Dollar Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollar Babies

Obviously there are some fans of Stephen King on here(noooo! really? ) and we all know the story of the Dollar Babies so my question to you is:

If you paid a dollar for one of his short stories to film which one would it be?

Survivor Type
    Rich DeMars

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
      Survivor Type
      That would make a GREAT short!! I'm really surprised someone hasn't tackled that yet. Like Cast Away but without Wilson and with cannibalism!

Comment

I am the Doorway. King's creepiest to me.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The Man in the Black Suit or LT's Theory of Pets.

Comment

I think it's already been done, but I haven't seen it, so I'd take a crack at "Last Rung on the Ladder".
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Great answers guys! I would love to see The Monkey done. Of course it's been long rumored that Darabont wants to tackle it.
              TerryE-The Last Rung on the Ladder has been done and if anyone wants to check any of these out there are a whole bunch on youtube(including this) just type in Dollar babies-Stephen King. I didn't realize how many were out there! I've only watched a couple but plan on watching all available shorts!

Comment

Here's a release from Lilja's Library yesterday.

"Mark Pavia has confirmed that his new King project is called Stephen King’s The Reaper’s Image and for those of you that don’t know, it’s a anthology film that will include adaptations of the following stories:

The Reaper’s Image
                Mile 81
                N
                The Monkey"

Sounds very interesting until I looked it up and Pavia was the one who wrote and directed The Night Flier which was underwhelming to say the least. But it may have been a case of stretching a short story too long. Maybe he can do much better with the shorter stories in an anthology film. Personally I'd much rather see an anthology film than see something that should run for 20 minutes stretched out to 2 hours (Graveyard Shift, The Night Flier, Children of the Corn, etc. etc.)
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                  Here's a release from Lilja's Library yesterday.

"Mark Pavia has confirmed that his new King project is called Stephen King’s The Reaper’s Image and for those of you that don’t know, it’s a anthology film that will include adaptations of the following stories:

The Reaper’s Image
                  Mile 81
                  N
                  The Monkey"

Sounds very interesting until I looked it up and Pavia was the one who wrote and directed The Night Flier which was underwhelming to say the least. But it may have been a case of stretching a short story too long. Maybe he can do much better with the shorter stories in an anthology film. Personally I'd much rather see an anthology film than see something that should run for 20 minutes stretched out to 2 hours (Graveyard Shift, The Night Flier, Children of the Corn, etc. etc.)
                  oh wow! This sounds like it could be fun. I totally agree with you that an anthology of each story is a better way to go and I'm happy to see The Monkey on there! Although Darabont could have done better. We already know that without having seen anything. lol. I didn't hate Night Flier but you made a valid point about the time constraint. I hope this gets made! I love anthologies and we need a some new King material. The stories chosen could either work out really well..or go in the opposite direction....

Comment

And you do know that Darabont started his career with a Dollar Baby, right? He wrote and directed The Woman in the Room. I actually had that on video, back when it was originally released and was impressed by it.

Comment

Strawberry Spring is one of my favorite King shorts. But that DB was incomprehensible! I'm not one who subscribes to the idea that a movie/short must follow plot points exactly, but Cheez-n-Rice! That one's....simply incompetent!

I did like Disciples of the Crow, however.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

In an introductory film class in college I did adapt The Man Who Loved Flowers for a 10-minute short. I was the "Man" and a very talented actress named Kim Brack was the object of my affection. I had a classmate (who was quite possibly insane) mix me up a batch of blood and brains for the killing, but Kim was not thrilled about putting the mixture in her hair. Credits were printed in crayon on cardboard and placed in a flower garden. The whole thing was a lot of fun and I ended up with a B. I had no idea what a Dollar Baby was in 1986, tho. The whole thing has been lost in time and simply remains a good memory for me.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Very cool Squire. If only you had known about the festival circuit back then.

Comment

Western kansas was pretty isolated and the internet ws in its infancy. The film was silent, tho, and I didn't use any dialog boards. It was fun.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                              And you do know that Darabont started his career with a Dollar Baby, right? He wrote and directed The Woman in the Room. I actually had that on video, back when it was originally released and was impressed by it.
                              Oh yes! I had the VHS double with The Boogeyman. Long gone of course because I am a fool. Sometimes I wish I had held on to those tapes..or a VHS player for situations like this. It probably won't ever get a DVD release will it?

Comment

Working...
                              X