What Do You Listen to While You Write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You Listen to While You Write?

I have to listen to music during the first draft of any fiction I write.

It really gets my gears turning, if I find the right tunes. For American Inferno (my submission for the contest), I listened to instrumentals: selections from the scores for Signs, The Happening, Inception, and 28 Weeks Later. I love James Newton Howard, in particular. His scores are so evocative and brooding, creating a wonderful sense of place and encroaching dread.

I'm working on an apocalyptic story at the moment, and have been pumping Rage Against the Machine and One Day as a Lion (Zack De La Rocha's post-Rage band) through my headphones, along with the wonderful Nine Inch Nails concept album Year Zero.

So, what do you guys listen to while writing? For your contest entry or otherwise. Or do you not listen to music? Why/why not?
    www.nikhouser.com

I listen to anything from classical, to rap, to blues, to rock, heavy stuff, to crooners, and everything in between. Not a lot of country though, as it never caught for me. I use itunes genius selections and just pic a mood, so to say. Lately I have been on a Cage the Elephant phase, coming off of an 80's trend.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I listen to absolutely nothing. Too distracting; I keep finding myself paying more attention to the lyrics or music than I am to the writing. Same goes for reading. I have to have relative silence in order to give my full attention.
      "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

It's hard for me to listen to anything with lyrics, since I tend to want to sing along. I like instrumental stuff, or music with lyrics in a different language.
        My Website

Comment

Try Joe Satriani

Comment

Comment

All sorts of things, but a few staples would be: WARREN ZEVON, JOHNNY CASH, 16 HORSEPOWER and TOM WAITS.

Comment

Depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm writing a sad or upsetting story I listen to really slow Country music, but if I'm writing a really upbeat story then I have to have upbeat Country music. I keep two separate play lists, one for each mood.
                www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Here's me axe collection. My amp goes one higher, to eleven.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1784524&type=1

Bah, not sure if you can see it.

Comment

I find that if the music has a good melody, and lyrics that flow with it, that lyrics don't distract me. Unless I'm editing. I can't really do any music while I edit.

Comment

Always appreciate a good Spinal Tap reference. :-)

I actually won a Satriani CD back in the 90's during a radio call-in contest. Have it kicking around somewhere.

I forgot, I can also dig some Tool while writing. It really depends with me. I do sometimes work okay with music that has lyrics. Just depends I guess.
                      My Website

Comment

If I want to get in the zone and churn out prose, I always seem to return to Orbital's The Box.

I build playlists for certain characters, too.
                        http://louis-eldest.livejournal.com/

Comment

I can't listen to music when I write. I've tried, but it distracts me.

Comment

I listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. Also love Rick Wakeman and Yes. After first draft I break out my Led Zepplin Discography and treat myself to the best with a glass of Crown on the rocks.
                            Last edited by Randy D. Rubin; 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman nourishes much of my writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X