Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I watched 7500 on some free app this weekend. This was an action/thriller regarding an attempted plane hijacking. Intense, brutal, and done very well. Tied my stomach into knots at several moments and I really reacted to the film. 4 out of 5 stars.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Very cool. Hope you had a great time.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    In the midst of Day 3 of four at Fantastic Fest and just finished watching Saw X. If you’re a Saw fan then you’ll probably lije this one. I’ll post a more detailed review after the festival and my vacation wraps up.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    In the midst of Day 3 of four at Fantastic Fest and just finished watching Saw X. If you’re a Saw fan then you’ll probably lije this one. I’ll post a more detailed review after the festival and my vacation wraps up.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Saw The Last Voyage of the Demeter the other night.

I thought The Last Voyage was pretty good.

The Last Voyage expands on the story from the original Dracula novel of the Demeter, a Russian frigate that landed on the shores of Whitby, England, crewless, other than the dead captain, who was found lashed to the wheel.

The effects were good, the acting for the most part was good, though the story line of the female character felt forced.

The Dracula character in LV was portrayed as much more animalistic / creature-like than Dracula is usually portrayed, though I have to say it worked for this movie.

Not a great movie, but not a bad way to spend two hours either, especially for fans of the source material.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Saw Oppenheimer a few weeks ago.

Great movie, especially for anyone interested in WW II history.

Christopher Nolan proves again that he is one of the best directors of our time with a three hour dialogue driven historical biop that never was boring.

Need to see it again, as I spent too much time trying to digest a previous scene and not paying full attention to the scene that was currently on screen.

Needless to say, but my WW II history knowledge is on the low side!

B

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I thought I saw it commented on here but I can't find the post. Anywho...Watched HellHole on Netflix. I would give this one a solid 4 out of 5. Nothing groundbreaking here but, IMO, this one was well done. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by JJ123 View Post

Have you seen Destiny yet? I have not, and really want to...alas, I am one of those individuals who is still nervous about the SARS virus. And I don't have the cash to rent out an entire theater auditorium, even if the exhibitors are still doing that. Still, I may muster up the courage to see it in August when I assume hardly anyone will be seeing it (of course, it'll move to a smaller auditorium with less screening times, which will maximize the crowd; I may not be able to win this, but I so much wanted to see the last one in the theater).

Raiders truly impacted me when I first saw it as a youth. Definitely more than Star Wars (Empire Strikes Back was about the equal of Raiders, I remember liking that one way more intensely than Wars; it was the Hoth sequence with the probot and the AT-ATs that really powered my imagination). I think the velocity of the film was part of it, but one thing that stands out was the prologue...that was just an incredible short film in itself, back then and today. So many cool moving images...when he gets handed the pieces of the map and then has to bulllwhip the gun out of that villain's hand, brushing the spiders off with casual ease, putting his hand up in the light (that continues to confuse me), having to imitate the weight of the idol (didn't understand what that meant at the time, why he was putting a bag of sand on the platform), the rolling boulder...like you say, practical effects are great.

I think Marion too was probably underrated at the time, but the only scene that might be a bit off for me is the drinking contest...it captures the character perfectly and thus serves as an efficient introduction, but it is a little plot-slowing. It is a great movie, I probably don't feel exactly like I did when I first watched it (for some reason, Crusade holds up slightly better), but I too have to rewatch this, haven't in a while (one scene that always holds up: the opening of the Ark). I agree, by the way, on the nomenclature...never understood it, to be honest. I guess there could be statistical-spreadsheet proof that it improves sales to do that, and if it does, hey, then I get it...but, I don't like it, and find it hard to believe (but I could be wrong, I don't have the data).

Out of curiosity, did you watch it on a service (I think Paramount+ has it right now?) or VHS, DVD, Blu-ray?
    I have not seen Destiny yet and will probably wait until it comes out Bluray. I'm not a huge fan of movie theaters, mostly because, well, audiences have becoming more and more inconsiderate. In my opinion, if movie theaters want to increase attendance, they need to stop focusing on things like reclining seats and whatnot and focus on eliminating rude and distracting behavior by movie-goers.

As for Raiders, I watched it on Disney+. I'm typically a physical media guy, but it was just a lazy weekend and the wife and I were scrolling.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    Decided to rewatch Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day. (And, yes, it will always in my mind be sans the newly added "Indiana Jones and the..." prefix. Just like Star Wars will always just be Star Wars to me and not Episode IV: A New Hope. At least that one I understand a little. It does help clarify what one is talking about.) Anyways, I hadn't seen the film in probably twenty-plus years and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. As a kid I always thought the movie was longer than it actually was and I still got that feeling watching it this time. It's just under two hours yet it feels much longer. I also enjoyed Karen Allen's Marion a lot more than I remembered. For some reason, I never found her appealing when I had watched it in my youth, but now I really enjoyed what her dynamic with Ford's Indy brought to the movie. Yes, the special effects are dated, but, dear lord, I miss practical effects. And the movie is so much more violent than expected for a PG film. Of course this was three years before the creation of the PG-13 rating and it's not like it's something I normally get stuck on, but I was surprised with just how many rather bloody deaths there in the film. Overall, such a fun film.

We plan on going through the rest of the series, which should be fun since I don't think I've ever seen Temple of Doom all the way through. I have seen Last Crusade a bunch of times and remember it fondly. Never caught Crystal Skull and, from what I hear, I'm not missing too much. Nevertheless, we'll plow our way through the rest of them and see where the chips fall.
    Have you seen Destiny yet? I have not, and really want to...alas, I am one of those individuals who is still nervous about the SARS virus. And I don't have the cash to rent out an entire theater auditorium, even if the exhibitors are still doing that. Still, I may muster up the courage to see it in August when I assume hardly anyone will be seeing it (of course, it'll move to a smaller auditorium with less screening times, which will maximize the crowd; I may not be able to win this, but I so much wanted to see the last one in the theater).

Raiders truly impacted me when I first saw it as a youth. Definitely more than Star Wars (Empire Strikes Back was about the equal of Raiders, I remember liking that one way more intensely than Wars; it was the Hoth sequence with the probot and the AT-ATs that really powered my imagination). I think the velocity of the film was part of it, but one thing that stands out was the prologue...that was just an incredible short film in itself, back then and today. So many cool moving images...when he gets handed the pieces of the map and then has to bulllwhip the gun out of that villain's hand, brushing the spiders off with casual ease, putting his hand up in the light (that continues to confuse me), having to imitate the weight of the idol (didn't understand what that meant at the time, why he was putting a bag of sand on the platform), the rolling boulder...like you say, practical effects are great.

I think Marion too was probably underrated at the time, but the only scene that might be a bit off for me is the drinking contest...it captures the character perfectly and thus serves as an efficient introduction, but it is a little plot-slowing. It is a great movie, I probably don't feel exactly like I did when I first watched it (for some reason, Crusade holds up slightly better), but I too have to rewatch this, haven't in a while (one scene that always holds up: the opening of the Ark). I agree, by the way, on the nomenclature...never understood it, to be honest. I guess there could be statistical-spreadsheet proof that it improves sales to do that, and if it does, hey, then I get it...but, I don't like it, and find it hard to believe (but I could be wrong, I don't have the data).

Out of curiosity, did you watch it on a service (I think Paramount+ has it right now?) or VHS, DVD, Blu-ray?

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Decided to rewatch Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day. (And, yes, it will always in my mind be sans the newly added "Indiana Jones and the..." prefix. Just like Star Wars will always just be Star Wars to me and not Episode IV: A New Hope. At least that one I understand a little. It does help clarify what one is talking about.) Anyways, I hadn't seen the film in probably twenty-plus years and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. As a kid I always thought the movie was longer than it actually was and I still got that feeling watching it this time. It's just under two hours yet it feels much longer. I also enjoyed Karen Allen's Marion a lot more than I remembered. For some reason, I never found her appealing when I had watched it in my youth, but now I really enjoyed what her dynamic with Ford's Indy brought to the movie. Yes, the special effects are dated, but, dear lord, I miss practical effects. And the movie is so much more violent than expected for a PG film. Of course this was three years before the creation of the PG-13 rating and it's not like it's something I normally get stuck on, but I was surprised with just how many rather bloody deaths there in the film. Overall, such a fun film.

We plan on going through the rest of the series, which should be fun since I don't think I've ever seen Temple of Doom all the way through. I have seen Last Crusade a bunch of times and remember it fondly. Never caught Crystal Skull and, from what I hear, I'm not missing too much. Nevertheless, we'll plow our way through the rest of them and see where the chips fall.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    Originally posted by neconman View Post
    I believe the horror movie with the barn fire is The Other which is based on the book written by Tom Tyron.
    Thank you, I checked out the info on that, and you appear to be correct. Very much appreciate it...

Leave a comment:

• neconman
    replied
    I believe the horror movie with the barn fire is The Other which is based on the book written by Tom Tyron.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied

Sounds like the first move you're looking for might be Dead Silence from 1991: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101674/?ref_=tt_urv
    That's it!  Thank you very much, trying to find it bugged me from time to time when I would think about it. I suppose the title isn't an informative one (I presume one of the characters may have said at one point something like, there must be dead silence on what we did), and that may have impacted my efforts. Anyway, thanks again... 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    I've recently watched, and enjoyed, two films from the 1970s...always fun to delve into that particular film-stock era. For the first time, I watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges, and The Long Good-Bye with Elliot Gould. Enjoyed both of them; the former perhaps a bit more, as Good-Bye, while extremely cool and entertaining (I liked it a lot, and as always, Gould tends to deliver, whether hosting an old Saturday Night episode or what have you - you've got to love that Star Trek sketch), was actually a different, almost weird film in some ways (forgive me, too tired tonight to write a whole essay about that aspect; those who have seen it will perhaps know what I mean; and besides, I have a bit of other writing now to do).

Now, I wanted to see if anyone could help me identify a few films that have popped into my mind recently.

The first I'm thinking of was, I believe, perhaps a television movie, and for some reason I think it was on the Fox Network in the early 1990s. The basic gist is this: it's sort-of like the I Know What You Did Last Summer set-up: a car drives over a homeless person in Las Vegas (I have no idea if that is right; trust none of these details, although they are all I have to go on) and the driver wants to report it, but her friend, who wants to go to law school, begs her not to, and to convince her, says it will ruin her hope to become an on-air broadcast reporter. The driver relents, although is guilty about it throughout. The law-student concocts a scheme to bury the guy and cover everything up. I remember one scene in particular where she needs to get the receipt and paperwork from the body shop that is replacing the windshield, because I guess as a law student she realized that something like that would have to be reported to the police. You know what happens next...the police find the body and things start to close in on the friends in the car. I think the driver eventually did become an on-air reporter and actually had to cover the revelation of the body. At the end, and I have to say, this ending got me so aggravated, because the law student I think did become a lawyer, and when things started really getting tight around them, was able to negotiate an immunity deal with the prosecutor's office...she told her friend something like "they just want the driver," with a pained expression meant to show empathy but just made her look like a conniving jerk. For some reason, I thought an actress from the series Eight is Enough was in this, thought she was the lawyer-jerk, but it does not seem to be on her IMDB page. Anyway...anyone else see this obscure entry?

The next one I only recall as a commercial, I never saw it. All I can recall is, it seemed to be a kids' film, Disney-like, live-action, although probably not from Disney...just the sort-of fast-paced, cartoonish type of movie that probably didn't do much at the box office and most people would see via rented VHS tape in a clamshell from a mom/pop store (remember those days?). Here's all I remember: I think a kid had a large spider in a jar and placed it on another kid's chest while the latter was lying in bed. I assume to freak the kid out. That's it, that's all I recall. I think it was a comedy, not horror or anything like that. If you can say what this one is, assuming this is not a phantom memory on my part, you win some sort of prize, whatever that would be.

The last one is indeed horror, and I never saw it all. It came on one evening many, many years ago, on the local independent UHF broadcast station, and I came in the middle of it. It had something to do with twins, and I am not sure if it was supernatural or not, or if what was happening was all a ruse. All I can say is some older woman in it tells one of the twins that he needs to play the game. Just play the game, for some reason. And I think at the end, there was a barn, and something to do with wine barrels, and maybe a fire. Maybe one of the twins did it but he faked his death or something, and that had something to do with the game. That's about all I recall.

Okay, anyway, those are the clues. Not a big deal if I never get the names, really more curious than anything else. (And I don't think I could watch that first one again anyway...what a jerk that girl was at the end!) (I should also mention that sometimes I get a deja-vu feeling on discussion boards, since I bounce around between a few of them...I hope I have not posted this query before, feels as if I have, and if I have, then my apologies for repeating myself...am getting older, I have to say)
    Sounds like the first move you're looking for might be Dead Silence from 1991: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101674/?ref_=tt_urv

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    I've recently watched, and enjoyed, two films from the 1970s...always fun to delve into that particular film-stock era. For the first time, I watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges, and The Long Good-Bye with Elliot Gould. Enjoyed both of them; the former perhaps a bit more, as Good-Bye, while extremely cool and entertaining (I liked it a lot, and as always, Gould tends to deliver, whether hosting an old Saturday Night episode or what have you - you've got to love that Star Trek sketch), was actually a different, almost weird film in some ways (forgive me, too tired tonight to write a whole essay about that aspect; those who have seen it will perhaps know what I mean; and besides, I have a bit of other writing now to do).

Now, I wanted to see if anyone could help me identify a few films that have popped into my mind recently.

The first I'm thinking of was, I believe, perhaps a television movie, and for some reason I think it was on the Fox Network in the early 1990s. The basic gist is this: it's sort-of like the I Know What You Did Last Summer set-up: a car drives over a homeless person in Las Vegas (I have no idea if that is right; trust none of these details, although they are all I have to go on) and the driver wants to report it, but her friend, who wants to go to law school, begs her not to, and to convince her, says it will ruin her hope to become an on-air broadcast reporter. The driver relents, although is guilty about it throughout. The law-student concocts a scheme to bury the guy and cover everything up. I remember one scene in particular where she needs to get the receipt and paperwork from the body shop that is replacing the windshield, because I guess as a law student she realized that something like that would have to be reported to the police. You know what happens next...the police find the body and things start to close in on the friends in the car. I think the driver eventually did become an on-air reporter and actually had to cover the revelation of the body. At the end, and I have to say, this ending got me so aggravated, because the law student I think did become a lawyer, and when things started really getting tight around them, was able to negotiate an immunity deal with the prosecutor's office...she told her friend something like "they just want the driver," with a pained expression meant to show empathy but just made her look like a conniving jerk. For some reason, I thought an actress from the series Eight is Enough was in this, thought she was the lawyer-jerk, but it does not seem to be on her IMDB page. Anyway...anyone else see this obscure entry?

The next one I only recall as a commercial, I never saw it. All I can recall is, it seemed to be a kids' film, Disney-like, live-action, although probably not from Disney...just the sort-of fast-paced, cartoonish type of movie that probably didn't do much at the box office and most people would see via rented VHS tape in a clamshell from a mom/pop store (remember those days?). Here's all I remember: I think a kid had a large spider in a jar and placed it on another kid's chest while the latter was lying in bed. I assume to freak the kid out. That's it, that's all I recall. I think it was a comedy, not horror or anything like that. If you can say what this one is, assuming this is not a phantom memory on my part, you win some sort of prize, whatever that would be.

The last one is indeed horror, and I never saw it all. It came on one evening many, many years ago, on the local independent UHF broadcast station, and I came in the middle of it. It had something to do with twins, and I am not sure if it was supernatural or not, or if what was happening was all a ruse. All I can say is some older woman in it tells one of the twins that he needs to play the game. Just play the game, for some reason. And I think at the end, there was a barn, and something to do with wine barrels, and maybe a fire. Maybe one of the twins did it but he faked his death or something, and that had something to do with the game. That's about all I recall.

Okay, anyway, those are the clues. Not a big deal if I never get the names, really more curious than anything else. (And I don't think I could watch that first one again anyway...what a jerk that girl was at the end!) (I should also mention that sometimes I get a deja-vu feeling on discussion boards, since I bounce around between a few of them...I hope I have not posted this query before, feels as if I have, and if I have, then my apologies for repeating myself...am getting older, I have to say)

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I can agree with that. It would have been better trimmed way done. I liked the weirdness of thing.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I loved it at first, but then it just went on, and on, and on.......They could have trimmed an hour off of it and not lost anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X