Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theli View Post
    Just watched Sinister the other night. I really like the story, and Ethan Hawke plays his role well, but I found the execution lacking. There's no suspense, and they basically tell you exactly what is going on halfway through the movie then pretend that you don't know for next half. I loved the found footage tapes, very eerie. Bughuul was pretty cool too, I'd like to see more of him. He kind of looked like a member from a black metal band.
    I enjoyed this one. I would agree with your review.

The worst part was sitting in a theatre with a bunch of teenagers who scream at every little thing. My daughter, who was 13 when we saw it, thought it was lame though. LOL

Hard to find a truly scary movie - The Conjuring looks promising though.

Comment

Seven Psychopaths was a blast and should be run on a triple-bill along with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and In Bruges. Sam Rockwell once again reminded me why I check out everyone of his movies with another great character performance. Ridiculous and fun, yet rather heartfelt. Highly recommended. A+

42 was well-written, well-acted, and well-directed, though it didn't quite hit the emotional highs that I expected. I love sports movies (though I don't have any affinity for sports at all) so I knew that I would enjoy it. B+

Pacific Rim was a letdown for me. I loved the robots and I loved the monsters and I loved the huge fight scenes, but when that was going on I was left with caricatures instead of characters and a plot that felt rehashed from numerous other movies including the ending that was almost completely lifted from another sci-fi blockbuster. I guess I just expected more from Del Toro. Still there was big robots fighting monsters... A solid C

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        Personally I'm not really a fan of Seth Rogan.
        I'm right with you, Dan! I never understood his appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          I'm right with you, Dan! I never understood his appeal.
          For me, I like him, he fits his roles well IMO. Not the funniest actor mind you. Comedic stars are very much a matter of personal preference it seems. Some like Steve Carrel (sp?), some don't - I am in the group that doesn't really find him that funny. Some love Jim Carrey, some don't, etc. I find Wil Ferrell very funny for the most part, others can't stand his comedy.

Comment

Yea I pretty much don't like any of the newer comedies. With the exception of anything Simon Pegg is in. Other than his movies I can't remember the last newer comedy I liked.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

A lot of times I like movies that make a lot of "retro" references - growing up in the '80s probably has a lot to do with it too. Examples - Hot Tub Time Machine - I loved it, it was funny, great music. Also - as lame and corny as Land of The Lost was, I actually quite enjoyed it, as I loved the show as a kid watching it on TV. What young boy doesn't love dinosaurs!?!?!

I find I like a lot Danny McBride stuff too. Off the wall, silly.

Comment

Red 2 was pretty much what I was expecting it to be: light-hearted action-comedy fun. As one would suspect when seeing any sequel, it didn't quite live up to its predecessor. I really missed having Morgan Freeman around to balance out the group. Without him, Malkovich's character gets a lot more screen time and therefore the manic over-the-top paranoid delusions had to be toned down (so no more guns in stuffed animals, dang it!). Overall, I liked it though I'm a sucker for a Bruce Willis movie so your mileage may vary.

Comment

I actually thought it was better than the first but I haven't watch that since it came out on blu ray probably.

Comment

The Conjuring: There's a cool retro 70's vibe going on here with the great cinematography, slow-building suspense, and old school shocks. It covers familiar territory, but does so with an intense style that is refreshing and frankly...scary.

4.5/5

With Saw, Insidious, and now The Conjuring, Wan has proven himself to be a horror director of distinction. In an interview about the making of Saw, Wan said that after the intial filming was done, he realized he had made an almost unbearably intense PG-13 film--not what he had contracted with the studio to deliver, so he had to go back and shoot the gory scenes.

THAT is a film I would love to see. Just like the Richard Donner version of Superman II, maybe this one will eventually surface...
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                      The Conjuring: There's a cool retro 70's vibe going on here with the great cinematography, slow-building suspense, and old school shocks. It covers familiar territory, but does so with an intense style that is refreshing and frankly...scary.

4.5/5

With Saw, Insidious, and now The Conjuring, Wan has proven himself to be a horror director of distinction. In an interview about the making of Saw, Wan said that after the intial filming was done, he realized he had made an almost unbearably intense PG-13 film--not what he had contracted with the studio to deliver, so he had to go back and shoot the gory scenes.

THAT is a film I would love to see. Just like the Richard Donner version of Superman II, maybe this one will eventually surface...
                      I was hoping somebody here would get to this and post a brief review. I think I may actually go see this at the theatre - on cheap night probably. It sure looks promising!!!!

Comment

Saw The Conjuring tonight and really enjoyed it. It was an old school thriller. It felt like it could have been a little shorter and the hand held camera shots were not needed in my opinion. It actually had a good story, used suspense rather than in your face horror and was just a well told story overall. One of the better horror movies I have seen in a while. They also showed a preview of the new Carrie at the opening and it looked like it has some promise.

Comment

I went on Saturday to see The Conjuring. It was good. I had one person with me who was disappointed as they were expecting it to be in the class of The Exorcist - a little too high with expectations. Anyways..... I thought the story line was well played out, and the actors did a wonderful job in the roles they were cast. There was not any need for fancy CGI effects, and that worked well. I would say it's one of the better "scary" movies I've seen recently for sure. It was scary to a point, although I am waiting to see a movies that scares the socks off me. One other person with me didn't like it - they don't find movies this to be scary - to them scary is stuff like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw, Saw... this same person though Sinister was lame.

I really enjoyed The Conjuring - again, it's certainly not the best movie, but it was the price of admission.

Comment

I saw The Wolverine this past weekend. It was a pretty good movie if you're a fan of the comic book movies. I look forward to what else they have in store for our mutant heroes.
                            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Super hero movies are hit and miss just like anything else IMO, but as far as I am concerned X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the best X-Men movie (actually I didn't really like any of the others much), and he's one of my favourite Marvel characters, so i will give it a watch this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I saw The Wolverine this past weekend. It was a pretty good movie if you're a fan of the comic book movies. I look forward to what else they have in store for our mutant heroes.
                                Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                Super hero movies are hit and miss just like anything else IMO, but as far as I am concerned X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the best X-Men movie (actually I didn't really like any of the others much), and he's one of my favourite Marvel characters, so i will give it a watch this weekend.
                                I saw The Wolverine last weekend too. I loved it. Hugh Jackman is fantastic as Wolverine. I am happy that all the comic book fans have grown up and are putting serious money into making these movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X