 3 signed twin sets.