X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Picked-up "Southern Comfort" (1981) on blu-ray during one of the last Vinegar Syndrome sales. Had never heard of the film before, but seeing as it was directed by Walter Hill who did The Warriors and had in it some of my favorite character actors like Powers Booth & Keith Carradine, I decided to give it a chance. Glad that I did as it was a very enjoyable film. Not exactly horror, but there were numerous scenes that had horror-trappings in them, and the cinematography was top-notch. The film probably should have been a hit, but I feel like there were two things holding it back from being more enjoyable. One, there really weren't any likeable characters in the film that you could root for. And two, is the ending of the film. It's not a bad ending per se, but it's definitely not what I would have chosen and feels very abrupt and a bit underwhelming. Even with those issues, I'd still rate the film very highly and doubt I'll see anything quite like it again. Glad to add this one to my Vinegar Syndrome collection.
    A favorite of mine since I was a kid, but....having only seen it on commercial TV, the ending always left me wondering if I had missing something. The freeze-frame of the faces always confused me.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Picked-up "Southern Comfort" (1981) on blu-ray during one of the last Vinegar Syndrome sales. Had never heard of the film before, but seeing as it was directed by Walter Hill who did The Warriors and had in it some of my favorite character actors like Powers Booth & Keith Carradine, I decided to give it a chance. Glad that I did as it was a very enjoyable film. Not exactly horror, but there were numerous scenes that had horror-trappings in them, and the cinematography was top-notch. The film probably should have been a hit, but I feel like there were two things holding it back from being more enjoyable. One, there really weren't any likeable characters in the film that you could root for. And two, is the ending of the film. It's not a bad ending per se, but it's definitely not what I would have chosen and feels very abrupt and a bit underwhelming. Even with those issues, I'd still rate the film very highly and doubt I'll see anything quite like it again. Glad to add this one to my Vinegar Syndrome collection.

Leave a comment:

• Chuggers
    replied
    Watched El Conde (spread out over the course of three nights) and I was just blown away. So well done, so beautifully shot. It's been on Netflix since September, one of the best new genre films I've seen in quite a while......very cool Vampire film, especially as I was reading Nestlings this weekend as well!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Finally got around to watching the new Dune. I liked it well enough. Important parts seemed rushed, and unimportant parts seem drawn out, and I had trouble connecting with anyone. Since this thread is for ranking movies I will say 3 out of 5 stars.

It didn't leave me wanting more or an intense desire to see the next release in the theater.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    LOL. Sounds like a watch for one of those days.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Yeah, you're not missing much.  It might be good for a rainy Saturday with nothing else on.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I hadn't see this one but you just confirmed my gut feeling about it.

Yeah, you're not missing much.  It might be good for a rainy Saturday with nothing else on.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I hadn't see this one but you just confirmed my gut feeling about it.

Watched Gran Turismo this weekend. The real-life story of taking an avid Gran Turismo player and turning them into a real race car driver is such an interesting idea, unfortunately the script is about as paint-by-numbers as possible. Archie Madekwe does a solid job in the lead and David Harbour is completely in his element as the grizzled, ever-doubtful vet who is tasked with leading his driver to victory, but the movie is just rather bland and mediocre.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Watched Gran Turismo this weekend. The real-life story of taking an avid Gran Turismo player and turning them into a real race car driver is such an interesting idea, unfortunately the script is about as paint-by-numbers as possible. Archie Madekwe does a solid job in the lead and David Harbour is completely in his element as the grizzled, ever-doubtful vet who is tasked with leading his driver to victory, but the movie is just rather bland and mediocre.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

The last of the trilogy, MAXXXINE, is finished, but I don't think they've set a release date yet. Really looking forward to it, especially after Mia Goth's performance in PEARL. If the Oscars didn't hate Horror, she should have at LEAST been nominated. She was outstanding.
    I've kinda been holding off on PEARL until MAXXINE comes out so I can watch all three in short time span. I'm rethinking that because this discussion has reignited that itch to see PEARL. Unfortunately, an Oscar nominations for horror will probably never happen in any significant way and sustained way. I thought for sure that the Academy would have to acknowledge Toni Collette's powerhouse of a performance in HEREDITARY. How that performance did not get all the nominations just completely baffles me.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied

I've heard that sentiment a lot. I still need to check it out.
    The last of the trilogy, MAXXXINE, is finished, but I don't think they've set a release date yet. Really looking forward to it, especially after Mia Goth's performance in PEARL. If the Oscars didn't hate Horror, she should have at LEAST been nominated. She was outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    X

Graphic, violent, and disturbing. A gore fest and terrifyingly, sickeningly, fantastic.Â

I'm not going to rate this one but feel this was a pretty darn good movie.
    I'm not much of a slasher fan, but I really enjoyed X.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Â If you liked X, make sure to watch the prequel, PEARL, which, IMO, was a much better film.
    I've heard that sentiment a lot. I still need to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Cool. I will keep an eye out for it. Thank you.

If you liked X, make sure to watch the prequel, PEARL, which, IMO, was a much better film.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    X

Graphic, violent, and disturbing. A gore fest and terrifyingly, sickeningly, fantastic. 

If you liked X, make sure to watch the prequel, PEARL, which, IMO, was a much better film.
    Last edited by dannyboy121070; 02-09-2024, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    X

Graphic, violent, and disturbing. A gore fest and terrifyingly, sickeningly, fantastic. 

Leave a comment:

Working...
X