No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboys vs Aliens...finally...5/5!!! Loved it.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Melancholia: Another cinematic bout of director Lars Von Trier's depression. After a spectacular prologue of the Earth being destroyed by the orbit of a previously undiscovered planet (accompanied by Wagner's majestic and apocalyptic "Tristan and Isolde"), we meet a seemingly happy newlywed couple on their way to the wedding reception. The bride, played by Kirsten Dunst, stops to admire an unusual star in the night sky (the planet Melancholia). After that, chaos takes hold, ruining everything. Is the bride's melancholic state caused by the appearance of the planet? has she always been that way? We don't know, but then nothing that happens does so with the urgency of a conventional plot. The movie is divided ito two parts: "Justine" (the bride) and "Claire" (her sister). And it seems that the two switch personalities in the second part. Beautiful in it's muted colors (just as the color and richness is drained from a melancholiac's world), operatic, and heart-wrenching, this movie isn't an easy ride. But then no Von Trier film is. But it's always worth it. The film stands for the idea that we are alone in the universe and nothing we do really matters. The irony is, of course, that because we are able to produce art like this film, that idea must be false--even if for a short time.

4/5
      Nice review! I second Pete's comment about a movie review blog. As for Von Trier ... I couldn't get through Antichrist, just a bit much for me.

Comment

Miracle on 34th Street ... last night was Frosty the Snow Man and Frosty the Snowman Returns (Ithink that is what it is called). The wife and kids and I love watching Christmas movies throughout the season leading up to Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve. We usually pick up 1 or 2 per year ... today we picked up Miracle on 34th Street (kids loved it, 1st time) and The Nativity. Looking forward to checking out The Nativity ...

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
          I never discount the idea that people can see things in movies I can't. Glad you liked it, Ken; I didn't give a 5, but then you didn't give Beyond Thunderdome a 5 as I did.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
            Nice review! I second Pete's comment about a movie review blog. As for Von Trier ... I couldn't get through Antichrist, just a bit much for me.
            But...this thread IS my movie blog! Unofficially, of course....
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ron K View Post
              Miracle on 34th Street ... last night was Frosty the Snow Man and Frosty the Snowman Returns (Ithink that is what it is called). The wife and kids and I love watching Christmas movies throughout the season leading up to Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve. We usually pick up 1 or 2 per year ... today we picked up Miracle on 34th Street (kids loved it, 1st time) and The Nativity. Looking forward to checking out The Nativity ...
              I love Xmas movies too, Ron. I also love Xmas music, which I am guilty of listening to in January...February...March...(an ex I'd rather not think about)...May...June...etc.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                I loved it to Ken. I'd probably give it a 4/5 though, it was completely enjoyable, but the plot was a little too thing for 5/5, in my opinion.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Hangover II was a bit repetitive, but there were some scenes that floored me enough to make up for it. Fun movie overall. 4/5
                  Last edited by ozmosis7; 12-11-2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

But wouldn't you want to see Ford and Craig in a straight Western?
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I never discount the idea that people can see things in movies I can't. Glad you liked it, Ken; I didn't give a 5, but then you didn't give Beyond Thunderdome a 5 as I did.
                      Ya, it happens. One of these days I'll have to watch Thunderdome again. But I think our big disagreement was the Bana Hulk, though. I generally enjoyed Thunderdome, but just didn't buy into a couple of things.

Comment

But wouldn't you want to see Ford and Craig in a straight Western?
                        I really enjoyed Ford's character a lot, myself.

Comment

He did bring a lot to the role, as he always does. The last western I saw him in was The Frisco Kid with Gene Wilder, his first post Star Wars effort.
                          Last edited by srboone; 12-11-2011, 05:48 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

As I do every year at this time, I watched the great Christmas slasher film, Silent Night, Deadly Night. I will watch it again 7 days from now and again on Christmas Eve for a total of 3 viewings. All of you guys must watch it. For me it's a Christmas tradition going back to around 1988 when I first saw this wonderful film via VCR and VHS.

Comment

I dug Cowboys and Aliens, with Solo and Bond how could you not? Also just watched Conan. Don't see it so much as a remake as a different story. I liked it, 4/5.

Comment

Bag of Bones: It's been 12 years since I read BoB, but I remember it as one of King's most personal books and definitely his most romantic. And that's what's missing from this adaptation. Director Garris gets some terrific performances out of Brosnan, George, and Gish; as well as a marvelous period turn by Rose as Sarah Tidwell. He also has all the mystery and suspense that rests at the heart of King's novel, but none of the soul. It is watchable, though, as a suspense/thriller. Not the best King adaptation, but not the worst.

3/5

I heard Brosnan mutter "Boo-yah Moon. What's Boo-yah Moon?" at one point. Is that in the book?
                                Last edited by srboone; 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X