X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Holden
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    I think it'd be a fun exercise if, after the voting is done, those who felt constrained by the character limit finished "Author's Cut" versions of their entries and posted them.
    Looking at my particular story, I'm in two minds about this. Mine came in originally at around 11,500 characters, and I had to rip out an entire character in order to make the count. It peeved me at the time, but the more I look at the story, the more I think the edit worked.

Regardless of the vote, I'm actually quite happy with how Tapestry came out. I've been going through some literary boot camp training this last few months on short stories, and I think it's starting to work.

Leave a comment:

• Antmusic
    replied
    Great idea Dan. As long as everyone who entered gets to vote (as you said) this works quite well!

Leave a comment:

• Beambounder
    replied
    Good Luck to everyone who entered,the Writing contest. Do not forget to vote, it is only fair. The second part of the work,we agreed to. It takes bravery to put any Art out there for judgement. So in one way WE are all winners. I remember my MFA painting reviews where you faced a faculty of at least 13 ,your work on the wall,A written statement in your hands, and there was 25 minutes of Face to Face criticism. It was hell. However it was the most important learning experience of all -to take subjective critics who try to be objective-and not let the slings and arrows kill your spirit ;or the compliments inflate your head." Life is short, the Art long, Decision difficult, Judgement treacherous."( Hippocrates physician Ancient Greece 4th century B.C.) I think. Beambounder

Leave a comment:

• Craig Wallwork
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Just an FYI we're going to change up the final round voting to try and reduce the vote "recruiting". Only active members of the forum will be able to vote on the final round. I haven't decided on a post count restriction though yet. I'll figure that out when we get closer.
    That sounds fair. When it gets to the final 11, regardless of how the previous rounds went, or how people got their votes, it HAS to be about the stories.

Leave a comment:

• Draven Ames
    replied
    Then why not have people have to post their vote. That way you can quickly make a tally mark on a piece of paper. Then it won't be by post count, but only by the people who are in the contest and long-term forum members? Great idea, btw.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Don't worry I will make sure that every contestant is able to vote.

I bet this has been a lot more work then you had anticipated. Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Don't worry I will make sure that every contestant is able to vote.

Leave a comment:

• blasko66
    replied
    Just an FYI we're going to change up the final round voting to try and reduce the vote "recruiting". Only active members of the forum will be able to vote on the final round. I haven't decided on a post count restriction though yet. I'll figure that out when we get closer.
    Wow. I guess I'd better stop lurking then.

Leave a comment:

• Nocdar
    replied
    "Best in category" voting might be better for the final round, with the final decision made by Cemetery Dance staff. On an aside, all this reading makes me feel like a slushie; which, of course, begs another tale of horror...

The Editor Unleashed forum (now defunct due to hackers) held a similar contest. There were over 300 entrants. If I remember correctly, only entrants could vote. And they got three. It was the most honest outcome I've seen for something like this. The lead story is very cool and can be found for free over at Smashwords. It is called Flash Fiction 40.
    Last edited by Nocdar; 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnpeters
    replied
    Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    I think it'd be a fun exercise if, after the voting is done, those who felt constrained by the character limit finished "Author's Cut" versions of their entries and posted them.
    That would be interesting, Nik. My own story was about 2,500 words before cutting. I have to say the initial two revisions, trying to fit this contest, actually made the story stronger. After that it got a bit choppy just trying to make the final cut, so if I get nothing else out of this, my story is stronger (at the 2,200-word range) and hopefully I learned a little more about self-editing.

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    Great idea!

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Great idea!

sk

Leave a comment:

• spernst
    replied
    well, this will be my tenth post : blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah...blah. ok, I'll stop now

Leave a comment:

• C.W. LaSart
    replied
    That would even up the field for sure-in fact, it might even make it so some members of the contest would be unable to vote, since some have not participated in these conversations. I would hope there would be a way to make sure everyone who had entered was guaranteed a vote, but I think it is a good idea regardless.

Leave a comment:

• spernst
    replied
    Hmmm...I'd better get chatty if I want to continue voting then...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X