Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ123
    replied
    Haven't seen this, and probably won't for now because I do not subscribe to the relevant streaming service, but on Tomorrow War: I am going to presume the aliens are those creatures running around in the trailer. If anyone has seen this, are those actually supposed to be the aliens, and by aliens I mean, intelligent beings invading the Earth? The reason I bring this up is I think it is becoming disappointing that we don't see extraterrestrials that are more like us in structure...I always assumed that would make more sense, at least in this part of the galaxy. If you think of something like Arrival or the aforementioned Quiet Place, the beings in those are more akin to creatures/animals than anything with intelligence.

I have not seen Place, so perhaps those are simply creatures that are not intelligent in the same way humans are. Here's what I would hope with War: the aliens running wild in the trailer are actually bioweapons designed by a rogue AI, either from a future Earth society (that uses time travel to send them in the past, which in the movie is the future) or from an alien society, that are being used to destroy human civilization for whatever purpose of said AI. Or at least something off the beaten path.

It's not that I am so limited in imagination that I can't suspect there could be a species in the galaxy that is intelligent and not like us in bio-design, it's just I wouldn't mind something a bit different. Even thinking about it, the invaders in Edge of Tomorrow were intelligent, correct? Can't really recall, and maybe I'm wrong in what I am assuming about these films (I just don't know/remember the specifics; I'm even hazy on whether the Xenomorph was intelligent in the same way Predator was), but anyway, please tell me what I am seeing in the trailer aren't soldiers as in Independence Day.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Did something today that I haven't done in 15 months.

Went to the movies!

Saw a Quiet Place Part II.

Liked it as much if not better than Part I.

With a lean 95 to 100 minute run time, nothing was wasted in this film.

Every scene was critical in moving the story forward.

My only complaint (minor) was a some what abrupt ending (not an unsatisfactory ending, but still some what abrupt).

Who would have ever thought that Jim from The Office would go on to create on of the best horror / action franchises of the 2000's??

Certainly left it open for a Part III.

B
    Am glad to hear that you enjoyed this film and that it held up when compared to the first one. I've been a bit worried about that as I felt that the first one really didn't need a sequel and was concerned that the sequel might just be a money grab to capitalize off of the first one's success.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Did something today that I haven't done in 15 months.

Went to the movies!

Saw a Quiet Place Part II.

Liked it as much if not better than Part I.

With a lean 95 to 100 minute run time, nothing was wasted in this film.

Every scene was critical in moving the story forward.

My only complaint (minor) was a some what abrupt ending (not an unsatisfactory ending, but still some what abrupt).

Who would have ever thought that Jim from The Office would go on to create on of the best horror / action franchises of the 2000's??

Certainly left it open for a Part III.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
    I recently finished Phase IV. I rate this one high, and should point out this is not my first time seeing it. Cool 1970s science-fiction (another one I think from around the same time that I have enjoyed, Zardoz). The way the story is told makes you think like you are reading one of those paperback novels from the time with those great covers that now stimulate feelings of nostalgia (and painfully so, I might add).

Could have used more voice-over, I think, to explain a bit more of what was going on. And funny, I always thought the phases referred to phases in space causing the ants to evolve, but I think it referred to the phases of the experiments/communications (I probably missed something along the way). I hope they didn't really kill the praying mantis in that scene, though! (I think some ants may have died, however.)

Wish some small press would license the rights to the novelization and bring that back into print for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, and I don't know what the last-sale prices really are, I cannot spring for a used copy at this time (or probably at any time)...reminds me to buy any and all novelizations that get released these days...
    Phase IV has been on my “track down” list of movies to see fir a while. There’s way too many movies! And I think this might be the first time Zardoz has been mentioned on the forum. You’ve got some deep dives going on!

I wonder how much interest there would be for reprints of movie novelizations? I know that some are incredibly hard to find and very expensive like Teddy, the novelization of the movie The Pit. I have some fondness for novelizations. I first read the novelization of Aliens before seeing the movie and it blew my mind as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I definitely get the in-the-mood aspect of Phantasm. I too want to get to the rest of the series. I was advised not to skip the second one as currently I would have to based on streaming needs, so I first will have to get to number-two before the rest.
    Yeah, I think part two is owned by a different studio (Universal?) than the rest which usually leaves it as the odd man out for various licensing.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    I recently finished Phase IV. I rate this one high, and should point out this is not my first time seeing it. Cool 1970s science-fiction (another one I think from around the same time that I have enjoyed, Zardoz). The way the story is told makes you think like you are reading one of those paperback novels from the time with those great covers that now stimulate feelings of nostalgia (and painfully so, I might add).

Could have used more voice-over, I think, to explain a bit more of what was going on. And funny, I always thought the phases referred to phases in space causing the ants to evolve, but I think it referred to the phases of the experiments/communications (I probably missed something along the way). I hope they didn't really kill the praying mantis in that scene, though! (I think some ants may have died, however.)

Wish some small press would license the rights to the novelization and bring that back into print for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, and I don't know what the last-sale prices really are, I cannot spring for a used copy at this time (or probably at any time)...reminds me to buy any and all novelizations that get released these days...

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    I definitely get the in-the-mood aspect of Phantasm. I too want to get to the rest of the series. I was advised not to skip the second one as currently I would have to based on streaming needs, so I first will have to get to number-two before the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I just rewatched PHANTASM recently and it did not work for me. I remember seeing parts of it as a kid and really liking it, but this time I was left rather cold. Maybe it was just my mood that day. I need to give it another shot. Arrow In the UK put out a box set of all five films so I’m tempted to pick it up and plow through the whole series.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I agree about My Octopus Teacher. What a great doc. I was wondering if I could get into at the outset, but, man, I got sucked in.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Saw My Octopus Teacher on Netflix a couple days ago...really outstanding documentary.
    That was an AMAZING documentary.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Saw My Octopus Teacher on Netflix a couple days ago...really outstanding documentary.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    One of my favorite Horror Films from that era.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    I'll have to check out Those Who Wish Me Dead. The trailer/promotion didn't resonate with me, but perhaps I should give it a try.

I just finished watching Phantasm on the Joe Bob Briggs Christmas special. Believe it or not, first time I ever saw it after obviously hearing all the references over the years (Tall Man, killer flying spheres, etc.). Briggs of course is always entertaining and smart in presentation. The movie itself was actually cool, if a bit slow and disorienting in terms of the way it was put together. I had a previous idea as to how the plot would go, something I assumed over the years, and was pleasantly surprised that it was completely different. I'll say this: they don't make movies like this anymore, which is ultimately a good thing - and what I mean by that is, movies simply are better made these days. However, I actually had a fun, relaxing time watching this, and enjoyed the change in pace compared to today's quick-cut slick-fests. Every once in a while (actually, more than once-in-a-while, I'm sure everyone will agree) you need to go back to your Fangoria-magazine days and forget all the current franchises and all the fun anthologies you find on today's streaming networks and just settle in for an older way of doing things.

Liked the whole planet thing, the Jawas, all of that. And the characters were fun...Reggie is great. I was disappointed that Briggs would not show the second movie, so I have to go to the third and fourth one and then track down the second one later. (This episode was a marathon of the series for Christmas Eve, or thereabouts, the year it was released, which I think was 2018...?) For those who may have seen this marathon, you may recall Briggs said he wouldn't play it because he was offended by the destruction of a rare vehicle by the filmmakers...I'm guessing that was a joke? As in, the second film was out of licensing range at the time? Who knows. But, yes, while not perfect, I enjoyed this nostalgic trip back to 1979 horror cinema. (And, interestingly, unless I missed it, while Briggs dissected many of the surreal elements of the movie and really dug into it with humorous analytical wit, the scene that really stuck with me was the one with the fortuneteller...she had that Dune-like box that magically disappeared! That would have been worth a whole verbal essay on its own.)
    I have always liked Phantasm. As you mention, it is very different than your typical horror movie. That's funny that Joe Bob Briggs wouldn't play the second movie as I personally think that it is the only one of the sequels worth watching. I would check out part two before watching three and four. To me, three and four are very different from the first two films in the series in both tone and content.

Leave a comment:

• JJ123
    replied
    I'll have to check out Those Who Wish Me Dead. The trailer/promotion didn't resonate with me, but perhaps I should give it a try.

I just finished watching Phantasm on the Joe Bob Briggs Christmas special. Believe it or not, first time I ever saw it after obviously hearing all the references over the years (Tall Man, killer flying spheres, etc.). Briggs of course is always entertaining and smart in presentation. The movie itself was actually cool, if a bit slow and disorienting in terms of the way it was put together. I had a previous idea as to how the plot would go, something I assumed over the years, and was pleasantly surprised that it was completely different. I'll say this: they don't make movies like this anymore, which is ultimately a good thing - and what I mean by that is, movies simply are better made these days. However, I actually had a fun, relaxing time watching this, and enjoyed the change in pace compared to today's quick-cut slick-fests. Every once in a while (actually, more than once-in-a-while, I'm sure everyone will agree) you need to go back to your Fangoria-magazine days and forget all the current franchises and all the fun anthologies you find on today's streaming networks and just settle in for an older way of doing things.

Liked the whole planet thing, the Jawas, all of that. And the characters were fun...Reggie is great. I was disappointed that Briggs would not show the second movie, so I have to go to the third and fourth one and then track down the second one later. (This episode was a marathon of the series for Christmas Eve, or thereabouts, the year it was released, which I think was 2018...?) For those who may have seen this marathon, you may recall Briggs said he wouldn't play it because he was offended by the destruction of a rare vehicle by the filmmakers...I'm guessing that was a joke? As in, the second film was out of licensing range at the time? Who knows. But, yes, while not perfect, I enjoyed this nostalgic trip back to 1979 horror cinema. (And, interestingly, unless I missed it, while Briggs dissected many of the surreal elements of the movie and really dug into it with humorous analytical wit, the scene that really stuck with me was the one with the fortuneteller...she had that Dune-like box that magically disappeared! That would have been worth a whole verbal essay on its own.)

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Watched 'Those Who Wish Me Dead' last night. A few elements were changed for the movie and a couple of loose ends are left with the changes. Overall a good movie that is action packed and stays true to the story.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X