No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to Ender's Game last night. For those of you that are fans of science fiction, the movie was a real treat. I'd give it 9/10.

If you haven't read the book, you'll probably like the movie if your a fan of science fiction. I am reluctant to compare it to Prometheus and Pacific Rim, but those are the sorts of recent movies that Ender's Game reminded me of.

If you have read the book, you'll probably like the movie. I expected to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised, and I found myself grinning like an idiot through half the film. The movie needed to be twenty minutes longer: they cut out way too much material from Battle School, but otherwise, it was great.

The hacting was good, the directing was fast paced but acceptable, and the special effects were spot on. Also, I loved the film score.

Highly recommend.

Comment

Just watched Survival of the Dead for the first time. I think I would agree with most people and say it was my least favourite of Romero's zombie movies. That's said it's only my first viewing and often my opinions change on his flicks over time. It's still quite an enjoyable movie. It has more of a focus on humour than the rest of his Dead movies, for better or worse. The story is actually pretty interesting; two families living on an island are at war with each other over whether the dead should be exterminated or not. My only complaint was lack of practical FX or a real zombie feast scene. There was a bit right at the end, but it is a very short sequence. It was really cool to actually see a reoccurring character in one of Romero's zombie flicks though. The tie-in with Diary of the Dead worked very well, while still leaving this movie all the needed space to be its own entity. While, like I said, maybe not as good as the rest of Romero's zombie fare, it's still better than most newer zombie films.

Comment

Not gonna rate it, but saw the new Thor this weekend. It was pretty good, but like Iron Man 3 left you wondering why they didn't call in the rest of the Avengers. Overall a solid Marvel superhero movie.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I had free tickets to the premier, but had to work. I hope to catch it sometime though.

Comment

Originally posted by coderedx View Post
            I went to Ender's Game last night. For those of you that are fans of science fiction, the movie was a real treat. I'd give it 9/10.

If you haven't read the book, you'll probably like the movie if your a fan of science fiction. I am reluctant to compare it to Prometheus and Pacific Rim, but those are the sorts of recent movies that Ender's Game reminded me of.

If you have read the book, you'll probably like the movie. I expected to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised, and I found myself grinning like an idiot through half the film. The movie needed to be twenty minutes longer: they cut out way too much material from Battle School, but otherwise, it was great.

The hacting was good, the directing was fast paced but acceptable, and the special effects were spot on. Also, I loved the film score.

Highly recommend.
            I have not read Ender's Game (yet), and not sure if I will see the movie at theatre or not. It's one I think I can wait on.

I haven't watched Pacific Rim - I heard it's not very good - basically a modern day Godzilla type (or Johnny Socko is maybe more appropriate?) movie - Japanese type giant robots fighting a giant monster. Good fx but beyond that...... I don't think I will go out of my way to see this.

re: Prometheus - This movie (imo) was very good - surprised it didn't stay in theatre longer than it did. Seen in a few times already. Then again - this is more my kind of sci-fi. Prometheus had a more "this could actually happen" feel to it. Had an almost Arthur C Clarke feel to it.

Comment

The Skin I Live In: This Spanish thriller works best when you know as little about it as possible, so to discuss the plot at all would verge on spoiler territory. Suffice it to say that I thought this movie was very messed up and twisted. Definitely not for everyone. I also felt that the ending couldn't live up to what came before, but to top the previous 95% would've been a tough feat for anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                The Skin I Live In: This Spanish thriller works best when you know as little about it as possible, so to discuss the plot at all would verge on spoiler territory. Suffice it to say that I thought this movie was very messed up and twisted. Definitely not for everyone. I also felt that the ending couldn't live up to what came before, but to top the previous 95% would've been a tough feat for anybody.
                That's been on my to watch list for a while.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                  That's been on my to watch list for a while.
                  If and when you do watch it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. It's one of those movies that begs to be discussed.

Comment

Most Almodavar movies do beg discussion.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Would You Rather: Brittany Snow stars as a young woman whose parents are dead and is drowning in the debt that her parents left behind and a brother who needs a bone marrow transplant. She is offered the opportunity to attend a dinner that will have a contest at the end and the lucky winner will be set for life. The person giving the dinner is Jeffrey Combs so you know things are going to go bad. Unfortunately, this movie never really takes off. The scenes at the dinner are interesting and when the "contest" starts it really amps up, but it seems that the writer didn't know what to do with the movie besides the central premise. The characters beside Snow and Sasha Grey are fairly cardboard and no time is given to really flesh them out in any significant manner. A couple of twists and turns are thrown in for good measure, but one I saw coming from the get-go so once it happened I was glad it was over so the movie could focus on something else. The ending also fell flat for me. There is a good idea at the core, but any of the moral implications are only dealt with on the surface level. With a script that was focused more on character development, this could have been solid. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

On the positive note, I only paid a dollar for the DVD at a Blockbuster that was closing down, so at least it was a good deal. Grade: D

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                        I haven't watched Pacific Rim - I heard it's not very good - basically a modern day Godzilla type (or Johnny Socko is maybe more appropriate?) movie - Japanese type giant robots fighting a giant monster. Good fx but beyond that...... I don't think I will go out of my way to see this.
                        You heard wrong: Pacific Rim is a terriffic movie. It's the perfect summer blockbuster: lots of spectacular action, interesting characters - and a story full of emotion and heart.
                        There just has to be a sequel!

sk

Comment

Agreed, Siep! I had a lot of fun at the movie.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I'm with you guys I liked it quite a bit!

Comment

Not many new movies looked very interesting. Except:

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: All the world's a mobile film lot, and all the men and women merely extras, most waiting for their 15 minutes of fame (I say "most" because there are a few faces that are blurred out, obviosly those who did not want to be involved with the whole affair). That's probably the most insightful thing that can be said for this raunchy, gross out comedy that manages to be as endearing as it is reprehensible. Johnny Knoxville plays Irving Zisman, and 86 year-old widower who reluctantly agrees to take his grandson cross country to drop him off with his real father. Along the way, Zisman uses his grandson to behave badly, mostly in his pursuit of young women. It's a hidden camera road movie designed to capture the real reactions of real people to decidedly unreal situations. Knoxville displays the talent and the charm of the leading man almost effortlessly (though he lacks the finesse and timing of the best comedians) and the cherub-faced Jackson Nicoll as young Billy holds his own against Knoxville, out-shining him in most instances. But what really makes this movie special the realtionship that develops between Knoxville and Nicoll. Nothing here is unpredictable, but the addition of screenwriter Spike Jones turns an average comedy into an unpolished gem.

And, of course, there's the ruination of Warrant's "Cherry Pie." At least all of the funny bits weren't used in the trailer.

3.5/5
                              Last edited by srboone; 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: My wife is a huge fan of the books and loved the first movie, so going to see this one was a no-brainer. I had thought the first movie was quite good, but this one blows it out of the water. As in most sequels, everything has to be bigger and better: the action quicker, the violence more intense, the special effects more spectacular, and all of those are true for this movie. What sets it apart is the emotion is deeper and the themes it begins to tackle are more mature. Not to mention a few moments of comic relief. Jennifer Lawrence continues to shine in the role that made her famous and Woody Harrelson in anything is a good thing, though the scene stealer is Jenna Malone who plays the outspoken, bitter goth counterpoint to Lawrence's Katniss.

One of the few sequels in movie history that will go down as being as good if not superior to the first. Grade: A-

Comment

Working...
                                X