X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    The Block Island Sound. 3/5

Decent movie drawn out a little much. The use of ominous music was nice but overused, premise is solid, there is a lack of character development, but overall it was effective at keeping me entertained/interested.

I wish I could say more however I don't want to give anything away for those interested.

Leave a comment:

• Gwace
    replied
    Spam
    Last edited by Gwace; 01-30-2024, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    The Borderland/Final Prayer. 3.5/5

Solid found footage movie with a bit of an odd ending. The whole thing kept my interest, lightly touched on some elements which are creepy, and overall worth a watch. I will say that I'm not sure they managed to make the entire thing coherent but they gave it a good go.

You seem to recently be hitting all the movies that have been on my radar.  I'm kind of a  sucker for a decent found footage flick and this has been on my list for a while. Reviews, overall, seem to be middling, as is yours, but I still need to check it out. 

By the way, how did you watch this?  

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    The Borderland/Final Prayer. 3.5/5

Solid found footage movie with a bit of an odd ending. The whole thing kept my interest, lightly touched on some elements which are creepy, and overall worth a watch. I will say that I'm not sure they managed to make the entire thing coherent but they gave it a good go.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    If you have the opportunity to watch this let us know your thoughts. I'm not sure this is horror but its certainly something devilishly good.

Will do, but it might be a little bit for a get around to it.  My To-Watch pile is starting to get as unwieldly as my TBR pile!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    If you have the opportunity to watch this let us know your thoughts. I'm not sure this is horror but its certainly something devilishly good.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I heard quite a bit of buzz about this movie and then it seems as if it wound up pretty divisive with audiences.  Like you, I am a big fan of dialogue-driven films, especially two-handers, so I'm still planning on checking it out.  

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Nefarious. A+

I love dialogue driven movies and this one was just about perfect. A couple minor hiccups but overall a rock solid film. Original, smart, and intense. I wasn't convinced they could nail the ending but I think they did.
    I heard quite a bit of buzz about this movie and then it seems as if it wound up pretty divisive with audiences.  Like you, I am a big fan of dialogue-driven films, especially two-handers, so I'm still planning on checking it out.  

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Leave the World Behind 2 out of 5.

This one had everything I wanted in regards to concept. Catastrophe, World Ending Scenario, and so many awesome thoughts that were ruined by an awful ending and writing that tried very hard to sneak in social talking points where they just weren't needed.

This was just about a flop to me.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Nefarious. A+

I love dialogue driven movies and this one was just about perfect. A couple minor hiccups but overall a rock solid film. Original, smart, and intense. I wasn't convinced they could nail the ending but I think they did.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Good to hear this! I've been torn on seeing it or not as I'm not a Zach Efron guy at all. Enjoy wrestling in general and always found their story interesting/tragic.Â
    My only reference for Zac Efron’s work before The Iron Claw was The Firestarter remake from a year or two ago, which was awful, and he was awful in it.

In TIC he comes off as, at least when speaking, very wooden and awkward, but I’m assuming that was what the director wanted to play the character of Kevin Von Erich.

They definitely played up the fact that Kevin was not as good on the mic or cutting promos as David was.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Went to see The Iron Claw the other night.

I really enjoyed it, though I think the pre-release Oscar hype is unwarranted.

As with any ‘inspired by a true story’ movie, there was a very liberal interpretation with the actual events portrayed in the film, and there was a lot to fit into a movie with a running time of just over 2 hours. I don’t think the movie was near as dark as the real life story it was trying to tell.

Still, all in all, I thought this was a pretty worthy effort to tell the story of the Von Erichs.

B
    Good to hear this! I've been torn on seeing it or not as I'm not a Zach Efron guy at all. Enjoy wrestling in general and always found their story interesting/tragic. 

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Went to see The Iron Claw the other night.

I really enjoyed it, though I think the pre-release Oscar hype is unwarranted.

As with any ‘inspired by a true story’ movie, there was a very liberal interpretation with the actual events portrayed in the film, and there was a lot to fit into a movie with a running time of just over 2 hours. I don’t think the movie was near as dark as the real life story it was trying to tell.

Still, all in all, I thought this was a pretty worthy effort to tell the story of the Von Erichs.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Picked-up "Mother's Day" on 4K via the Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday event. Had never seen it before and finally got around to watching it. Holy crap, that's a twisted movie. Definitely one of the better things that Troma has ever released. The disc also had fantastic special features, as is usual with VS releases. Had no idea of the film's ties to Friday the 13th until watching the commentary. Eli Roth also has a fantastic featurette regarding the movie, which helped me appreciate it even more. Overall, I'm glad that I finally got around to watching this film and get why it's considered a seminal horror movie.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    My wife wanted to watch one of her favorite Christmas movies yesterday, so we sat down for our almost-annual rewatch of the Kate Winslet/Cameron Diaz rom-com THE HOLIDAY. I've gone back and forth on the movie over the years, vacillating from loving it to thinking that it barely holds together, but I think that I finally settled on that it's a nice little confection of a movie. It does pretty much nothing new in the genre, but everyone is charming and charismatic, and the subplot with Eli Wallach's old screenwriter character is fun.

Another perennial holiday rewatch is LOVE ACTUALLY, but we forego it this year for a different film by writer/director Richard Curtis: ABOUT TIME. This film about a young man who discovers that the men is his family can travel through time is really buoyed by the cast. Domnhall Gleeson has quietly been moving up my list of favorite actors. I might not like everything that he is in, but I always find him interesting. LOVE ACTUALLY alum Bill Nighy always makes a film for me as he's just so darn fun to watch. And, really, Rachel McAdams should be a much bigger star than what she is. The movie might just be full of plot holes and the whole time travel mechanics are pretty much glossed over, yet I enjoyed it. And there was a pre-famous Margot Robbie in it as an extra bonus! If you like sentimental rom-com-ish movies, then you could do worse than this one.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Re-watched It's a Wonderful Life. Still 5 out of 5 stars for me.

I just love this movie and enjoy watching it over the holiday season.
    My wife and I sat down to actually watch the movie (you know, instead of just allowing it to play as background noise on whatever channel was showing it) and I really, truly liked the movie. It is a little overly sentimental, but that's also part of the charm. Christmas is a time to be sentimental and the movie definitely fits the bill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X