Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Places to shop dark fiction (horror, fantasy, SF, noir)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I know of at least 1 other publisher outside of CD that could be doing that, which I am sure is one you are likely talking about, not sure who else though. I hope that all of these professional markets are maybe even looking for people who they think could write something they want to publish, even if it isn't the story posted here.
    well that's awesome - can you name them? PM me if you want to keep it private, i'm just curious
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Wow, Richard, that list is way larger than I thought it would be, thanks! I need to hit up the Duotrope site, I've just been using stuff posted on their newsletter.
      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

i've got two columns that might be of help over at my blog, one is one my top markets, which runs the gamut from horror to fantasy/SF to neo-noir to literary as well as presses, so it's pretty large, but it's a good list i think, as well as a column on simultaneous submissions that you all may find interesting - hope it helps

Markets: http://whatdoesnotkillme.com/2009/08/31/simultaneous/
        Submissions: http://whatdoesnotkillme.com/2009/07...s-submissions/

Comment

This is a great thread; thanks for all the market information. I will be checking over all of it. I like it when a recent review of open markets is presented.

I'm new to these boards (via the contest), and probably won't be able to post as much as I would like, but I have two questions that perhaps have already been covered.

I've written a young-adult novel (58000 words) that I was thinking of self-publishing on Amazon. Anyone have experience with CreateSpace?

I'm also trying to submit short screenplays to film students (or more experienced directors). Does anyone know of any good forums for that aspect of the writing field? Thanks.

Comment

Very cool lists! Thank you for putting all of this together Richard. Currently I have about 15 subs out, so I am expecting some rejections, hopefully, accompanied by a few acceptances. We shall see. I have a bunch of stories I need to sub out, but need to take the time to research homes. Its quite the work isn't it? I have about 30-40 stories in total right now that I am juggling LOL.
            Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

@JJ123 - why self publish? have you exhausted all of the traditional means first? i.e., small presses that are open to submissions, and agents? (I use querytracker.net for agents) - not that there's anything WRONG with SP, but IMO you should at least try the traditional means first - i haven't done create space, but i did upload an eStory called "Victimized" that was originally published in Murky Depths, as i wanted the extended version (7000 words vs. 5000) to get out there - i know some people have done well with Lulu and Lightening Source - we should probably start a thread for self-publishing

@ozmosis7 - 30-40 stories? DAMN, you been holding onto those for a bit? that's almost my entire career there - i assume you use Duotrope to keep track of everything?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                @ozmosis7 - 30-40 stories? DAMN, you been holding onto those for a bit? that's almost my entire career there - i assume you use Duotrope to keep track of everything?
                Well, I don't have the day job most people do, so I write a lot. When I started this a year ago I put out a ton of short stories, and I've recently been trying to revive some of them. And yes, I do use Duotrope and a folder system habit that I picked up from 20 years as a graphic designer. Even then it can be confusing because I have a few out there that aren't on Duotrope and don't want to be, or cant be because they are on the hush as of now. On top of all of those stories, I also have about the same number of stories in the works. I am hoping to get caught up and finish bringing all of those to life as well. Then I can focus more on fresh ideas.

Comment

tell me more about this secret "hush" market - are there places i'm missing that aren't on Duotrope? PM me if you want

Comment

LOL, the hush ones are more ideas from the publisher of my book. He has a novella of mine he has been holding onto for a while. But by hush, I meant there was no listed market for it as of yet. It happens to be one of my wife's favorite stories, so I am hopeful for it. I think it has a lot of that old Twilight Zone/One Step Beyond flavor to it. She says it has a Lottery like feel to it.

The others were markets brought up on Library of the Living Dead forums that were reopened, and they wanted to fill them with stories from active members I think, so they never reopened the sub on duotrope. I just happened to have stories that were applicable. Some of the charity ones don't get listed on duotrope either.

So nothing out of the ordinary, just little bits and pieces out there. I've thought about trying my hand at my own anthology or something like that, but have yet to even look at it.

I've also considered trying the agent thing at some point. Interesting to see how you are going about it. Do you still check them on P&E?

Comment

love "The Lottery" and i've been meaning to revisit old Twilight Zone episodes, love to write some stories like that

thanks for the info, oz - some markets slip through the cracks, or aren't on Duotrope - i check agents on Querytracker.net, sometimes I'll hit P&E if i think about it, but usually i go by the comments and all at QT - at this point, i'm basically hitting every freaking agent that reps horror and/or thrillers - i have many queries out, some partials, and a few fulls - even slower and more painful than shopping stories

ChiZine opens up for submissions again July 1st, and i'll be hitting the hard with my novel and a SSC - but they're open to stories right now (Chiaroscuro)

Comment

I've also written and illustrated 3 kids books, but have no idea what to do with them. Small presses won't take them because they cost too much to produce. I've sent them to Dial (of penguin) just as a cold call, but I'm not even sure they take them that way. No idea why I even decided to do such a thing, but the mood struck me and whammo....they're done LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                          I'm also trying to submit short screenplays to film students (or more experienced directors). Does anyone know of any good forums for that aspect of the writing field? Thanks.
                          Check out www.zoetrope.com
                          They've got a number of wings dedicated to film including screenplays.

MLD

Comment

Here is a sample from one of the kid's books. Nothing special, but fun stuff. Sorry for the watermark...old habits are hard to break.

Comment

Great list and interesting piece on simultaneous submissions!
                              http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

thanks mercury - it's a long list, and it includes a wide range of horror, fantasy, SF, noir and literary journals, as well as presses, but at least it's finite! i really have a hard time with presses and magazines that don't allow simultaneous - i mean, if you're a 1% acceptance market AND you take six months, really?...it's going to take me 50 years - but i've also been an editor and hate when people submit only to pull their story a week later, or if they never give us a note saying they withdraw it - i always send out my withdrawal notices, even if that means sending 20 emails - submishmash helps a lot to keep things centralized - hope it helps, mercury

Comment

Working...
                                X