Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
    And if anybody would like to check out my story because A: you now totally despise me and want to make sure you vote against me no matter what, or B: just wanna check out my story, I'll make it easy on ya. It's in Group 3, and is called American Inferno. Hopefully it's because you just want to read it, along with the other entries.
    hey, I voted for you before even knowing who you are!

You had good advice - practice, practice, practice. I've never submitted a story until now so have no following anywhere. Frankly, I would be embarassed to ask my FB friends to come over b/c most of them aren't readers, let alone horror readers, so they'd make fun of me later on the golf course.
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Ditto for LaSart's comment on building a group of writing friends. Most important (not to mention rare) are the friends who've got the one-two punch of writing knowledge AND will be honest with you about what they thought worked and what didn't in your fiction. And yeah, building a list is really important. Because everybody, no matter how experienced, will see your work with some amount of subjectivity. And what might not work for them might still work for someone else. So yeah, building that list is GOOOOOD. Plus, it could lead to a good publishing connection. By which I mean an editor who wouldn't publish something because they know you, but rather, might fish it out of the slush pile a little more gingerly, and give it a more careful glance. Which can make all the difference sometimes.
      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Speaking of networking, hey Draven, I think you and I are going to be in the same SNM volume! Small world! And RJ, that's awesome, thanks! Hahaha. That totally made my day. By the way folks, I didn't mean to imply that anybody here, writer or not, was using their social network to their advantage simply because they had one.

P.S. I am officially envious of Draven's blog. Really nicely put together, man. Well done.
        www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I agree with all of this. Probably the most difficult thing any writer will come up against is learning how to take harsh criticism the right way. You are never going to please everyone, but you can also take that information and use it to your advantage, in order to become a better writer. Typically, colleagues who criticize your work aren't trying to put you down, but rather help you advance to that next level. It can sting some, but learning to accept that with graciousness will best benefit your future. The crit group I am in is fantastic for that.
          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

boy you all opened a can of worms. I'm going to be bugging you for honest and frank advice as I try to progress in my writing. I'm an Information Technology manager - and throughout my career, many of MY managers say my biggest asset is taking criticism professionally and learning from it. I dont see how anyone aspiring to do anything can take criticism personally - how is one to progress in their trade/craft if no one ever tells them what they're doing WRONG?
            It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Speaking of networking, hey Draven, I think you and I are going to be in the same SNM volume! Small world! And RJ, that's awesome, thanks! Hahaha. That totally made my day. By the way folks, I didn't mean to imply that anybody here, writer or not, was using their social network to their advantage simply because they had one.

P.S. I am officially envious of Draven's blog. Really nicely put together, man. Well done.
              I'm just stoked that you looked me up, Nik. Glad to meet you and yes, my story will be the opening story in that same issue of Bonded by Blood with you. Congratulations on your writing so far.

Comment

I would like to say that I liked all of the entries I've read so far. It's only been about 10 or so (not enough time in the day) but everyone of them has been good.

P.S. Up until the voting started I was reading them in the order they where posted, so you can guess if I've read yours or not
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Absolutely, ozmosis7. I think the problem a lot of writers have is falling in love with their own work, so it's a bit of a crusher when someone offers criticism. I think this is pretty common. I certainly fall prey to that feeling of "oh man, this thing I wrote is so great! I can't wait for so-and-so to read it!" I have to constantly reign that crap in. And the more you do, the better a self-editor you can become, because the more objective you'll be able to see your own work. At least, that's what I strive for, with varying results.
                  www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
                    boy you all opened a can of worms. I'm going to be bugging you for honest and frank advice as I try to progress in my writing. I'm an Information Technology manager - and throughout my career, many of MY managers say my biggest asset is taking criticism professionally and learning from it. I dont see how anyone aspiring to do anything can take criticism personally - how is one to progress in their trade/craft if no one ever tells them what they're doing WRONG?
                    very strong statement. You'll go far, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                      I'm just stoked that you looked me up, Nik. Glad to meet you and yes, my story will be the opening story in that same issue of Bonded by Blood with you. Congratulations on your writing so far.
                      Thanks for the congrats, and ditto! Especially trying to find time to write while raising a kid. Holy moly. I can't even imagine that. Do you even sleep?
                      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post

Agreed. Plus, what they're doing right. It's good encouragement, and can show someone where their strengths are.
                        www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Thanks for the congrats, and ditto! Especially trying to find time to write while raising a kid. Holy moly. I can't even imagine that. Do you even sleep?
                          I sleep as much as my back will allow me. I've got two boys, 10 and 14. The family is very supportive of my writing. It's the only thing to keep me sane. Use it or lose it.

Comment

I love this discussion guys! This is one of the main reasons for this contest. To stir up conversation in "The Writer's Corner" about writing in general.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I'm always up for discussing any of the creative arts. I dabble in them all, but try to focus on writing. Anyone should feel to approach me with anything regarding them. I'm always up for a chat. So feel free to add me to any social network, or link to my blog, etc. I typically hang out on facebook & the forums though.
                              Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I love this discussion guys! This is one of the main reasons for this contest. To stir up conversation in "The Writer's Corner" about writing in general.
                                This is a wonderful tool for networking! Although we are all competing against each other in this contest, we won't always be in direct competition and can benefit from each others friendship and experience.
                                http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X