Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What audio book are you listening to?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    The things we do for love. Uh, Jason.
    I even bought her a copy too! I paid full price dammit.

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Martin View Post
      I have not had trouble getting through it and have generally enjoyed but I must admit the portions about movies bored me at times. The sections on books I am enjoying more. I have one chapter left that I will listen to in the morning. That must be the part about The Stand you mention.

      I am actually not sure if I read Something Wicked or saw the movie. I have fond memories of the story but no recollection of why I know it. I am thinking about reading it to see if I remember it.
      So finished Danse Macabre this morning. When I stopped yesterday he was discussing his attempt at writing a fiction story based on Patty Hearst. When I started up today that quickly morphed into the topic of The Stand. Although I was ambivalent fo the middle of the book. The last few chapters were fantastic and left me feeling very good about the book!

      Also listened to Joe Hill's Dark Carnival and really enjoyed it, one of my top Joe Hill stories! Unfortunately the cover of WIld Horses is not included in the download.

      Comment


        #48
        I'm currently listening to some Lone Ranger otr (old time radio) episodes on a DVD-R which thankfully is playable on my mp3 CD player in my vehicle via an Aux cord. I have episodes 25 left (Not sure without stopping to count). There are 50 episodes on the DVD-R. I knew I'd be getting some episodes I'd already heard, but I didn't mind. This was actually a free purchase since the seller described it as an mp3 cd-It isn't-I learned I could not transfer (Burn) the episodes onto a blank CD-R so I complained to eBay-The seller didn't respond and I got a full refund, around $10. Before this purchase if I wanted to listen to a couple of Lone Ranger otr episodes I'd just go to Comic Book Plus where I have a free account and can download two episodes there totally free and burn onto a blank CD-R.


        Cap
        Last edited by c marvel; 05-06-2018, 12:43 AM.
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by Martin View Post
          So finished Danse Macabre this morning. When I stopped yesterday he was discussing his attempt at writing a fiction story based on Patty Hearst. When I started up today that quickly morphed into the topic of The Stand. Although I was ambivalent fo the middle of the book. The last few chapters were fantastic and left me feeling very good about the book!

          Also listened to Joe Hill's Dark Carnival and really enjoyed it, one of my top Joe Hill stories! Unfortunately the cover of WIld Horses is not included in the download.
          I found that whole Patty Hearst deal very interesting as well.

          Comment


            #50
            Listening to Christine. Probably been 35 years since I read this one. The first thing I will say is that the narrator is perfect for this story. I remember this as being an ok story but I am really loving it now.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Listening to Christine. Probably been 35 years since I read this one. The first thing I will say is that the narrator is perfect for this story. I remember this as being an ok story but I am really loving it now.
              Who's narrating? The narrator makes all the difference to an audiobook. If I don't like the narrator, I usually stop listening and start reading.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Listening to Christine. Probably been 35 years since I read this one. The first thing I will say is that the narrator is perfect for this story. I remember this as being an ok story but I am really loving it now.
                Dark Carousel was a good listen. Finished it up this morning. Christine is another one of my all time favorite King novels.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                  Who's narrating? The narrator makes all the difference to an audiobook. If I don't like the narrator, I usually stop listening and start reading.
                  The narrator is an actor named Holter Graham. Not familiar with him in the least but he is perfect for this book!

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    Dark Carousel was a good listen. Finished it up this morning. Christine is another one of my all time favorite King novels.
                    Really enjoyed Dark Carousel but wished the Wild Horses cover was included in the download. Unless it really drops off in the second half it will be moving up from middle of the pack to near the top with my re-read. I have had re-reads that moved the book up or down in how much I liked them but never this much. I am not sure if my memory is failing about how much I enjoyed it, possibly tainted by the movie. Maybe I like it more now for some reason, like I am further separated from the youth in the book. Maybe having it read to me by a narrator that works so right for the story is the difference. Whatever it is I am sure enjoying this book!

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Yesterday I finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. Really enjoyed this story, what I would consider traditional Horror. Boy Scout Troop and their scout leader go to a small island for a camping trip. Man shows up with mysterious illness and things spin out of control. I had read a lot of good things about the story so my expectations were high and it exceeded them. Finally jumped in and bought it because it was on sale from Audible.

                      My Audible backlog is nearly complete so I am looking for suggestions. especially looking for authors I have not tried before.

                      What should I add to my Audible library?

                      To give some background here are a few of the new authors, and the books from them, that I have been introduced to this year:

                      Nick Cutter - The Troop
                      Robert Galbraith - Cuckoo's Calling (OK, I have read the complete Harry Potter so the author is not new but this is a dramatic departure from that.)
                      Paul Tremblay - A Head Full of Ghosts
                      Ken Greenhall - Hell Hound (Read the book, not audio but really enjoyed it)
                      Josh Malerman - Bird Box

                      I also enjoy non-fiction.

                      Let me know what you liked that I may want to add to my library!
                      Thanks!

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Been working my way through some Matheson short collections and novels. Some are ok, some not. The Box collection was ok I thought. Stir of Echoes is up next.

                        Also finished up Gwendy's Button Box recently and really enjoyed that. I'm a big fan of the actress that read it though.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          Been working my way through some Matheson short collections and novels. Some are ok, some not. The Box collection was ok I thought. Stir of Echoes is up next.

                          Also finished up Gwendy's Button Box recently and really enjoyed that. I'm a big fan of the actress that read it though.
                          I have both read and listened to Gwendy's and enjoyed both times. Stir of Echoes would probably be great on audio, have to consider that as a audio re-read!

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I'm currently in-between audio books, I need to find something though as I don't currently have enough podcasts to keep up with my commute at the moment. I might pick up the audio books for a trilogy I haven't read in probably 14 years. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I remember it being a bit depressing. Could be worth a go though, I remember it being really good, but it's been so long I've lost all the plot details. For anyone who cares, the trilogy is called The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
                            CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                            Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

                            Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              I'm currently in-between audio books, I need to find something though as I don't currently have enough podcasts to keep up with my commute at the moment. I might pick up the audio books for a trilogy I haven't read in probably 14 years. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I remember it being a bit depressing. Could be worth a go though, I remember it being really good, but it's been so long I've lost all the plot details. For anyone who cares, the trilogy is called The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
                              I am not really big on fantasy but I will give the samples a listen and see if I may want to try these out. Thanks for the suggestions.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Currently listening to Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I have read the book but this is the first time listening to it. I am quickly reminded why this is my favorite Joe Hill Novel. Very creepy and enthralling story. One odd part of the audio us that they occasionally insert a pause with a Nine Inch Nails instrumental and then begin the narration again before cutting the music. It is distracting.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X