Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate that, Siep!

And Kubrik is my favorite director, so it was hard for me to admit too (I was thinking about the scene where Kirk Douglas was walking through the frontline trenches in Paths of Glory when i wrote that. Rope is the Hitch fiml I'm thinking of, where it appears to be a film shot in a single take, but is actually 10 shots--the breaks occur when somehting dark crosses the screen; the camera used only held 10 minutes worth of film, so it was impossible to shoot a feature length film in one take.)
    Last edited by srboone; 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome: Ok, I watched this again for the nth time, but there's a reason. It's the best of the MM trilogy, IM(not too humble)O. Mad Max put Australian cinema on the map; The Road Warrior upped the ante for sequels when sequels actually mattered; But MM:BT did something wonderful: it moved the action into civilization, but what a civilization! Beautifully and fully-realized in all of it's grimy detail, Bartertown is George Miller's greatest creation; and he had it lorded over by a larger than life figure: Tina Turner. Then there's Thunderdome, a 3D set-piece in a 2D world. Talk about being ahead of it's time! And the kicker is, he didn't have to do it! He could have made a blockbuster RW clone and walked away. But he didn't and the movie-goers of 1985 were the better for it. This was my pick for the best film of 1985, and 25 years later, it still is. It's also one of the best of the 1980's.

Believe me, most of my friends have disagreed with me, some vehemently. But I stand by my opinion. This is one of the greats.

5/5
      Last edited by srboone; 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I'm not sure I would give it a 5/5, but I have to agree with you on the civilization aspect. THis was a very fun movie with some fun characters. I might give it a 4/5, but I truly loved the story.
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Oddly enough my current FB status from earlier this week is "Welcome to Thunderdome"

Comment

Last movie I saw was Drive. I actually liked the movie...Ryan Gosling's character didn't talk much, but when he did, he got his point across..lol.

Comment

In Time: What a great premise for a sci-fi movie! Time is money in the future, and the difference between the haves and have-nots is now immortality! God, I was excited to see this movie. After a terrific opening, tho, I'm sad to say, the movie just didn't know where to go. It became just a by-the-book action film; the premise was reduced to just a backdrop instead of propelling the story along. Timberlake and Murphy do their best, but the story defeats them in the end. There's only one standout scene in the movie (something that may crop up again in a James Bond movie sometim.); over all, IT is pretty pedestrian. And I kept wondering why Timberlake's character thought he could hide out in a place where he is the only one who doesn't have a full head of hair.

Oh, well....

2/5
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                And Kubrik is my favorite director
                As he's mine!
                (I think it's kinda neat -does anyone still use that word??- to share initials with my favorite director as well as my favorite author).
                What's your favorite Kubrick movie?

sk

Comment

2001! Followed by Dr. Strangelove , Barry Lyndon and The Shining
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

My Kubrick top-3:

2001: A Space Odyssey (favorite all-time movie)
                    A Clockwork Orange
                    Barry Lyndon

The Shining I just didn't care about too much. I had expected the horror movie of the century (the horror equivalent of 2001) - sparked by Time Magazine's cover story- but I was not scared in the least.
                    Jack Nicholson's ott performance had a lot to do with this, I think.

sk

Comment

Glad to BL on your list, too. I just think it's a beautiful movie and one of my favorite soundtracks. Long but never boring.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Phantom of the Paradise:

I'm not gonna waste words on reviewing this film; so, I'll give you one:

Spoiler!

The movie is a menage a troi of The Phantom of the Opera, The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
                        Last edited by srboone; 10-28-2011, 11:10 PM.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

You're welcome, Squire!
                          I only saw it once, in..1975(??), my first De Palma experience, and absolutely loved it.
                          Must be pretty dated by now though. Of course, I'm going to check out the BD edition.

sk

Comment

Very dated. But that only adds to it's charm.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Tintin - The Secret of the Unicorn

I grew up on Tintin -or, Kuifje, as he is called over here. From the moment I heard Spielberg was going to make this one of his projects, I couldn't wait to see the result. Of course, there were the trailers. They did not work for me. Didn't look convincing, didn't look like the Kuifje I knew. Tintin premiered in Brussels a couple of days ago and not only is it shown in Belgium, my nick of the woods also has the honor of testing the water so to speak.
                              Well, I was not impressed for the first couple of minutes: credits plus a-typical John Williams music. And I was prepared for a huge disappointment.
                              NOT!! Once Tintin gets going (almost from the get go) it's practically non-stop action all the way, and the Spielberg signature set-pieces are incredible. What didn't look convincing to me in the trailers, looked mighty impressive on the big Imax screen: photorealistic CGI images, thoroughly convincing, LOVED it. Weta has done an amazing job in bringing Tintin to the big screen. I think it's going to be huge in Europe (and Asia??). Don't know about the U.S., where the comics aren't that well known. Of course Spielberg has anticipated this: there's too much action, too much slapstick (that's not the Kuifje from the books) but he's forgiven. This is my favorite movie of the year so far. Can't wait to see what Peter Jackson will come up with (next year?).

*****/*****

sk
                              Last edited by frik51; 10-30-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

I'll be sure to check it out! I was actually going to pass because I have no idea who or what Tintin is. I'd better start researching...
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X