Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lou Sytsma View Post
    Thanks Dan.

Batman Begins ends up being the best of the three for me because it has the tightest story whereas the other two feel bloated to me. With TDKR the running time really felt noticeable. In the TDK it is not as problematic because of Heath Ledgers's performance and the 'wants to see the world burn' nature of the Joker.

The biggest problem I have with TDKR is there is too much story to tell. It could almost be a trilogy itself.
    I can agree with that.

Spoiler!
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Yes I imagine if someone is a big Batman comic book fan, if you sit back and think about the timeline in these movies, Bruce Wayne was Batman for only a year or two at most; that aspect of Nolan's movies will not sit well with them. So a lot of material from the comic books can never happen.

Nolan certainly brought his vision to the Batman. And a profitable one at that. Nolan's vision is so strong that I do not envy the next creative team tasked with bringing more Batman movies to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Sytsma View Post
        Yes I imagine if someone is a big Batman comic book fan, if you sit back and think about the timeline in these movies, Bruce Wayne was Batman for only a year or two at most; that aspect of Nolan's movies will not sit well with them. So a lot of material from the comic books can never happen.

Nolan certainly brought his vision to the Batman. And a profitable one at that. Nolan's vision is so strong that I do not envy the next creative team tasked with bringing more Batman movies to the screen.
        No I most certainly don't envy them either. Though I think it can be done, there are a lot of good directors / writers out there, and there's a lot more story that I feel should be told.

Instagram

Comment

I may be the only one, but I'd have loved to have seen a movie about Azrael, who came onto the scene while Bruce Wayne was recovering from what Bane did in the comics.

Spoiler!
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
            I may be the only one, but I'd have loved to have seen a movie about Azrael, who came onto the scene while Bruce Wayne was recovering from what Bane did in the comics.

Spoiler!
            I didn't think about that. Azrael was a viscous SOB. It'd be interesting and I'd watch it.

Instagram

Comment

Watched a few over the weekend:

Get the Gringo: 4/5 - Really liked this one. The setting (a Mexican prison) was really well put together, Gibson was in good form, and even though the story has been done before, it was put together in a fresh and entertaining way.

Contraband: 3.8/5 - Not bad. Not much else to say about it.

Comment

I've been reading a lot of griping on other sites about the liberties it the trilogy took with Batman's character and timeline. Also about some details in TDKR: such as the citizens of Gotham still looking clean and healthy after 3 months og being besieged by the Occupy Gothamers. This is a Batman movie, not the comics, so the first doesn't bother me. The second is an example of the great fault of the movie--the details. Nolan was never one for the details, he's best when he's telling a big story and barely keeping in check.

The first movie IS the tightest story and each successive movie is more chaotic than the last. TDKR is a big sprawling movie. I think TDK represent a near perfect middle ground between "tight" and "loosely structured." The structure of the three films perfectly represents the progression of the personality (and plight) of Batman through the trilogy. The three code words Nolan had for his movies are apt: Fear (BB), Chaos (TDK), and Pain (TDKR).
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Total Rekall: This second go-around at the Phillip K Dick story has upgraded visuals--the societies of the United Federation of Britain and the Colony, connected by the Fall (an elevator/subway that goes through the core of the Earth) are knockouts of production design--but everything else that made the original a classic is sacrificed: character, head games, heart, and MARS! Some pretty good ideas about technology and society are explored in the movie, but there's nothing to make it resonate. While this new Rekall is technically a well-made movie, it has no sense of fun about it. The wry humor of the Schwarzenagger vehicle is missing. There was one nudge-nudge-wink-wink moment of humor that's worth a smile during this turgid film, but that's it. This is a rental movie at best.

2.5/5
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I was thinking about seeing that at the drive in tonight. Might anyway for the hell of it. It's not often the drive in plays two movies I haven't seen. Unfortunately they happen to be total recall and Step Up Revolution. Although I will admit dance movies are my guilty pleasure but the stories generally suck. I just like to watch ppl dance. lol

Comment

Here now actually...waiting for it to get dark.

Comment

I'd love to say that was a waste of money but I still really enjoyed my trip to the drive in. Total Recall was BORING and Step Up was BAD even for a step up movie. Moose was only in it for 5 minutes, WTF was that shit? There wasn't much of a story and it was just a bunch of flash mob dances. It barely showed them getting ready for it or coming up with the shit they did. they're like hey lets to it here, cut scene, then Flash mob and everythings perfect. Anyway they both sucked but I had a good time with Mase

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                          Total Rekall: This second go-around at the Phillip K Dick story has upgraded visuals--the societies of the United Federation of Britain and the Colony, connected by the Fall (an elevator/subway that goes through the core of the Earth) are knockouts of production design--but everything else that made the original a classic is sacrificed: character, head games, heart, and MARS! Some pretty good ideas about technology and society are explored in the movie, but there's nothing to make it resonate. While this new Rekall is technically a well-made movie, it has no sense of fun about it. The wry humor of the Schwarzenagger vehicle is missing. There was one nudge-nudge-wink-wink moment of humor that's worth a smile during this turgid film, but that's it. This is a rental movie at best.

2.5/5
                          That was my gut instinct seeing the previews. Thanks for saving me a trip to the theater.

Comment

Just saw Recall last night, it was alright. I'd watch it again but not high on my list to own.

Comment

"Friends With Kids" -4.5/5, only because I started thinking "Geez, this is a long movie." But it was good, better than I expected. Laugh-out-loud funny in parts.

Comment

"Rampart" - I think I'll have to say 3 out of 5, because it didn't really end. I hate that. It was interesting but started to drag halfway through, and by the time it was over the "no ending" thing was even more of a let-down.

Comment

Working...
                                X