No announcement yet.

Another Contest!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to know how he did it. The thread was on the third page of the writers corner in a post from 2011. I was in the what's new checking the new posts. lol

Comment

It was actually pretty easy. I do a lot of offline web browsing on my iPod Touch (no Wifi at work). Every night, I download the entire CD discussion forum (along with thedarktower.org, skcollector.com, and Grantland) so I can read stuff on my way to work. Tonight after work, I was browsing TDT.org live (I was home at the time), when Dan cross-posted about the contest. So, I backed up last night's version of the site onto my computer, and then downloaded the latest version. Then I wrote a pretty basic script (actually, I used Visual Basic for Applications running in an instance of Microsoft Excel; it wasn't very pretty) that compared the two different versions of all of the individual files (each page of each thread is a different file). There were only a handful of differences to look into, and I was able to find the correct post within about 20 seconds of running the macro. No sweat, really.

Spoiler!

Comment

Thats your idea of easy? Sounds complicated unless your into that stuff which you clearly are. Also, in my book, it's cheating.

Comment

Robert's just pulling your leg. He didn't find it that way. He just thought a bit outside the box and used my screw up to his advantage. As apparently you can search by attachment id. We're gonna try again on Monday, except I won't let it be nearly that easy next time. I'm still gonna give Robert a prize though, just not The Strain.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

It's hard to see, but the spoiler in my post says, "And if you believe all that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you..." I don't know how to do the things I wrote; I don't even know if they are possible. And I don't own an iPod.

Comment

Originally posted by robert fulman View Post
              i don't know how to do the things i wrote; i don't even know if they are possible. And i don't own an ipod.
              lol!

Comment

At least I won't be busy on monday since I don't work..unfortunately it may mean I am asleep.

Comment

Just had to give you some rep points for the spiel, Robert - best (and biggest) shovel-load I've seen in quite a while on the CD site - well done !!!!

Comment

Shovel load my foot.Try pay loader full

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fulman View Post
                      It was actually pretty easy. I do a lot of offline web browsing on my iPod Touch (no Wifi at work). Every night, I download the entire CD discussion forum (along with thedarktower.org, skcollector.com, and Grantland) so I can read stuff on my way to work. Tonight after work, I was browsing TDT.org live (I was home at the time), when Dan cross-posted about the contest. So, I backed up last night's version of the site onto my computer, and then downloaded the latest version. Then I wrote a pretty basic script (actually, I used Visual Basic for Applications running in an instance of Microsoft Excel; it wasn't very pretty) that compared the two different versions of all of the individual files (each page of each thread is a different file). There were only a handful of differences to look into, and I was able to find the correct post within about 20 seconds of running the macro. No sweat, really.

Spoiler!
                      Bravo!! Love the spoiler!

And dammit Dan, no contests while I'm away on business trips!

Comment

the only part of it that didnt seem right to me was that he views it on his ipod because its hard to get an ipod to do anything it wasnt made to do. lol. God i hate apple. although if I had an Iphone I probably would have been able to see the spoiler. lol

Comment

you can see the spoiler on anything, all you need to do is highlight it since he wrote in white colored text. I've done it a few times on here too! Scavenger hunt! Find that post and win my eternal ummmmm.... whatever.

Comment

my blackberry won't let me highlight inside the spoiler box

Comment

phooey on that then! no option to even copy previously posted text?

Comment

I can copy anything as long as its not in that spoiler box. I dont understand why I cant but I also don't really care. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X