Cemetery Dance ARC Giveaway Winners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    My ARC, which is either Screamplays or Smoke & Mirrors, will be in my hands tomorrow as well.
    I dont know if you got it yet or not but I did confirm with Dan that he made the swap but didnt change the order itself so you will be getting Smoke and Mirrors regardless of what the email said.

Comment

I did receive Smoke and Mirrors today, and it is large and very cool looking.

Comment

No pictures? I'd like to see what I gave up..lol

Comment

Here it is, compared with SoD II:

001ygzp.jpg

And here is what one of the scripts looks like:

002qxrg.jpg

Comment

If only I had any idea of how big SOD 2 is. Can pretty well tell by the pic anyway though. Very nice. Will post mine in a week or so (hopefully)

Comment

Smoke and Mirror and Screamplays are going to be two huge books when they are done. The ARC's are at least twice as thick as the SOD V2 arc. Which means the book is probably going to about twice as thick as SOD V2 at that large trim size. I can't wait.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

You sir are not the only one!
                Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                Smoke and Mirror and Screamplays are going to be two huge books when they are done. The ARC's are at least twice as thick as the SOD V2 arc. Which means the book is probably going to about twice as thick as SOD V2 at that large trim size. I can't wait.

Comment

Apparently it takes 3 or more days for the Md usps offices to sort their international mail. Mines still in Baltimore. I hate waiting..lol.

Comment

Yeah, I think the SMOKE & MIRRORS and SCREAMPLAYS review copies had to be printed at smaller trim size (8.5 X 11, maybe?) because of the limitations of our ARC printer. These are going to be BIG books.

Brian
                    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Freeman View Post
                      Yeah, I think the SMOKE & MIRRORS and SCREAMPLAYS review copies had to be printed at smaller trim size (8.5 X 11, maybe?) because of the limitations of our ARC printer. These are going to be BIG books.

Brian
                      Yea that makes sense.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Guess I better reinforce my book shelves
                        Originally posted by Brian Freeman View Post

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fulman View Post
                          Here it is, compared with SoD II:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5197[/ATTACH]

And here is what one of the scripts looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5198[/ATTACH]

Did you read it yet? I'm curious what you thought?

Comment

I read two of the sections this morning, which I'll comment on below. The book is a collection of scripts, treatments, and the like, and they are presented in the original format provided by the writer. This includes typos and edits/notes made with pen or pencil. Overall, I think it's a really neat idea. My main problem is that the 13 stories make up the entire contents of the book. There is no introduction that describes the theme, and there is context provided for any of the individual stories. For example, Joe Hill's "Freddy Wertham Goes to Hell" is a comic book script that tries to introduce a new "host" for what I assume would have been a re-imagining of "Grave Tales". But I have no idea of when the script was written, or if they decided to use a different story or if the whole idea of a new "Grave Tales" series was scrapped. Similarly, "SOFTWAR" by Stewart O'Nan is a 4-page treatment of what I assume is an unproduced movie/TV show. It would be nice to know what exactly is was written for, and why is hasn't been fleshed out beyond the treatment. Up next, I'm going to read the two pieces by William Peter Blatty, just because my sister and his daughter were roommates in college.

Edit to add:I enjoyed Hill's comic script. I've never actually bought a comic book, but I do read trade collections. I would read this comic, if only to see how the artist could possibly cram it all into such a small number of panels. This has me excited to read my SubPress Locke & Key, which also contains the scripts by Hill. SOFTWAR was also good, but fairly vague, as treatments tend to be (he says, hoping noone will challenge him to name another treatment he has ever read). It would work as an episode of an anthology series.
                            Last edited by Robert Fulman; 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I've been working on the assumption that the pieces in Smoke and Mirrors were all unproduced, but William Peter Blatty's "Faith" was produced for the TV show Insight in 1975. I had never heard of Insight before, but I was surprised to learn it was a made by Paulist Productions (an explicitly Catholic/Christian/Religious organization that "creates films and television programs that reveal God's presence in the contemporary human experience.") I just found that to be an interesting bit of info, given that I am reading a horror/fantasy compilation. Within the context of the collection, it is an allegory (to an extent) of a man from space who tries to convince American to get rid of their nuclear stockpile. Within the context of the TV show, it's not really an allegory at all. I would be willing to give it a watch. Interestingly, the title was originally "The Man from Inner Space" but someone scratched it out on the title page and replaced it with "Ambassador", "Envoy", "The Visitor", and finally "Faith". However, according to IMDB, the episode was produced under the title "The Man from Inner Space".

Blatty's "Hell Hospital" is a two-page film premise that might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I would totally watch it if they could somehow actually get Harrison Ford to star in it.

Comment

I read the first three scripts/teleplays in the book today and enjoyed all three. The first is "The Magic Shop" by Neil Gaiman, based on the story by H.G. Wells. I had never read the Wells story before, but I am intrigued to do so now. The other two were "Tales from the Crypt" scripts by Frank Darabont, "Showdown" and "The Ventriloquist's Dummy". I definitely remember watching the ventriloquist episode, and I'm pretty sure that I remember Showdown as well. I was able to picture the action pretty closely, even though I saw the shows 20 years ago.

In the ARC, page 16 of the Showdown script is repeated on pages 46 and 47 of the book. I wonder if this is an error on CD's part, of if the mistake was in Darabont's orginal file, as all the scripts are shown in "the author's own formatting".

Up next, I think I'll try "The Joy of Living" by William F. Nolan.
                                Last edited by Robert Fulman; 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM. Reason: (Found the Smoke and Mirrors thread, but I'll leave this here)

Comment

Working...
                                X