Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you recommend....

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar

What would you recommend....

OK. So...obviously from being here, I am a big fan of horror/dark fiction. I also enjoy other stuff too, a lot of science type stuff - authors like Kaku, Dawkins, and eventually want to dabble into Hawking too.

I want to get into the sci-fi realm a bit, but don't even know where to start. I actually enjoyed Mars by Ben Bova. Back in the '80-'90s my father was a member in some science fiction book club, but was more into Asimov, the Star Trek and Star Wars type books, and the Dragonriders series too. I am not really into that realm of sci-fi.

So, I am calling out to my friends at CD to help me look into some real good sci-fi novels. Embassytown looks interesting, Squire - I see you had good stuff to say about this. Dan Simmons Hyperion looks good too. The problem is, that I am not sure what type of sci-fi I like.

I know many older books would be outdated reading today right?

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Embassytown was a great SF novel, IMO. My favorite SF novel is Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. It was made into a movie back in 1979 called Stalker. I understand it also inspired the video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (though I don't know first-hand). It follows the theory that great science fiction is also great fiction.

Look through the titles of Alfred Bester and William Tenn, you might find something there that sparks your fancy!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Though I've not read it, I hear that 2001: A Space Odyssey is good. It's on my TBR list.

Philip K. Dick is a classic! Not so sure about modern Sci-fi authors but I'll have a dig through my book shelf later on and see if I can't help you out! Good luck on the search!

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    Though I've not read it, I hear that 2001: A Space Odyssey is good. It's on my TBR list.
    That will be easy, it's on my Dad's book shelf, unless he got rid of this collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Doyle View Post
    Philip K. Dick is a classic! Not so sure about modern Sci-fi authors but I'll have a dig through my book shelf later on and see if I can't help you out! Good luck on the search!
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a title that always caught my attention. Thanks!

In another thread, I think I mentioned Hyperion by Dan Simmons is high on my list, just from the reviews I've read on it, and having not read anything by him it could be a good start into his works.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I loved Stephen Donaldson's Gap series....5 books....the first is much smaller and "lighter" material then the late 4. Great stuff!!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication subie09lega's Avatar
    Another that I've heard is good (but very long) is The Wheel of Time series. The length of this scares me away.

Wow....just poked around with that on Goodreads, and yes..... long series!!!!

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Wow....just poked around with that on Goodreads, and yes..... long series!!!!
    It's fantastic and one of my favorite series. Though it's more fantasy than science fiction. It also has it's ups and downs. Though it is finally complete. If you're delving into the fantasy end of the spectrum, look up Terry Brooks. He's one of my all time favorite authors. I don't personally read much science fiction, but Dave at the office is a huge fan of The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Dan, can you ask him if it's worth it beyond the original trilogy. The original trilogy is coming up on my TBR and I was debating if I should start tracking down the others.

My Dad has almost every Asimov book (or had at one time). I really don't think that's my thing though. I used to like the old OMNI magazine he used to get too.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Dan, can you ask him if it's worth it beyond the original trilogy. The original trilogy is coming up on my TBR and I was debating if I should start tracking down the others.
    He says it's good, just not as good.

Instagram

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    I never really got into Sci-fi books much, other than the odd read here and there. Though I have a few paperbacks at the ready if the mood strikes. I've mostly been reading fantasy for the past 15 years, with some horror, crime and non-fiction interspersed in the mix. I really liked the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury though...

What about Dune? I know a buddy of mine loved it. It's been on my TBR list for a while, got a paperback ready and waiting for me, haha.

I have considered Dune, but if I'm not mistaken it is a marathon of a read, that is why I keep putting of It.

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I never really got into Sci-fi books much, other than the odd read here and there. Though I have a few paperbacks at the ready if the mood strikes. I've mostly been reading fantasy for the past 15 years, with some horror, crime and non-fiction interspersed in the mix. I really liked the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury though...

What about Dune? I know a buddy of mine loved it. It's been on my TBR list for a while, got a paperback ready and waiting for me, haha.
    I never got around to reading Dune, though I was a big fan of the mini series that was done.

Instagram

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    I second Embassytown. My opinion only got better as I reflected on it in the days after I finished reading it.

If you like China Mieville, try Perdido Street Station. It's brilliant, as is the sequel The Scar.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    The Scar is on my TBR list. I will get to it eventually.