Best Way to Care for your Collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Care for your Collection?

Any tips on keeping your signed/limited editions looking like new? I've noticed a few books in my collection have accumulated a little bit of dust along the edge of their pages and the boards on my copy of The Corpse King appear to be bowed outward ever so slightly. In a perfect world, I'd love to slipcase my entire collection, but since that's not a possibility, how do I go about keeping these books dust free, keep dust jackets without wrinkles and prevent the covers from bowing?
    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

For dust jackets I recommend brodart or gaylord dust jacket covers. They are basically plastic covers that you put the dust jackets in to protect them. http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/. They have a bunch of different sizes and thicknesses so you can choose what you think is best.

Bowing happens most with heavier books. I have noticed a couple I have in which the text block on the bottom is bowed downward and is pulling a way from the spine at the top. To prevent this you either keep them flat or put them in a slipcase if you can find one.

Dusting them regularly will keep them clean but I think they will get dirty no matter what unless you keep them bagged or something.

If you ever notice yellowing of the pages, I don't think that can be reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
      If you ever notice yellowing of the pages, I don't think that can be reversed.
      ...Don't pee on your books!

Comment

I've found that archival plastic bags (like those used for comics) are good at keeping many books in pristine condition.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
          I've found that archival plastic bags (like those used for comics) are good at keeping many books in pristine condition.

John
          Agreed however I don't like the look of that on my shelf. The best way is finding a great enviroment/location for your book case(s). I'm not sure what the best way to remove the dust is. Feather duster works okay but doesn't get it all.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Interested in getting some Brodart Fold On Jacket Covers- which would be the best fit for standard size hardbacks?
            http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Jacket-Covers/

Comment

Originally posted by uturnfilms View Post
              Interested in getting some Brodart Fold On Jacket Covers- which would be the best fit for standard size hardbacks?
              http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Jacket-Covers/
              The ones that I use are completely adjustable, you can get them individually cut or in long sheets that you can cut yourself, practice with an inexpensive used hardback until you really get the hang of it, it's pretty easy once you get used to doing it

Comment

Originally posted by jhanic View Post
                I've bagged my books since I first started collecting back in my teens. The books do stay pristine that way. Though the plastic bags detract from the appearance on the shelf, I'd rather see those than imagine all the dust sitting on all the expensive editions I see in people's posted collection photos!

Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                  ... I'm not sure what the best way to remove the dust is. Feather duster works okay but doesn't get it all.
                  You can try an air duster, this just moves the dust off the book into the air but it minimizes the amount on the book itself. Just blow it off (don't get the nozzle too close to the books) and then use a Swiffer-type duster to collect it from the shelves.

Comment

Hi all,

Pretty much a rookie question here. I use Brodart archival covers, and take care to avoid direct sunlight and keep a generally dim environment anyway (PC gamer).

Question is, is it worth protecting slipcased dust jackets in a low-lit environment? These are currently the only collectible books that I don't have protected, besides traycased, but in the back of my mind I'm worrying about the spine fading despite the low light. Is there a general consensus on this, or to each his own?

Thanks!
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Most of the slipcased books I own wouldn't fit into the slipcase with a plastic cover on them anyway. Same with the traycased books. I don't even consider that. and Ssme of my trade HC books have been in direct sunlight for 30+ years and they haven't faded...yet.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                        Hi all,

Pretty much a rookie question here. I use Brodart archival covers, and take care to avoid direct sunlight and keep a generally dim environment anyway (PC gamer).

Question is, is it worth protecting slipcased dust jackets in a low-lit environment? These are currently the only collectible books that I don't have protected, besides traycased, but in the back of my mind I'm worrying about the spine fading despite the low light. Is there a general consensus on this, or to each his own?

Thanks!
                        As long as it's not a real tight fit I think you'd be ok putting a jacket protector on.

Comment

The jacket protector also does just that--protects the jacket from any unwanted wear, etc.

John

Comment

If you buy the single serving Brodart covers, make sure you buy the extra wide to make sure it covers tne entire width of the dust jacket. Especially wider books like the 25th Anniversary of IT.

Comment

Of course I want to keep my collection looking good. But I refuse to treat my books as if they can only be enjoyed by keeping them in pristine condition. In other words: no Brodart covers, no only handling them while wearing gloves. Instead, I read my books, my limiteds (carefully, mind you) - and it's an absolute joy to open, for instance, a lettered King and actually smell the book, enjoy the touch, the texture of the material. That's what books are made for. Also the limited editions.
                              Especially those!

sk

Comment

Working...
                              X