No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not big into superhero movies myself, not really sure why, just not my thing. Although some of the Spiderman ones are pretty good - I will likely watch it when it comes on satellite though.

Comment

Since I haven't gotten my computer fixed or replaced yet, a week's vacationfrom work means a week away from the internet (unless I stop in at night, like tonight).

The Wolverine: Solid comic book/actioner with Jackman very good as usual. Benefits greatly from being a more intimate look at the character and removing it to the isle of Japan. Has the requisite silly action sequence in the middle of the film and falls back into standard comic book mode for it's finale, but most of the way, it's top-notch.

3.5/5
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

V.H.S. Hated it

Its a found footage within a found footage movie. They took shaky film footage and manipulated it with static inserts and other effects until it was practically unwatchable. Four or five shorts of which only the first one was any good.
        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

Originally posted by paperdragon View Post
          V.H.S. Hated it

Its a found footage within a found footage movie. They took shaky film footage and manipulated it with static inserts and other effects until it was practically unwatchable. Four or five shorts of which only the first one was any good.
          I liked the first segment a lot, wish the others had been as good, the sequel is even worse but the next to the last segment in it is worth watching, very freaky, the rest not so much

Comment

Elysium: What should have been a fun-filled sci-fi romp has, instead, the miscast dour-faced Damon as an ex-con trying to bring down the 1% who live on a spacestaion with all the benefits of life. It's ideas are stretched thin and the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense (which is where the whole "romp" thing would make up for these short comings). Still it has impressive production design and enough action to make it watchable. But a big disappointment (especially after director Blomkamp's 2009 District 9).

6/10 (and I'm being generous).
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Going to see this (Elysium) tonight. I don't have high expectations for it.

Comment

Had a lot of movies to chose from this weekend, but I decided to see:

Rifftrax Live: Starship Troopers: Now I remember seeing this movie in theaters back in '93, and I remember liking it. It has it's Heinlein purist detractors, but it's basically a good movie (if you get around Denise Richards as the best pilot in Earth's starfleet and Neil Patrick Harris as the top Military Intelligence personnel--but it's all in good fun) and the movie still holds up today, even though the computer graphics do look aged. So I was puzzled when Rifftrax (the nuts behind MST3K, now camped out in Nashville, TN) decided to riff it. But they proved to me that any film is worth laughing at. I've also never seen these guys take on a movie with any large amount of nudity before, which had me intrigued (and they handled it quite well). Given the choices I had this week, I feel I actually got my money's worth!

Favorite riff: (when NPH approaches Dina Meyer at the graduation dance) Let me show you how to Doogie!

5/5

Next up: Rifftrax Live takes on The Night of the Living Dead on October 24!
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                  Had a lot of movies to chose from this weekend, but I decided to see:

Rifftrax Live: Starship Troopers: Now I remember seeing this movie in theaters back in '93, and I remember liking it. It has it's Heinlein purist detractors, but it's basically a good movie (if you get around Denise Richards as the best pilot in Earth's starfleet and Neil Patrick Harris as the top Military Intelligence personnel--but it's all in good fun) and the movie still holds up today, even though the computer graphics do look aged. So I was puzzled when Rifftrax (the nuts behind MST3K, now camped out in Nashville, TN) decided to riff it. But they proved to me that any film is worth laughing at. I've also never seen these guys take on a movie with any large amount of nudity before, which had me intrigued (and they handled it quite well). Given the choices I had this week, I feel I actually got my money's worth!

Favorite riff: (when NPH approaches Dina Meyer at the graduation dance) Let me show you how to Doogie!

5/5

Next up: Rifftrax Live takes on The Night of the Living Dead on October 24!
                  HAHA! I was there too and loved it, I am such a mst3k/rifftrax fan that after seeing ST I came home and watched two episodes of mst3k, I will definitely be there for NotLD in October

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who spends money on these things! I try not to miss any Rifftrax events. If anybody wishes they had gone, it will be back in theaters on 24 Sept (which is another date I feel I should have marked on my calendar, but don't...)
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      Glad I'm not the only one who spends money on these things! I try not to miss any Rifftrax events. If anybody wishes they had gone, it will be back in theaters on 24 Sept (which is another date I feel I should have marked on my calendar, but don't...)
                      I think it's Sept. 12th cause I remember them saying it and being like hey that's the day before my birthday just fyi

Edit: Just checked and it is Sept. 12th

Comment

Recently stumbled across "Garage Days", a movie about a "band" in Australia. It wasn't so much about music as it was the kooky relationships between people. Very good. 4.5/5

Comment

This is an interesting time of the year for movies. Now that the kiddies are back in school we get a mixed bag of movies. On one hand, we get a bunch of crap that the studios execs thought TOO dumb for summer audiences; on the other hand, we get some adult entertainments that just aren't for the summertime crowds, nor are they Oscar-bait, like:

You're Next: Now when I first saw a teaser for this indie horror film, I thought that the title was in the running for the worst of the year; and if the title sucks, how good can the movie be? Well, I've been wrong before. Turns out that this is a slick home invasion horror film with incredibly brutal violence and a very sick sense of humor. There's nothing new here, but it is extremely well-written and imaginatively directed...and it's funny. Granted, it's a slasher film; but a very self-aware one. Which makes is a spoof. I think. Either way, I left the theater feeling exhilerated and no slasher film since Scream has done that for me.

Not for the feint-of-heart (and definitely not for the young'uns).

4.5/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 08-25-2013, 03:31 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Watched Now You See Me last night on ppv. Pretty good cast, neat story line. Has a mix of magic, mystery, and crime all mixed into one. This movie I had to watch twice once I saw the ending the first time around.

Nothing overly great about it, but it wasn't terrible either.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              Watched Now You See Me last night on ppv. Pretty good cast, neat story line. Has a mix of magic, mystery, and crime all mixed into one. This movie I had to watch twice once I saw the ending the first time around.

Nothing overly great about it, but it wasn't terrible either.
                              Just picked this up last night on DVD. Haven't watched it yet, but I've heard the same thing about the movie as you've posted: that it's just okay. I'll watch anything with Morgan Freeman or Michael Caine so this was a given for me. I have to finish watching The Walking Dead.Season 3 before I get to it though.

Comment

I too love Morgan Freeman - he plays a good role in the movie. I don't want to spoil it for you, so I won't go into details. The other actors play their roles well. It is a little over the top at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X