Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell if your book is a first printing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What now you hate boxes too.
    Originally posted by Teriw View Post
    Well its not like I live in a box.

Comment

The number line on the copyright page is usually the best indicator in the newer books. If there's a "1" there, you can be sure it's a first printing. Of course, the exception to this is Black House, where the first printing has a number line with a "2".

John

Comment

But I always thought the number line with a 1 means first edition, not first printing. Thats what's confusing me.

Comment

The number line refers to the printing of that edition. So it could be the first printing of a second edition. So, for example, the anniversary edition of It with the number line 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, or however it goes as long as it has the 1, would be the first printing if that edition.

Comment

That would mean all of my Firsts editions are First Prints.

Comment

Seems like that's the case.

Comment

Well all of the ones with the number line. and the other ones, how to I know with them? Does the SK list on his website mean theyre first ed/first print as well?

Comment

I'm not up on how to tell that a Stephen King book is a first or not. Here is a guide from kings site on first editions. If you have what's in the identifiers column you have a true first (first edition/first printing).

http://www.stephenking.com/other/ide...t_editions.pdf

Comment

Thats what I went by to find my first editions but I didnt think that necessarily meant they were a first print.

Comment

This is the site I use; Grant mentioned it months ago in his collection when he posted his Stephen King babuskas.

http://skcollector.com/index.php
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Yea skcollector, stephenking.com and tdt all say the exact same thing. But all say first edition and nothing about printings which is why I wasn't clear. but if these lists are saying this stuff makes them a first PRINT then all of my first editions are first prints.

Comment

They should all be first prints on skcollector, that's what it's for.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Well if thats what its for then he should say it because all it says is first edition.

Comment

Well books can go through multiple printings in an "edition", so the 13579108642 will idicate the printing; when a second edition comes out, the cover is usually changed; if not, it will usually say second edition on the copyright page.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. everything makes sense now and I have quite a few that are first/firsts...which is pretty well all my HC's. I am missing a few DJ's though, 3 maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X