No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to see that one. It opens at 0007 on Friday (keeping with the james bond theme)
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Skyfall: This one openned in IMAX on 08Nov; regular screen presentation on 09Nov. Siep said it best: best Bond film in many, many years. I'd say since at least 1989's Licence to Kill, maybe even since 1977's The Spy Who Loved Me. One of a small handful of great Bond movies, quite a feat to pull off after the abysmal (and worst) Bond outing in Quantum of Solace. Craig finally seems comfortable in 007's skin, and Judi Dench is surpisingly given one of the meatiest roles of her distinguished carrer. The openning sequence is nothing short of brilliant and sets a new standard for fruit cart scenes.

This is the direction I felt Bond should have gone in after Timothy Dalton (my favorite Bond) gave up the role: make the Bond series a director's showcase. Here we have an A-list director in Sam Mendes and it shows, instilling life and vibrancy into stock Bond moments. And with Roger Deakins (the cinematographer of most Cohen Brother movies) behind the camera lense, this movie is as beautiful as it is exciting to watch.

Then there's the villian plalyed by Javier Bardem; not your typical Bond Baddie bent on world domination, but and equally memorable one: intelligent, charming, eloquent with some of the best dialog in the movie.

Finally, we get to the Bond girl: always physically beautiful, and sometimes even deadly. Here we've got two which fit the bill, but they are pretty lackluster--one for a reason, the other is disposed of in relaively quick fashion. But it doesn't matter, because we all know that the real Bond girl always ends up in JB's arms at the end of the movie. Which makes Judi Dench THE Bond girl of Skyfall. I'll leave it at that.

This my favorite Bond movie, second only to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. In that movie, the actor playing Bond (George Lazenby) is insignificant to the scenery and action--which might explain why I thought Bond should become a director's showcase.

4.5/5

I'm docking it a half point because I don't remember JB actually retrieving the spy list that started the whole affair. If I missed this information in the movie, bump it up to a 5/5.
      Last edited by srboone; 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        I have to admit, I've missed your "I hate you"'s. Hope things are going well for your after your relocation.
        All is going well, started my third job since getting here on monday. I think this one will stick for a while til I have to move again. It's a great job. Reception/Broker support at an insurance company.

Comment

Great to hear that, Teri.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I managed to get out and see Skyfall yesterday thanks to Squire info about it being out in imax a day early. It was a fantastic movie, and probably my favorite so far. Honestly I've enjoyed Daniel Craig as Bond much more than any of the other Bonds. It's a dark / gritty bond, which I think makes the character more believable, and enjoyable. At least for me it does. My favorite Bond movie to date. Also I think the recovery of the stolen list was implied.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I would have preferred it to be stated, though. I was also thinking that perphaps M pulled all of the agents out after the first 5 were exposed. That would make the list useless. But it is one of the great Bond movies.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Man with the Iron Fists: Very few rappers have have gone on to sucsessful acting careers and still fewer have made the transition to director sucsessfully (can't think of one right off-hand ). RZA is not one of them. An incoherent plot, a mish-mash of time periods, the occasional bout of terrific martial arts choreography obscured by terrible editing and a bizzare turn by Russell Crowe as the sexually adventurous Jack Knife make for a so-pathetic-it's-ocassionally-funny movie experience. The odd piece of wit on display here is probably the work of Eli Roth, who co-wrote the screenplay. At least there was some interesting bloodletting...Not nearly as cool and hip as it thinks it is, this is a rental at best.

But there can be no "good" movies with out the "bad" ones, so I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

2/5
                Last edited by srboone; 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Man with the Iron Fists: Very few rappers have have gone on to sucsessful acting careers and still fewer have made the transition to director sucsessfully (can't think of one right off-hand ). RZA is not one of them. An incoherent plot, a mish-mash of time periods, the occasional bout of terrific martial arts choreography obscured by terrible editing and a bizzare turn by Russell Crowe as the sexually adventurous Jack Knife make for a so-pathetic-it's-ocassionally-funny movie experience. The odd piece of wit on display here is probably the work of Eli Roth, who co-wrote the screenplay. At least there was some interesting bloodletting...Not nearly as cool and hip as it thinks it is, this is a rental at best.

But there can be no "good" movies with out the "bad" ones, so I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

2/5
                  That's about what I expected it to be. I still want to go see it though, I love a "good" crappy martial arts movie. I also want to get out to see Wreck It Ralph, I've heard good things about it.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Finally Got to see a trailor for World war Z... now have to wait a long 7 months for the movie to come out. I also want to see Zone 261 when and if that ever comes here. Another Zombie movie that looks good is the russian film Winter of the Dead. ........This is not a movie but American Horror Story is a great series.

Comment

Wreck-it-Ralph: The bad guy of a 30-year-old video game wants to be a good guy just for once, so he hops games in hopes of getting a medal. After a grand set up (in which a surge board becomes "Game Central Station"), the movie focuses on one game and loses a lot of the momentum it built up. Never as imaginative as I wanted it to be, and despite the annoying Sarah Silverman, WiR is very entertaining family fare.

3.5/5

Spoiler!
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Lincoln: What a splendid movie this is! In the final months of his presidency, Lincoln must contend with ending a civil war and abolishing slavery (which won't happen if the democratic southern states are allowed to vote on it.) Part robust history lesson, part intimate family drama, and part political handbook, Lincoln is a movie that promises greatness and delivers. With masterful performances by Day-Lewis and Jones (at his growling, obstinate best), this movie ranks with Spielberg's best. Do we have another Schindler's List on our hands here? Time will tell, though the world will little note, nor long remember what was said here...

5/5
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

American Psycho: I had to revisit this movie after reading the book. AP the movie misses the mark set by and fails to attain the satiric heights of Ellis' book, but I don't think director Harron was shooting for that. She took the material and turned it into feminist indictment of the shallowness of the Wall Street set (and materialism in general). And as THAT, it works for the most part. Chrisitan Bales' dynamic performance really helped (though there were many times when I thought I was watching Jim Carrey playing Bateman!)

In the book, I remember when the character of Timothy "Price" just disappeared, finally returning in the last chapters a sadder, but wiser man; in the movie, the character of Timothy "Bryce" disappears, but you don't notice at all until someone informs you that he's returned. (A deleted scene makes sense of this and I can't understand why it was cut.)

Anyway, I don't view this film as a great movie, nor do I view it as a mysoginist piece of trash, but actually as a flawed masterpiece.

3.5/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wreck-it-Ralph: The bad guy of a 30-year-old video game wants to be a good guy just for once, so he hops games in hopes of getting a medal. After a grand set up (in which a surge board becomes "Game Central Station"), the movie focuses on one game and loses a lot of the momentum it built up. Never as imaginative as I wanted it to be, and despite the annoying Sarah Silverman, WiR is very entertaining family fare.

3.5/5

Spoiler!
                            Overall This movie was not very good. Was not NEARLY as funny as it could have been. Decent story but it was just ODD.

Spoiler!

Comment

SkyfallI'm docking it a half point because I don't remember JB actually retrieving the spy list that started the whole affair. If I missed this information in the movie, bump it up to a 5/5.
                              Just saw this yesterday. Great movie. A comment on the list.

Spoiler!
                              Last edited by Joe315; 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the list is definitely a mcguffin in the movie. I saw Skyfall again and it gets a 5/5.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X