No announcement yet.

Professional movers damaged my collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the best news today! I spoke to the claims adjuster, they reviewed the professional appraisal and settled based on my prices - in full. I guess I see why as I looked and see I actually quoted pretty low prices on some, but still, to the penny they paid what I asked for. The only down side was right after the good news, she called back and offered to sell me the damaged books (let me keep them) in exchange for taking half payment. I work in insurance, yes this is legal - basically when an insurance company settles with you they buy they stuff from you. I was very tempted to take half and keep them, but one book was going to cost $1500 to replace on its own and if I took half that would be only $2000 in all. I would be stuck with a bunch of damaged books. So I declined - I told them come pick them up send me $4,000 and I am shopping for books! Unfortunately when I looked at the books I had claimed I realized one is my copy of The Strain. If I give that up then when the matching copy of the Fall arrives I won't have matching numbers. But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.

Comment

Glad to hear they are taking care of you.
      Originally posted by bstee View Post
      I got the best news today! I spoke to the claims adjuster, they reviewed the professional appraisal and settled based on my prices - in full. I guess I see why as I looked and see I actually quoted pretty low prices on some, but still, to the penny they paid what I asked for. The only down side was right after the good news, she called back and offered to sell me the damaged books (let me keep them) in exchange for taking half payment. I work in insurance, yes this is legal - basically when an insurance company settles with you they buy they stuff from you. I was very tempted to take half and keep them, but one book was going to cost $1500 to replace on its own and if I took half that would be only $2000 in all. I would be stuck with a bunch of damaged books. So I declined - I told them come pick them up send me $4,000 and I am shopping for books! Unfortunately when I looked at the books I had claimed I realized one is my copy of The Strain. If I give that up then when the matching copy of the Fall arrives I won't have matching numbers. But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.

Comment

Congratulations!!
        I'm really glad this has worked out reasonably well for you.

Enjoy the spree!!

sk

Comment

Yes I am happy for you too.You went through alot to get some sort of payment.I still think the moving company should pay you also.

Comment

Originally posted by bstee View Post
            But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.
            So, no furniture?

Comment

Actually it will be both. the movers were really the worst ever, they broke a few other items so my wife has check for some furniture and I get to go book shopping. Since The Fall was wasn't dinged too bad, I bought it back from them so I still have my copy and the settlement. I am finally done. Now it is off to Ebay, ABE, of course CD and well shoot who knows where else. I feel like I have a ton to spend, but a month from now I will have book hangover and it will all be gone. Of I could just but a couple lettered copies and it would be done just like that.

Comment

Thunderstorm Books would also be a good place to buy some books. You could get the new Kealan Patrick Burke novel or some Ronald Kelly stuff.
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

I wont let this happen if I have to call for such service. What I believe is that you should guide them about your precious stuff so you don't have to suffer from such loss.

Comment

Working...
                  X