X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    The Girl on the Third Floor:

When I first saw the trailer for The Girl on the Third Floor I was intrigued, but skeptical. I love me some ghosts and haunted houses and curses from times past destroying the present, so this seemed in my wheelhouse, but I'm also wary of movies starring non-actors like singers or rappers or wrestlers/martial artists. This one starred CM Punk. So I was torn. Well, I decided to plop down and watch this bad boy yesterday and found it to be a mixed bag.

The film centers around a husband and soon-to-be father deciding to renovate an old Victorian-style house in the suburbs in an attempt to mend his marriage which is on the rocks since he just narrowly avoided jail time for embezzlement. Once in the house, things soon begin to slide into familiar haunted house territory with marbles rolling across the floor from nowhere and weird fluids begin dripping out of the walls and electrical sockets. Then the mysterious Sarah shows up to seduce our lead and it's off to the races.

First off, CM Punk isn't that bad. He has some natural charisma that helps, but it's obvious he isn't an actor and that does hurt the film in parts. What also hurts the film is a complete lack of nuance and natural build-up. Our lead is supposed to be battling to overcome his demons and become a good husband and father, but thirty seconds inside the house he's already started drinking when he's promised he'll stop. It also only takes a quick tour around the house and some flirting when he decides to jump in the sack with the lady who just showed up at his house. It's hard to sympathize with a guy whose shown no good redeeming qualities at all. The hero, even if fundamentally flawed, must at least make an effort to be good for his relapses into bad behavior to land with any emotion.

Also, in the land of the unsubtle is the haunting aspect which tends to be of the goopy, oozing variety. The first task our lead has is to get rid of some rot in the wall, but as he digs deeper it goopy black slime. Like I'm no carpenter, but I wouldn't brush that off. Neither would I just wipe away the clear ooze leaking out of an electrical socket and just plug in my electric drill. It's these things that make the viewer question not the character, but the script.

After 45 minutes of what feels like a supernatural Fatal Attraction story, the movie swerves and gives us something a little more interesting in the final half. Unfortunately, the script fails to decide on what is actually going on in the house. Is it demonic temptation or haunted ghosts that need to be laid to rest? I'm unsure. And I'm also unsure as to the ending as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense where these characters end up.

There is some interesting choices here that could have amounted to something, if not original, a little more substantial.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I started in on Sock Monkey's Shudder recommendations last night, and watched TERRIFIED. I'm not quite sure that I understood exactly what was going on, but there sure was enough creepy imagery to make it worth watching. Really well-done stuff. We also watched KNIVES OUT the other night, and while I did really enjoy it, I was expecting more of a whodunnit. In the end, it almost didn't matter who did it,
    Spoiler!
    Great cast and great acting saved this one.
    Glad you found something to enjoy in TERRIFIED. I agree that the narrative thread in the movie isn’t as strong as I’d like, but the set pieces are so solid that I can overlook it a little. A second viewing helped clarify a couple of plot points and it was easier to connect characters.

i was on the same train with KNIVES OUT. I was expecting a classic whodunit. It was quite a bit of fun, though. Ana de Armas did a great job. I really liked her in BLADE RUNNER 2049 as well.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I started in on Sock Monkey's Shudder recommendations last night, and watched TERRIFIED. I'm not quite sure that I understood exactly what was going on, but there sure was enough creepy imagery to make it worth watching. Really well-done stuff. We also watched KNIVES OUT the other night, and while I did really enjoy it, I was expecting more of a whodunnit. In the end, it almost didn't matter who did it,
    Spoiler!
    Great cast and great acting saved this one.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I agree that neither are bad, but neither knocked my socks off. Now I know it’s fashionable to poo-poo on the first SIN CITY, but I still think that movie is great, especially as a translation of Frank Miller’a comic. The first RED is so much fun, plain and simple.

I might need to revisit RED 2. It’s been a while.
    It wasn't bad. Just not as good as the first one.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Looper was definitely good. These are both sequels, but Red 2 wasn't bad and neither was Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Those came out in 2013 and 2014.
    I agree that neither are bad, but neither knocked my socks off. Now I know it’s fashionable to poo-poo on the first SIN CITY, but I still think that movie is great, especially as a translation of Frank Miller’a comic. The first RED is so much fun, plain and simple.

I might need to revisit RED 2. It’s been a while.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-23-2020, 02:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Looper was definitely good. These are both sequels, but Red 2 wasn't bad and neither was Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Those came out in 2013 and 2014.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I just reviewed his film history and didn't realize how many bad movies he has been in.

I’d say LOOPER from 2012. Or RED in 2010. Those are my last two favorite Willis movies, not counting GLASS, which I liked quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    When was the last time Willis made a good movie...? (I'm not counting GLASS, because that was a sequel.) Willis has either burned his mainstream Hollywood bridges, or else he's got the Nicholas Cage "I'll do anything for a buck" syndrome. Seeing Willis in a new movie is as good as a massive
    "DON'T BOTHER WATCHING THIS, 'CAUSE IT'S GONNA SUCK!!!" sign.
    I’d say LOOPER from 2012. Or RED in 2010. Those are my last two favorite Willis movies, not counting GLASS, which I liked quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    When was the last time Willis made a good movie...? (I'm not counting GLASS, because that was a sequel.) Willis has either burned his mainstream Hollywood bridges, or else he's got the Nicholas Cage "I'll do anything for a buck" syndrome. Seeing Willis in a new movie is as good as a massive
    "DON'T BOTHER WATCHING THIS, 'CAUSE IT'S GONNA SUCK!!!" sign.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Extraction starring Bruce Willis.

It's a turd. I would rather be in the bathroom while this is playing.

2 out of 5 just for some interesting scenes but overall a huge waste of time.
    It bums me out that this what Willis is up to these days. I know he’s been in the game forever and probably doesn’t need to work, but I really miss Willis when he’s fully engaged. He’s truly a lot better actor than people give him credit for.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Extraction starring Bruce Willis.

It's a turd. I would rather be in the bathroom while this is playing.

2 out of 5 just for some interesting scenes but overall a huge waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• James Newman
    replied
    TIGERS ARE NOT AFRAID feels like the distant cousin of Del Toro's earlier films (CRONOS, DEVIL'S BACKBONE).
    Sold.

Leave a comment:

• James Newman
    replied

James!! How've ya been, man? Long time no see!
    Dude! Good to "see" you! It has been a loooong time.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Yeah, they are no longer streaming part one, or the FRIGHT NIGHT doc that they used to have. Strange that they kept part tow, but I'd better finish watching it before that vanishes, too.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Aside from OLDBOY, which I'm due to rewatch, I haven't seen any of these. Thanks for the recs...I'll add these to the watchlist.

I watched LEVIATHAN last night. Kind of. I was really excited to watch it, then I noticed that it was PART TWO...and, of course, they are no longer streaming part one. No one is. So I started to watch it, and then my nightly four hours of sleep came back to haunt me, with a vengeance, and I was struck my such overwhelming tiredness that I could barely get up to go to bed. Made it about 45 minutes, but did like what I saw. I'll try to get back to it later in the week. Now that I'm back to my pre-Covid full-time hours at work, I'll probably end up keeping Shudder for another month, so I can work my way through your suggestions. I'm enjoying going out into the sunroom at night and watching a Horror movie with the windows open and the crickets chirping and the owls hooting....Very peaceful and relaxing, and my wife gets to watch her chick movies in peace, lol.
    I wonder why they stopped streaming Part One of LEVIATHAN? They had it previously, because I worked my way through both parts and combined it's a pretty exhaustive look at the first two Hellraiser movies. Quite a bummer, actually.

I hope you wind up enjoying a couple of the suggestions. Let me know your thoughts, even if you hate them!

I also am due for an OLDBOY rewatch. I'm waiting for the next Arrow UK sale so I can pick up their Blu-ray boxset of OLDBOY, SYMPATHY OF MR. VENGEANCE, and LADY VENGEANCE.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 06-16-2020, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X