Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichardThomas
    replied
    Just ran across this. Not sure, site is a bit wonky and these "one-off" anthologies can be a bit weak, but who knows. Could be worth dashing off 1000 words. Pays $20 a story. Thoughts?

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    Some authors use as a tool to refine their writing as well. Same with flash contests.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
    It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!
    I will admit I hadn't seen that bit from Hemingway before. Very poignant for so few words. Thank you for the tips.

Leave a comment:

• RichardThomas
    replied
    Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
    Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.
    It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    Wow. This is great for all of us. Especially the new and lazy ones like me, who really know very little about the market.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
    great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/spe...ssions-wanted/
    Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    Great idea oz! This will be a useful thread! That war anthology looks interesting.

Leave a comment:

• RichardThomas
    replied
    great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/spe...ssions-wanted/

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    replied
    http://www.warofthewordspress.com/we...anthology.html - Open until July 31

Leave a comment:

• ozmosis7
    started a topic Open Markets

Open Markets

Please put the date in the post, so we know when it closes. Also, an other important information.
Working...
X