No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Adjustment Bureau - 4.5/5 Really like PKD's stories and the movie held up pretty well in my opinion.

Next up, by popular demand (seems like everyone here has been watching this one lately)...... Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
      Haven't seen Black Christmas. A couple movies that had open-ended endings that I really liked were Children of Men and The Road
      You've never seen Black Christmas?? It has had a cult-like following since it's release in 1974. You have to buy it or rent it. It's a slick horror film that really keeps you guessing. Some people hated the ending and some loved it. At first, I hated it because I didn't really get it. Then I kept watching it over and over til it hit me. But it's a bizzare flick that's for sure but very well acted.

The Road. Is that the movie the takes place in the future after a nuclear holocaust and there's a man and and his boy who try to make it on their own??

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
        The Adjustment Bureau - 4.5/5 Really like PKD's stories and the movie held up pretty well in my opinion.

Next up, by popular demand (seems like everyone here has been watching this one lately)...... Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
        lol never seen them.

Comment

Bob Clark directed quite a few milestone movies--at least for me...

Black Christmas, A Christmas Story, and PORKY'S!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Took some time off from writing today to watch my favorite western movie of all time...

The Call Me Trinity

1,000,000/5
            Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
              You've never seen Black Christmas?? It has had a cult-like following since it's release in 1974. You have to buy it or rent it. It's a slick horror film that really keeps you guessing. Some people hated the ending and some loved it. At first, I hated it because I didn't really get it. Then I kept watching it over and over til it hit me. But it's a bizzare flick that's for sure but very well acted.

The Road. Is that the movie the takes place in the future after a nuclear holocaust and there's a man and and his boy who try to make it on their own??
              I'll have to try and get a hold of that one then, does sound good

And yes, that is The Road's premise. Never really said what happened to cause the scene's depicted, but definitely something horrible, possibly nuclear in nature. Definitely not a bright or happy movie, to say the least. The book it is based on is excellent as well, and I felt the movie did a very good job of bringing the book to the big screen
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

The Muppets: I resigned myself to watching another beloved nugget of my childhood get raped and abused by the Hollywood regime. These people have no shame. But every now and then, they get it right! The Muppets have all gone their separate ways, but when their old theater is threatened with destruction, it's up to Kermit to get the gang back together and put on a telethon to save the it. Starring the enchanting Amy Adams, Cris Cooper, a whole host of gratuitous cameos, and some schlub named Jason Segal, the movie preserves everything great about the muppets. The voices are different, obviously, but he personalities, morals and shenanigans are all intact. The songs are pretty pedestrian, and when the ensemble breaks out in "Rainbow Connection" it's both disappointing (because they had to use a song from the original) and moving (you want to go for your lighter). And the renactment of the opening of the old "Muppet Show" is simply wonderful. Some of the unexpected joys of the movie were: 1) inspired use of the song "We Built This City" by Starship; 2) a version of "Smells like Teen Spirit" that actually makes sense; 3) Cris Cooper rapping (not sure if I ever want to see that again, tho.); Jack Black not being irritating in a movie; muppet ninjas; Zach Gali...Gali...The Hangover dude as an audience of one; and the list goes on. Here's a revitalizaiton, reboot, reworking, updating of a classic TV series that seems fresh and original (though it most certainly is not.)

4.5/5
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                  Took some time off from writing today to watch my favorite western movie of all time...

The Call Me Trinity

1,000,000/5
                  Have not seen this one. I'm always up for a good western.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    Have not seen this one. I'm always up for a good western.
                    My brother and I found these when I was very young. The sequel is, "They Still Call Me Trinity." These are the old spaghetti western sort, so a lot of fun.
                    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Just how I like my westerns - spaghetti, extra sauce.

Comment

Hugo: This movie intrigued me. What kind of family film could entice the most gritty of New York filmmakers? A director who made his reputation in the filth and foul-ness of the mean streets? Turns out, it's about the magic of movies and the need for film preservation, another of Scorsese's passions. I like knowing nothing about a movie going into it (all I knew was that it was based on a children's book), the surprises it has in store are so much more enjoyable. And I broke my own rule and saw it in 3D--I figured if anybody could really make 3D work, Scorsese could. And I was right, because where most films deliver 3D in a way that is designed to knock the viewer's senses for a loop and then lay low for a while until it's time to do do again, the 3D in Hugo is used to add texture to the film in a way that isn't overpowering--immersing the viewer in the world of 1930's Paris and the story unfolding within the walls of the train station. The colors are darkened, the picture dingy-- it's unavoidable, you put on dark glassses, what you see is darker. But it works here (my father told me that Paris in the 30's and 40's was beautiful, but it WAS dingy)--it adds another dimenion to the film. Every frame of this movie is shaped by a magnificent artistry and wizardry, from the lovely steaming hallways within the clockworks to the recreation of vintage pioneering films. I wouldn't be surprised to find it an unexpectedly strong contender come Oscar time. Kudos all around for the actors in this fantasy, especially Sascha Baron Coen as a Buster Keaton-esque Stationmaster and Christopher Lee as a kindly bookseller. A beautiful, elegant and moving movie that speaks to the kid in all of us. Definitely not the Harry Potter knock-off the trailer makes it out to be.

5/5
                        Last edited by srboone; 11-25-2011, 05:37 PM.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Wow Squire, you should write reviews professionaly. You've just made me want to see a movie I had no interest in!

Comment

Thanks, Pete. I wrote them for my college newspaper and for the paper I apprenticed at, but lost interest relatively quickly. The above review for Hugo took me two hours to write. It takes a lot out of me. But again, thanks.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                              I'll have to try and get a hold of that one then, does sound good

And yes, that is The Road's premise. Never really said what happened to cause the scene's depicted, but definitely something horrible, possibly nuclear in nature. Definitely not a bright or happy movie, to say the least. The book it is based on is excellent as well, and I felt the movie did a very good job of bringing the book to the big screen
                              Do you have ON DEMAND? I just noticed lastnight under "Free Movies" and in the "Horror" category, Black Christmas is actually playing.

And I did like The Road but just assumed it had to be nuclear, but thinking about it now, there have been so many movies about a nuclear holocaust, it probably was indeed something else.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                                Do you have ON DEMAND? I just noticed lastnight under "Free Movies" and in the "Horror" category, Black Christmas is actually playing.

And I did like The Road but just assumed it had to be nuclear, but thinking about it now, there have been so many movies about a nuclear holocaust, it probably was indeed something else.
                                No, have not had cable in close to a year and a half now, but that's ok, can still find the movie elsewhere.

A lot of people actually assume that a nuclear holocaust/war is what happened to create the setting of The Road, but no reason is ever stated, even in the novel that the movie was based on. I personally don't know, very well could have been, but I don't know if that is my assumption. If it was, then it likely couldn't have occurred where the character were at or there'd likely be radiation sickness in them and others they meet along the way. I think that book is the only one I've read where the main characters aren't named at all, just Man and Boy
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X