replied
    Originally posted by Lauren Dixon View Post
    Maybe not today.
    Good deal. Thanks for enabling, Lauren.

Leave a comment:

• Lauren Dixon
    replied
    Originally posted by truantoranje View Post
    *Stows celebratory champagne until the next campaign* Is it too early to break out the tequila?
    Maybe not today.

Leave a comment:

• Lauren Dixon
    replied
    Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your rejection Lauren...

Don't let this put you off though, as I am sure you will get through next time. As Brian said, it might be it just needed a small rewrite or tweak to make the grade.

Keep your head up Lauren and good luck with the writing.
    Thanks, T-Dogz, I appreciate it. Even when I'm down about writing, I can't stop writing. So maybe it's a blessing and a curse?

Leave a comment:

• Lauren Dixon
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    I've also thought of just inviting forum members to submit next time. You've probably all actually read the magazine, right? I would say 90% of the submissions this time were from people who clearly hadn't read a single issue and had no idea what we publish.

Brian
    Yes, I buy it whenever I see it. I should just subscribe because it's hard to find in stores.

Leave a comment:

• Victorya
    replied
    I actually learned about CD in my MFA program, someone mentioned CD as a magazine they respect. This led me to read some issues as I was the main proponent of genre and hadn't read an issue yet.

Leave a comment:

• truantoranje
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    I've also thought of just inviting forum members to submit next time. You've probably all actually read the magazine, right? I would say 90% of the submissions this time were from people who clearly hadn't read a single issue and had no idea what we publish.

Brian
    I was a long-time CD subscriber. Now I pick it up at my local brick-and-mortar (when I can). It was also the first magazine I subbed to way back in January 2000.
    Last edited by truantoranje; 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied

Brian

Leave a comment:

• truantoranje
    replied
    *Stows celebratory champagne until the next campaign* Is it too early to break out the tequila?

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    Originally posted by Lauren Dixon View Post
    Got my form rejection when I woke up.
    Sorry to hear about your rejection Lauren...

Don't let this put you off though, as I am sure you will get through next time. As Brian said, it might be it just needed a small rewrite or tweak to make the grade.

Keep your head up Lauren and good luck with the writing.

Leave a comment:

• Victorya
    replied
    Wow, this thread blew up overnight! (well, my overnight, at least).

Had to check my e-mail, then submittable to double-check, so now I just try to somehow find more fingernails to bite.

Also, definately agree that the attention in the thread has been great.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Wehunt
    replied
    Yes, Brian. You, sir, have done an admirable job along the way.

Leave a comment:

• Lauren Dixon
    replied
    Thanks for this, Brian. I appreciate that you take this time with us to talk about it.

Leave a comment:

• Lauren Dixon
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Wehunt View Post
    Me too. I was honestly surprised that those of us in the final pile also got form rejections.
    Ditto, Michael. I know how busy the staff is, so I totally understand, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. C'est la vie though, right? Shall we pledge to continue writing words that scrape from the concrete below?

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Wehunt View Post
    Me too. I was honestly surprised that those of us in the final pile also got form rejections.
    Reasons these last stories might be rejected:

* Too similar to something else we've already bought.

* Too similar to something else we've read recently.

* Just doesn't quite push us across the line enough for us to say, "Yes! Must. Buy. This!" No specific reason in particular. Could be extremely well-written, but we just don't pull the trigger.

* Although you tackled a trope or cliché with panache, at the end of the day a vampire/zombie/werewolf/serial killer story has to be one of the best in those categories we've read in a long time to make the cut.

In most cases, we have no specific notes to help you improve the story at this stage. If your story could make the cut with a rewrite or a tweak, we're contacting you individually to see if you're interested in discussing our suggestions.

Hope these general notes help!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Michael Wehunt
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X