No announcement yet.

Professional movers damaged my collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I moved around a lot as well. We'd just rent a big u-haul truck and pack it ourselves. Took days but at least we were sure that everything that needed special packing would receive it.

Comment

I finished the task. Took photos of the packing, the books and the damage. All told there were 19 damaged. I guess with close to 300 high end books that is not as bad as I feared. What really just pi$&Ed me off was that the box this mover packed while I watched was perfect. The next got sloppy with the books partially wrapped. The next five boxes had no protection at all and some books were horizontal while others were vertical. Just laziness. But the insurgence is sending an adjuster out to see what they can do to "repair" or possibly replace. They admitted they know nothing about books.

I have 20 years of law and insurance experience so believe I can hold my own on this one. There is no repairing of these books. Hopefully all will go well. I have a few unique items so valuing or replacing will be difficult. It is just a pain and a disappointment and knowing I will be moving in another year or two I dread it more,than ever.

Comment

Still, 19 damaged books, that's rough. THough I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Good luck with the insurance guys.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

19. Hmmm... were they all Dark Tower related??

Joking aside. I'm still so sorry to hear all this. Best of luck getting things fixed!
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

nice catch Terry. Glad to hear it was only 19 though. Its alot but like you said, much better than 300

Comment

Next time you'll just have to pack them yourself. Will be a pain, but its the only safe way to go that will guarantee that your collection is transported safely.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                Next time you'll just have to pack them yourself.
                That's what I've always done with my books. I wouldn't have it any other way.

sk

Comment

Same here Siep. I was worried the most while moving from the US to Europe, but everyhing went smoothly.

Comment

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this. That is the nightmare every time a collector somewhere moves.

I moved about a year ago with professional movers. They moved everything except my books. Those I hauled by myself, but first I spent hours packing them in miles of bubblewrap.

Good luck to you in getting things sorted out about those nineteen books. Wishing you quick and pristine replacements at reasonable prices!

Comment

Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well. The only CD related book was The Strain and since it was only the slipcase I should still be ok when my matching next edition comes out.

My biggest concern is the company said they don't really know anything about books so they are sending an adjuster out who will try to adjust. As we all know condition is everything so I hope that they don't locate a bunch of cheap replacements with bookplates and such. Also, with a novice adjuster I have concerns. For example the book that just killed me was my 1st signed Limited No Country for Old Men. The absolute cheapest you can find it for is $1350. But if they know nothing about books I may not be quoted for the right edition. Overall the damage came to about $4,000. The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair

Comment

Originally posted by bstee View Post
                        ...The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair
                        LOL!

Comment

Think of it as trading your books for a happy and content wife...

But seriously, I hope whoever the hell they find to look at them can tell the difference between a limited edition and a regular hardcover! Hope all goes well for you!

Comment

Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well.
                            I do hope this nightmare ends well for you. This is an absolutely horrifying experience.
                            I wish you well!!

sk

Comment

Well a few months later and my claim is now being processed. I have hopes that it will go well. The only CD related book was The Strain and since it was only the slipcase I should still be ok when my matching next edition comes out.

My biggest concern is the company said they don't really know anything about books so they are sending an adjuster out who will try to adjust. As we all know condition is everything so I hope that they don't locate a bunch of cheap replacements with bookplates and such. Also, with a novice adjuster I have concerns. For example the book that just killed me was my 1st signed Limited No Country for Old Men. The absolute cheapest you can find it for is $1350. But if they know nothing about books I may not be quoted for the right edition. Overall the damage came to about $4,000. The other scary part is when my wife saw this she suggested if they settle for anything close to this amount it would buy some nice furniture. I want my books replaced trading my books for a sofa and coffee table does not seem fair

First rule of Book Collecting: Never, under any circumstances other than a death bed, ever, ever, let the wife know what a book costs!!!! They are all "$50" at the most!!! Also, hide all CC statements under penalty of death!!!! LOL LOL LOL
                              My Collection:
                              http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958
                              Fine Wooden Tray & Slipcases:
                              http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1958 View Post
                                First rule of Book Collecting: Never, under any circumstances other than a death bed, ever, ever, let the wife know what a book costs!!!! They are all "$50" at the most!!! Also, hide all CC statements under penalty of death!!!! LOL LOL LOL
                                You talk like a man with experience!

Comment

Working...
                                X