Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Professional movers damaged my collection

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Next time you'll just have to pack them yourself. Will be a pain, but its the only safe way to go that will guarantee that your collection is transported safely.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    Next time you'll just have to pack them yourself.
    That's what I've always done with my books. I wouldn't have it any other way.

sk

Same here Siep. I was worried the most while moving from the US to Europe, but everyhing went smoothly.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this. That is the nightmare every time a collector somewhere moves.

I moved about a year ago with professional movers. They moved everything except my books. Those I hauled by myself, but first I spent hours packing them in miles of bubblewrap.

Good luck to you in getting things sorted out about those nineteen books. Wishing you quick and pristine replacements at reasonable prices!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well. The only CD related book was The Strain and since it was only the slipcase I should still be ok when my matching next edition comes out.

My biggest concern is the company said they don't really know anything about books so they are sending an adjuster out who will try to adjust. As we all know condition is everything so I hope that they don't locate a bunch of cheap replacements with bookplates and such. Also, with a novice adjuster I have concerns. For example the book that just killed me was my 1st signed Limited No Country for Old Men. The absolute cheapest you can find it for is $1350. But if they know nothing about books I may not be quoted for the right edition. Overall the damage came to about $4,000. The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by bstee View Post
    ...The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair
    LOL!

Think of it as trading your books for a happy and content wife...

But seriously, I hope whoever the hell they find to look at them can tell the difference between a limited edition and a regular hardcover! Hope all goes well for you!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well.
    I do hope this nightmare ends well for you. This is an absolutely horrifying experience.
    I wish you well!!

sk

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Merlin1958's Avatar
    Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well. The only CD related book was The Strain and since it was only the slipcase I should still be ok when my matching next edition comes out.

My biggest concern is the company said they don't really know anything about books so they are sending an adjuster out who will try to adjust. As we all know condition is everything so I hope that they don't locate a bunch of cheap replacements with bookplates and such. Also, with a novice adjuster I have concerns. For example the book that just killed me was my 1st signed Limited No Country for Old Men. The absolute cheapest you can find it for is $1350. But if they know nothing about books I may not be quoted for the right edition. Overall the damage came to about $4,000. The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair

First rule of Book Collecting: Never, under any circumstances other than a death bed, ever, ever, let the wife know what a book costs!!!! They are all "$50" at the most!!! Also, hide all CC statements under penalty of death!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    First rule of Book Collecting: Never, under any circumstances other than a death bed, ever, ever, let the wife know what a book costs!!!! They are all "$50" at the most!!! Also, hide all CC statements under penalty of death!!!! LOL LOL LOL
    You talk like a man with experience!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You forgot honey the book was $50 but then there was a coupon.Also well this was ordered 2 years ago and is just finally being released..

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Or just say you ordered it a while ago and don't remember when exactly. And of course say you had a gift certificate, though probably should only do that if you really did use one, lol I am almost to a point where I can't do that anymore
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

You guys are doin it wrong!

"Honey, the book was free. All they want me to do is write up a review..."

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Teriw's Avatar
    I usually got with its one of the ones I ordered way back in Feb when I spent myeftover christmas funds. 90% of the time recently that was true.

Teri, we didn't know that you also had a wife who controlled your wallet and gave you the evil eye when a package showed up on the door step!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    I tried that once when I purchased a lap top.I got the look and a giant head shake.I even wrote a letter and stuck it in the bottom of the box to try and prove my point.Well I am not the greatest speller and I signed it in my own name.She did not by that one at all.Worse she was right the lap top was nothing but trouble.
    You guys are doin it wrong!

"Honey, the book was free. All they want me to do is write up a review..."

Teri your wife?..
    Teri, we didn't know that you also had a wife who controlled your wallet and gave you the evil eye when a package showed up on the door step!

No wife but I am living with my parents who only let us move in so we could save up to buy a house...not books

Well you could buy a house of books.

Well the house is no longer an option at all considering the situation...hopefully once I move many more books WILL be an option.