Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it's about compromise..

HPIM1387.jpg

I wasn’t sure whether to post this under Holy Grail or Latest Purchase. Buying books involves choice and often compromise. Few of us have access to buckets of money, there are clearly exceptions and you lucky bastards and bitches know who you are, the rest of us mere mortals have to make do with, that dread wording, what we can afford…Or what our spouses think we can afford. HAHAHHA!!!! I picked up a copy of Dark Carnival the other day. The Bradbury book I’ve longed for, from afar, for a long, long time. Not the 1947 First edition, I’ll never be able to afford that, but a simply fantastic copy of the Gauntlet Press edition. A worthy compromise I think.
    MDH

I've got that edition too M. and I really like it. Again, it ain't no first, but it is a nice and a special edition.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

A worthy compromise. But it's those seemingly unattainables that keep us going!
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Some day I will attain most of my "unattainable". The only ones I don't think I'll ever get are 1st's of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Also possible firsts of the first 3 Harry Potter books. If only I had actually bought those when they came out, damn things are worth a shit load these days.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I happened upon the Potter books when the third just came out. I think my volume 2 is a 4th or 5th printing, but that's as close as I got.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            Some day I will attain most of my "unattainable". The only ones I don't think I'll ever get are 1st's of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Also possible firsts of the first 3 Harry Potter books. If only I had actually bought those when they came out, damn things are worth a shit load these days.
            See? He's a zombie lumbering blindly toward his "unattainable"!
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              I happened upon the Potter books when the third just came out. I think my volume 2 is a 4th or 5th printing, but that's as close as I got.
              I cam across them when they where first coming out, but I was young and didn't have any money to buy things. So when I read the first 3, I read them as library books. Then when I bought the 4th one I went back and bought the first 3. If I remember correctly a 1st / 1st of the first book is worth about a grand or something ridiculous.
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

That sounds like my history with Stephen King. Was very content with the library for the longest time. Then got a few paperbacks. The Talisman was my first hardback purchase, but no looking back since then.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

It is very true. When i first started collecting books i would go after anything that interested me and then deal with the consequences after. Now i have set goals in mind and very rarely leave them to buy others, even if it is a good deal. I used to have a very good collection of remarques, but realised that i wanted a set of early 1st editions ... i couldn't have both so most of the remarques have gone and i now have the top 7 UK Stephen King 1st's

Comment

Oh and congrats on the copy of Dark Carnival, it looks real nice!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4766[/ATTACH]

I wasn’t sure whether to post this under Holy Grail or Latest Purchase. Buying books involves choice and often compromise. Few of us have access to buckets of money, there are clearly exceptions and you lucky bastards and bitches know who you are, the rest of us mere mortals have to make do with, that dread wording, what we can afford…Or what our spouses think we can afford. HAHAHHA!!!! I picked up a copy of Dark Carnival the other day. The Bradbury book I’ve longed for, from afar, for a long, long time. Not the 1947 First edition, I’ll never be able to afford that, but a simply fantastic copy of the Gauntlet Press edition. A worthy compromise I think.
                      MDH
                      Congrats on adding this book to your collection!
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Way to go Tom !!!!!!!!!!!! The UK 1st editions tend to be forgotten in favour of the US 1sts, but, statistically, the UK editions are far scarcer

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                          Oh and congrats on the copy of Dark Carnival, it looks real nice!
                          Thanks! I really like it!

Comment

Working...
                          X