Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King novel most in need of a signed limited edition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    I don't think it was King's idea to do an IT limited. He doesn't really care for limiteds nor collectors - even boycotted a limited The Shining.
    I think the crediit here goes to CD.

Thanks, CD!

sk
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! There goes hopes for my favorite King book down the toilet. Help! I'm drowning! Mayday! SOS! get me outa he- glub-glub-gurgle-gurgle
    Last edited by srboone; 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! There goes hopes for my favorite King book down the toilet. Help! I'm drowning! Mayday! SOS! get me outa he- glub-glub-gurgle-gurgle
      Really?? That really sours me on King. He should appreciate all the people who read his books and made him a multimillionare.

Comment

I don't think it was King's idea to do an IT limited. He doesn't really care for limiteds nor collectors - even boycotted a limited The Shining.
        I think the crediit here goes to CD.
        Is there somewhere he has said that he doesn't care for limiteds or collectors? I ask because of the large amount of limited editions of his books out there, from the many through Cemetery to the Dark Tower limiteds and more. Perhaps if CD wanted to do a limited of The Shining he'd allow it, lol.
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
          Is there somewhere he has said that he doesn't care for limiteds or collectors? I ask because of the large amount of limited editions of his books out there, from the many through Cemetery to the Dark Tower limiteds and more. Perhaps if CD wanted to do a limited of The Shining he'd allow it, lol.
          Definitely.
          I don't remember where, but whenever limited editions of his books are brought up, King is not enthousiastic. He feels books are for the masses, to be read, not for the elite who carefully store the limiteds away, and are often out for a profit. Centipede Press published an amazing Salem's Lot. When Jerad Walters -who runs/owns(?) CP approached King about a limited The Shining, King refused.

sk

Comment

Definitely.
            I don't remember where, but whenever limited editions of his books are brought up, King is not enthousiastic. He feels books are for the masses, to be read, not for the elite who carefully store the limiteds away, and are often out for a profit. Centipede Press published an amazing Salem's Lot. When Jerad Walters -who runs/owns(?) CP approached King about a limited The Shining, King refused.

sk
            That'd REALLY disappointing

Comment

Definitely.

sk
              He feels limited editions are for the elite? What does he think he is? A poor man living on the streets? What a hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by chantal View Post
                That'd REALLY disappointing
                I'll say. Makes me feels like never wanting to buy anymore things he writes. He hasn't written a decent book in 20 years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  He feels limited editions are for the elite? What does he think he is? A poor man living on the streets? What a hypocrite.
                  I think King meant that some of his limiteds are too highly priced - only a few are able to purchase these books. And many of these do not even open, let alone read, such a limited. Instead, they're out to make a fast buck the eBay way.
                  Can't really blame King for feeling this way. And it is true. Many of these limited books literally never see the light of day and are resold for a ridiculous amount of money. That's what he objects to.
                  I do think King forgets there are many collectors who do read their limiteds and are proud to display them. Like me. And I'm definitely not one of the elite. (which, btw, was my choice of words, not |King's)

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  He hasn't written a decent book in 20 years anyway.
                  Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story and Duma Key are some of the best books King has ever written. I think King's voice is still there, but it has changed over the years. I still love listen to it.

sk
                  Last edited by frik51; 06-10-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I think King meant that some of his limiteds are too highly priced - only a few are able to purchase these books. And many of these do not even open, let alone read, such a limited. Instead, they're out to make a fast buck the eBay way.
                    Can't really blame King for feeling this way. And it is true. Many of these limited books literally never see the light of day and are resold for a ridiculous amount of money. That's what he objects to.
                    I do think King forgets there are many collectors who do read their limiteds and are proud to display them. Like me. And I'm definitely not one of the elite. (which, btw, was my choice of words, not |King's)

Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story and Duma Key are some of the best books King has ever written. I think King's voice is still there, but it has changed over the years. I still love listen to it.

sk
                    Yeah, I think that's exactly what he meant. He said somewhere (don't remember exactly where) that he enjoys well crafted books and beautiful editions, he wants the craft brought back in making a book. (now that I come to think of it this might have been in reference to the Scribner edition of Under the Dome). What I think he doesn't like is people who only use limiteds for profit and don't take the time to appreciate the beauty of a book.

Comment

sk
                      Well, I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I won't be comparing him to Poe anytime soon, that's for sure.

Comment

Didn't some of the leather-bound DT series books go over $10,000 right off the bat? I think I read that somewhere. Either way I know they were very expensive.
                        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                          Didn't some of the leather-bound DT series books go over $10,000 right off the bat? I think I read that somewhere. Either way I know they were very expensive.
                          They have leather bound editions?? All I knew about was the first one that King collector's knew virtually nothing about and that's why the price is so high.
                          I only have the last 3 as limiteds.

Comment

I think they were leather-bound, slipcased, signed and limited to like 1000 of each in the series. I'm not even sure they saw the public. The other limited editions were the standard ones and those hit the public for the last of the books only I think. Don't quote me, but I somewhat remember something like that. So his whole gripe might have been in regard to those.

Comment

No, I have never heard about leather bound Dark Tower books.
                              Donald M. Grant has published these books in various editions, but no leather.

sk

Comment

I'm pretty sure. I've seen something on Ebay, but maybe I am confused. Check out this website, that lists this...

The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass – Hodder and Stoughton 1997 (UK).
                                Number 489 of 500 signed and numbered copies. Signed by King on a fixed bookplate. Issued in standard H&S style with a leather cover and matching slipcase. Mint in Mint slipcase. £295

http://stephenkinglimitededitions.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X