Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Safe House: A cookie-cutter CIA corruption/double espionage story that has two exceptionally strong central performances; Denzel Washington excels at playing dark characters who realize they are in too deep to turn back and Renyolds is a proven action star with solid acting chops (when he doesn't let himself get in the way). The action is shot using a shaky handi-cam with quick-cut editing that unfortunatly makes the action incomprehensible and the script is weak to say the least. Still, an action sequence on the rootops of Lamba Township in South Africa is exciting and flows rather well. Overall, a forgettable actioner that would have done better to make itself a character study (ala Training Day.)

2/5
    Thanks for that one. I remember feeling very underwhelmed and so-so about this one when I saw the previews. Probably wouldn't have watched it anyway, but that just gives me confirmation that I should skip it unless I see it as an instant view selection on Netflix.

As far as Training Day is concerned, I knew a few people that didn't like it and heard pretty mixed reviews overall but I personally enjoyed that one a lot.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Comment

You're welcome.

When I went to the theater for the midnight premiere, it was jammed-packed! I thought "Wow! I guess Star Wars has caught on with a new generation!" But they weren't there for The Phantom Menace 3D. They were all there to see...The Vow! I've never seen so many guys look so uncomfortable standing in line to see a movie. Now I think Channing Tatum can be a pretty good actor at times: I liked him in Fighting and he was the best thing about The Dilemma; but as long as he remains a draw for the sappy romance crowd, he'll never develop out of the Lifetime movie actor he's destined to become. 21 Jump Street will not do him any favors, either, I think; though he can surprise at times.

But, in today's movie market, the important thing is just to keep your name out there, be it in good or bad films. I saw an interview with Alec Baldwin (again, an actor who can be very good when he doesn't get in his own way) say he doesn't watch his own movies. He knows that he's made a lot of stinkers. Contrast that to Ernest Borgnine, who has made nearly 100 movies in his career who proudly claimed that he's seen every one of his films and even had the gall to anounce that 2 films he was in were in his top 5!

Movies AND movie actors aint what they used to be...
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Hey, Squire, I think you phrased that wrong. It Academy Award winner for Best Actor, Ernest Borgnine. You get to say that about yourself, even when your latest credit is voicing a 3rd string character on SpongeBob Squarepants.
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

But when trying to "keep yourself out there", Mermaid Man from Spongebob Squarepants is pretty good compared to most of the crap Hollywood puts out today. Besides, EB was asked out that, too, and he said "Call me Ernie." And he was Harry the Records keeper in "Red."

But EB will always be Dutch Engstrom from "The Wild Bunch" to me.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Watched a couple of films worthy of a mention this past week.

Biutiful - starring the excellent Javier Bardem. Hard to say you 'enjoy' this film but I certainly found the experience worthwhile. Centers around a character who exploits others to make a living, while coming to terms with his immanent death and trying to make sure his children are cared for after his passing. (9/10)

I saw the Devil - Korean film with a great twist. A serial killer becomes the hunted when his latest victim turns out to the fiance of a special agent (highly trained to kick ass!). Really enjoyed this one! (9/10)
            Tasmaniac Publications - dedicated to quality horror and crime
            http://www.tasmaniacpublications.com

Comment

Watched The Vow on Valentine's Day and was surprised that I actually liked it a bit. I don't have a hate for chick flicks, but expected to be a little bored during this one. It kept my interest though and I'd have to give it B

Purchased and watch The Help today and would definitely give this one an A+. The movie was well acted throughout and an emotional, entertaining, funny, irritating (Certain characters, not the movie itself), and satisfying movie. All the buzz I have heard regarding this one were absolutely correct. I was interested in this movie before I heard any of the buzz simply to see Viola Davis in a lead role. I knew she was a great actress from seeing her supporting role in Doubt (Which I'd also give an A+) and wanted to see her as the star
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Chronicle: Three teen-agers stumble upon an entrance to a strange cave that seems to have been uncovered by a sinkhole. What they find there changes all of their lives forever. A "found footage" film with a twist. You don't know who found the camera and it's edited together with newsreel and secutiy camera footage. Not all camera angles make sense (for example, when one of the central characters shows up at a female blogger's house and it shows the back of the female's head as she speaks with him), and it appears to use several different qualities of film, though I think it showed one of the characters editing most of the film together on his computer; but it's a solid and effective story. I don't know that I'd rush out to see it it at your local theater (unless you're an incurable movie-theater junkie like me), but it's definitely worth a Redbox or Netflix look.

3.5/5
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The Girl Next Door - 10/11

Harold & Kumar's Xmas - Depends, if you like their humor 8/11. If not 4/11.

Bridesmaids - forced to watch this by the wife, but not awful. Some real funny scenes 9/11
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

That is fantastic. All those memories and faces gone, or maybe a lot older? That's great you have those moments captured in video and I'm sure they are beautiful.

Just got back 7 hours of home movies that my mother's father shot in the 1940s that I had transferred to DVD. Hadn't seen any of them before, but I spent a couple hours going through the first two DVDs. Found a stunning video of my grandmother (the one who gave me my love of reading) in her wedding dress and some video of my great grandparents who came over from Hungary at the turn of the century. No sound of course, but I had them put a soundtrack of various songs from the time period over the video.

I'm going to resist giving it a rating; bt needless to say, theses are the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
                    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

You're welcome.

When I went to the theater for the midnight premiere, it was jammed-packed! I thought "Wow! I guess Star Wars has caught on with a new generation!" But they weren't there for The Phantom Menace 3D. They were all there to see...The Vow! I've never seen so many guys look so uncomfortable standing in line to see a movie. Now I think Channing Tatum can be a pretty good actor at times: I liked him in Fighting and he was the best thing about The Dilemma; but as long as he remains a draw for the sappy romance crowd, he'll never develop out of the Lifetime movie actor he's destined to become. 21 Jump Street will not do him any favors, either, I think; though he can surprise at times.

But, in today's movie market, the important thing is just to keep your name out there, be it in good or bad films. I saw an interview with Alec Baldwin (again, an actor who can be very good when he doesn't get in his own way) say he doesn't watch his own movies. He knows that he's made a lot of stinkers. Contrast that to Ernest Borgnine, who has made nearly 100 movies in his career who proudly claimed that he's seen every one of his films and even had the gall to anounce that 2 films he was in were in his top 5!

Movies AND movie actors aint what they used to be...

Those are the guys who F'd up on Valentines day and had to make up for it. FYI Channing Tatum is a sexy Beast....just sayin'...

Comment

Well, I thought Rachel McAdams was quite fetching in her dainties in the tralier, but I wasn't gonna stand in line to see it.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                          The Girl Next Door - 10/11

Harold & Kumar's Xmas - Depends, if you like their humor 8/11. If not 4/11.

Bridesmaids - forced to watch this by the wife, but not awful. Some real funny scenes 9/11

Why are your ratings out of 11? Also i'd only give bridesmaids a -1/11 (if i were to randomly start ranking out of 11) yes i said -1 because Whats her face... itll come to me...Kristin Wiig is not funny AT ALL, EVER! I debated on giving it a 1 just because Melissa MacCarthy was pretty damn funny but there was just too much bad for the good stuff to possibly overcome.

EDIT: Harold and Kumar had too much stupid looking 3D stuff for someone not watching it in 3D but was an ok movie. NPH and WAFFLE BOT (God i loved the waffle bot) were awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                            Why are your ratings out of 11?
                            Because I made a crack about a rating scale that went to 11 (This is Spinal Tap) and Ken ran with it. He's the only one, tho. But we like him. He's ok.

REally.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Horrible Bosses: 4/5. Funny, raunchy, with some truly horrible employers and some genuinely likeable employees. Not recommended for the easily offended or politically correct crowds.
                              Then I guess I should see this one considering that I'm not easily offended or Politically correct...LOL....

Comment

I just saw Rampart with Woody Harrelson and Sigourney Weaver...I actually liked it 5/5. Woody plays a dirty cop in L.A....gee, why am I not surprised..hehe :P

Comment

Working...
                                X