Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet additions!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Joe - it's cool to find an author who has a certain background, that fits into personal interests. My wife really likes Robin Cook for example, and has an interest in certain aspects of medical, and was taking some basic courses at one time.

I unfortunately haven't really found an author with any particular background or interest similar to some of mine that writes any cool fiction that I know of.

Comment

I'm a sucker for all those types of thrillers with some obscure historical fact as the basis. His are more realistic in that the main character isn't plowing through historical sites.

What is your background if you don't mid me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
          I'm a sucker for all those types of thrillers with some obscure historical fact as the basis. His are more realistic in that the main character isn't plowing through historical sites.

What is your background if you don't mid me asking?
          I wouldn't say "background", but more of wish I would have done it, as they remain major interests/hobbies of mine.

A - I am a weather freak - wanted to be meteorologist (not the TV weatherman type - the ones who generate and analyze the charts, etc), and love the severe weather aspect of it. I actually did a lot of research/learning on my own.

B - growing up in the Great Lakes area, another big interest of mine is the ships that sail the lakes, and the many storms that have wrecked 1000s of ships - if you are not familiar look up the storm of 1913 and also in 1975 - the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald (ended up a top hit song by Gordon Lightfoot).

I know for the most part, these are rather boring topics, but I have ideas floating in my head that would, at least to me, make a really cool story when you tie in B with the many local native peoples legends, etc.

But as you said re: archaeology, I love stuff like that - to have a captivating read that has some historical fact (no matter how losely based) makes for some awesome reads. Something that could tap into some kind of historical fact, local legend, etc. gives the reader a sense of realism to it. Better than reading some historical reference material, or just an overview of certain events, etc.

Comment

I don't think I have posted these before. These are all of my Gibbins books. All signed except Atlantis, which I am happy about anyway since there were only 1,500 hardbacks printed of which 500 went to libraries.

I'll give a quick review in case my awesome photography piques anyones interest in the books.

He is an archaeologist by trade and you can tell that in the writing, meaning that you can tell he writes a lot of journal articles and the like. The history involved and the theories posited by the characters are well researched and plausible. However, he can get very wordy, which can bog down the story. The book that suffered the most because of this was The Tiger Warrior. It just died out at the end. Why do I keep reading them you ask? I love the history behind them, and having an anthropology/archaeology background myself, I find it very interesting and feel like I learn something from every book.

Also, he uses the word "murmur" in some form so much, that at times I want to throw the book at the wall (luckily I am reading on an iPad so I can keep myself from throwing a $400 piece of electronics at the wall).
            Wow, those look great!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
              I wouldn't say "background", but more of wish I would have done it, as they remain major interests/hobbies of mine.

A - I am a weather freak - wanted to be meteorologist (not the TV weatherman type - the ones who generate and analyze the charts, etc), and love the severe weather aspect of it. I actually did a lot of research/learning on my own.

B - growing up in the Great Lakes area, another big interest of mine is the ships that sail the lakes, and the many storms that have wrecked 1000s of ships - if you are not familiar look up the storm of 1913 and also in 1975 - the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald (ended up a top hit song by Gordon Lightfoot).

I know for the most part, these are rather boring topics, but I have ideas floating in my head that would, at least to me, make a really cool story when you tie in B with the many local native peoples legends, etc.

But as you said re: archaeology, I love stuff like that - to have a captivating read that has some historical fact (no matter how losely based) makes for some awesome reads. Something that could tap into some kind of historical fact, local legend, etc. gives the reader a sense of realism to it. Better than reading some historical reference material, or just an overview of certain events, etc.
              A weather based thriller would be interesting. I read A Perfect Storm way back when, although that's nonfiction. The most recent example of extreme weather in a book that I can remember was a super heated haboob (huge dust storm) which basically cooked the bad guys. They happen in the Middle East I guess but are rare. We get haboobs in Phoenix but not of that variety. I think the book was called The Moses Expedition.

I grew up in Chicago and have fond memories of Lake Michigan and my uncle lived on Lake Huron and we made it up there very year until he passed away. I am familiar with the Edmund Fitzgerald but not the 1913 storm.

I could see a book that uses the extreme weather that the Great Lakes can have along with the Native American artifacts that are found in and around the lakes.

Steve berry has a book that just came out called The King's Deception that uses an obscure tradition from a small English town and the possibility of Queen Elizabeth having actually been a man. Haven't read it yet but it sounds really interesting. If it were true, it changes a lot of English and Irish history. One big one being that all the land grants that Elizabeth gave out in Ireland being void.

Comment

Nice adds.

Comment

Got this today. The String Diaries by Stephen Lloyd Jones.

Comment

This also arrived today but is being passed along to someone else.

Comment

Got this today. The String Diaries by Stephen Lloyd Jones.

Cool cover!

Comment

Hopefully the story is just as good.

Comment

Crap ya beat me, I'm waiting on my copy to come in along with a couple of others. It sounds like a good story!

Comment

Nice additions!

Comment

Came today!!

Comment

It arrived! Go to the bank and get it into a safety deposit box!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X