Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Finally got around to watching a movie that has been on my radar forever but that I have always resisted watching for some reason, An American Werewolf in London. Really annoyed with myself as I enjoyed the heck out of this one. Definitely in the running for best Werewolf movie of all-time. Think I was put off of it by every review mentioning how much humor is in the movie as I generally do not enjoy the funny/jokey horror movies. That being said, the humor in this one was pitch perfect and very very dark. The film was also much gorier than I expected. Overall, I am very glad that I finally gave this movie a chance and will now be recommending it as one of my top Halloween watches!
    Couldn't agree more. I have a confession as well. I've never seen The Howling and I think there are several of these? Having only the Werewolf in London to go off over; it's got to be the best transformation screen from man to wolf ever done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I have a confession as well. I've never seen The Howling and I think there are several of these? Having only the Werewolf in London to go off over; it's got to be the best transformation screen from man to wolf ever done.
      I have seen The Howling, and, while I liked The Howling, I didn't love it. If I only had the chance to watch one or the other, for my money, it would be An American Werewolf in London by a landslide. Also, yeah, that transformation scene by Rick baker in An American Werewolf in London is freaking amazing. Had heard about it in the past, but, it still managed to knock my socks off. I'm a huge mark for practical effects and this one was outrageously good, probably the best werewolf transformation scene in history.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I have seen The Howling, and, while I liked The Howling, I didn't love it. If I only had the chance to watch one or the other, for my money, it would be An American Werewolf in London by a landslide. Also, yeah, that transformation scene by Rick baker in An American Werewolf in London is freaking amazing. Had heard about it in the past, but, it still managed to knock my socks off. I'm a huge mark for practical effects and this one was outrageously good, probably the best werewolf transformation scene in history.
        Especially considering how old the film is now, it still holds up remarkable well. I like how it just didn't happen and the process was made to seem extremely painful. As I'm sure it would be. Like you know something bad is about to happen to your body and you have absolutely no control over it. A huge element of fear in that as well.

Comment

I just wrapped up a distracted viewing of a 1978 film called Magic starring Anthony Hopkins. In all honesty this film left me with a hole in my stomach.

3.5/5 distracted stars.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

The Night Eats the World.

Watched this mildly entertaining zombie movie today. It is one of those about a guy who ends up alone during the Z apocalypse. Nothing new here and nothing added to this particular genre of movie. It was just okay.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Comment

CANDYMAN (2021): I'm the first to admit that I have not jumped on the Jordan Peele bandwagon. I thought that GET OUT was a smart little thriller and enjoyed it quite a bit, but thoughtUS was not nearly as clever and interesting as most reviewers thought it was. So when his name was attached as a producer, it wasn't a natural "sale" for me. His movies did have enough interesting ideas in them, that I couldn't just dismiss the new Candyman movie out of hand. Now after watching it, I wish I had.

I loved the original CANDYMAN. It's a smart, atmospheric movie that didn't quite get the love it deserved upon release, but is now almost universally praised as one of the few great horror movies to come from the '90s. Bernard Rose took Barker's original story and crafted a scary urban legend that still speaks to the racial tensions in America without getting didactic or preachy. It was a horror movie first and foremost. It unnerved with it's hook-handed killer, but also with the poverty-and-crime-stricken Cabrini-Green and it's residents who constantly live in fear of the terrors of the real world.

Nia Dacosta's new movie on the other hand almost forgets it's a horror movie. It absolutely wants the viewer to know that it is about something. And it almost gets there. Almost. The ideas of gentrification, police violence against African-Americans, and this same violence used as subjects of art are all touched upon and how this relates to the legend of Candyman is interesting. The problem is the movie is too interested in those ideas, about being about something that it forgets to give us reasons to care about the characters, to give the viewer something to latch onto. The movie is even confused about who the protagonist of the film is, switching POV in a manner that leaves the viewer disengaged.

This new movie also commits the gravest of sin that a horror movie can make: it forgets to be scary. The movie lacks tension even as it ramps up the supposed horrors. In fact, the majority of the violence of happens just off-camera. I'm not a gorehound by any means, and leaving things to the imagination can be extremely effective, if shot properly. Unfortunately, that's not the case here. The scary scenes lay flaccid on the screen, bored. Even some of the line delivery in these scenes are laughable and out of step with the tone with rest of the movie ("Is this real?" One character asks as his lover bleeds out on the floor in front of him, her throat slit before his eyes.)

There is some great ideas in this new film (and the animation sequences are outstanding), but more than anything, it just doesn't work. An interesting misfire, but a misfire nonetheless.

Grade: D

Comment

Sock Monkey Thanks for the review. I wasn't overly interested in this remake as I thought the original was very good. I am also not on the Jordan Peele bandwagon. Get Out was okay but somehow lacking and I couldn't get into US.

Fairly disinterested in most remakes to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Sock Monkey Thanks for the review. I wasn't overly interested in this remake as I thought the original was very good. I am also not on the Jordan Peele bandwagon. Get Out was okay but somehow lacking and I couldn't get into US.

Fairly disinterested in most remakes to be honest.
                  Some remakes work, most don’t. I find the idea of most remake boring. This one is definitely more of a sequel to the original than a remake, which I did appreciate. I’m sure on paper this movie seemed like a masterpiece as the ideas are compelling. The execution just couldn’t make it work. It’s a frustrating movie to watch.

Comment

Working...
                  X